User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    orv
    Female
    Trading Score
    77 (100%)

My dog is very picky, one week she likes a food, and then will all of the sudden decide shes sick of it and I end up having to buy something else(not that shed starve because she gets a bite of most of what we eat, not all though because she has allergies..lol) Pedigree vitality is actually my brand of choice, 1 - because she actually likes it, emptys her bowl like a dog her size should and 2 - the coupons for it are awesome, im not rich, or well off by any means but i love my pets and don't believe they should ever go hungry(its not there fault and they can't understand why there tummys would be hungry) with the 3.00 coupons i can pick up a small bag of kibble for like 2.50 to get me through a week if need be. Lucky for me right now she has two great big bags of kibbles and bits(her second fave) so shes happy. and im happy. lol
    Niagara Falls for New years!!! YIPPY!!!!!

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

About 4 years ago i used to feel like you. I would NEVER feed my animals kibble with corn in it. Natural Balance was all i fed.
    But, when things got hard and i didn't have the money to buy that all the time because it was so expensive things changed.
    Now, i will feed what i have coupons for (Pedigree, beneful, Purina ONE, Dog Chow) mixed with a no/low corn brand (Natural Balance, Go, Innova, Eagle Pack, Blue). My aunt has been a well-known breeder of Labrador Retreivers for over 30 years. Showing dogs and Hunting dogs is what she does and she fed Nutri-source for a few years and has switched to some no name brand (can't remember the name right now) and says she will never go back because her dogs have been very healthy, shiny coats and still winning shows!
    Besides Cats are Carnivores and dogs are Omnivores so they do have very different needs which is way corn is worse in a cats diet then a dogs.

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pippinelkhound View Post
    I'm an Elkhound and feel qualifed to bark in on this topic.

My humans have tried me on many types of dog food. Hell, I eat my own poop if I'm bored. They tried me on Science Diet and I prefered my poop.

My first human left me. The family picked me up at a rescue shelter (well, actually I picked them but whatever makes them happy). I lived off shelter donations. I was just happy to have kibble in my bowl and a chance at new family.

I eat anything. Yes, I'm partial to salmon, chicken, and steak. The humans sneak me tidbits whenever they think my big brother who is supposed to feed me isn't looking. I only get those big jumbo bone things when the female human gets a coupon for them.

Now, I'm off to pee on the grass and sniff a garbage can.

Edited to add: it's hell typing without thumbs.

Don't forget to use those PEDIGREE coupons and help out a shelter dog!

too funny!
    I've earned $125 in Amazon GCs in 7 months with SWAGBUCKS! Click here & get started: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/LCFIXE
    AMEX GOLD REWARDS CARD - 1st year FREE & get 25,000 AEROPLAN POINTS when you spend $500 in first 3 months: </SPAN>Click Here</SPAN>

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Great thread. An oldie but a goodie!

I`ll be honest- I previously never worried about what I fed the cats or dog. They got what they got and that was that. Admittedly, before I had kids, the pets ate more expensive foods. lol. It was a real coming down for them once we had children. But the way I figure it, they`re getting a better and longer life living with me and eating lower quality food than if they were left on their own in the wild. (the dog and cats, that is.)

But...that being said, I`ve recently become aware of how bad some of the pet food is. This discovery comes from suspecting that our cat has feline diabetes and conducting research on it. I discovered that most cat food is extremely high in carbohydrates (darned corn!) and that is baaaaaad for a diabetic cat. So now, cat eats what we eat. Craziness. Never thought I`d be roasting an extra chicken drumstick (minus the shake n bake) for kitty, but you do what you gotta do.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

DaneCrazySCNewbie fourfurryfeet's Avatar
    Trading Score
    90 (100%)

ninna - you are right the fillers that dog foods use is really bad for cats! In the end it's worth it to buy cats a different diet.

My kids wouldn't make it on their own in the wild either HAHAHAHA! I seriously Laughed out loud when I saw that HAHA! I don't have kids though, had to get rid of them...the dogs were allergic HA!

I don't have kids and still choose to feed pedigree because it's the best food out there for MY giant breed dogs, this said by my vet along with with my extensive research and classes on Canine nutrition.

Kitty doesn't get shake n' bake?? Poor Kitty! LOL!

Waist Deep In Four Legged Paradise! Hansel, Gizmo, Otis, Grace and Havoc
    What do you mean you didn't use a coupon??????

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The Elkhound passed last year.

Our new boy (well, shelter dog, so new to us) seems to prefer the new Purina One. We think it's because his picture is on the sack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information