User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I know I'll get some flack for this...but..i just have too...

Who in their right mind would buy dog food that's FIRST ingredient is CORN!?!??!! seriously. That's awful! I won't even buy cat food that has corn in it, even if it's the 10th ingredient!!! Not to mention that "meat and bone meal" is the second ingredient. What's that? mystery meat? riiiiht. and yea, I counted, the first mention of a specified meat product is the 13 ingredient (not including "natural chicken flavour, i assume that's like chicken broth). There's more salt in this product than a "specified" meat product. /rant

Yea, I've done a lot of research on pet food products, the difference between holisitic and super premium (whole foods vs. single nutrients derived from chemical compounds or the whole food).
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

Personally, I don't look at ingredients on dog food.... I know, some people are probably going to hate me, but that's just the way we do it...We've had pets since I can remember, and my current pooch is 12yrs old and has been eating pretty much anything from Science Diet to No Name food, and has always been healthy (except for her old age arthritis).

If some pets' owners want to take the time to read ingredients, calories, and whatever else than that's their choice...my choice is to choose a food that my dog will actually eat and not let sit there for 3 days and get stale (the stuff she gobbles up is usually the less expensive)...so far this has worked in our favor because she's an old lady with the heart of a puppy, and we'll hopefully have her in our family for more years to come!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I asked my vet and he told me Pedigree was a really good brand. So yeah I feed my dog Pedigree Vitality and it's one of the few kinds he really likes. Just took him to the vet a couple months ago and he's in excellent health. Pretty sure both my vet and I are in our "right mind"...

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Not everyone can afford premium pet foods, but that doesn't mean that they should not be able to have a pet.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

My dogs are healthy and I feed them what we can afford to feed them. I also feed our family what we can afford I know some people might only feed their family organic foods thats their choice mine is to make the little money we have go around so if that is pedigree for mine thats the way it rolls here.

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

It's funny, I was just having a discussion about Pedigree the other day. One of my best friends has a Golden Retriever, and the poor pup was having all kinds of allergy problems, skin problems, etc. They tried all kinds of food...premium, organic, etc. and funny enough, the only food that their dog can eat without reacting is Pedigree Vitality.
    Open a Tangerine bank account (formerly ING ) using my Orange Key (14507658S1), deposit $100 and we both get $25! Right now, receive up to $150 in bonuses and earn 2.50% interest!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm an Elkhound and feel qualifed to bark in on this topic.

My humans have tried me on many types of dog food. Hell, I eat my own poop if I'm bored. They tried me on Science Diet and I prefered my poop.

My first human left me. The family picked me up at a rescue shelter (well, actually I picked them but whatever makes them happy). I lived off shelter donations. I was just happy to have kibble in my bowl and a chance at new family.

I eat anything. Yes, I'm partial to salmon, chicken, and steak. The humans sneak me tidbits whenever they think my big brother who is supposed to feed me isn't looking. I only get those big jumbo bone things when the female human gets a coupon for them.

Now, I'm off to pee on the grass and sniff a garbage can.

Edited to add: it's hell typing without thumbs.

Don't forget to use those PEDIGREE coupons and help out a shelter dog!
    Last edited by pippinelkhound; Fri, Jun 25th, 2010 at 11:34 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've used this dog food for over 15 years and has always had good results. I joined almost 2 bags per week and have never had any problems. Vet always say dogs are very healthy excellent coats. I raise boxers and gas have very little problems with food.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I never read ingredients on pet food bags. We buy what we can afford and what our animals seem to enjoy. My last dog lived to be 14 and my current dog who is a Shih Tzu is a healthy and active 12 year old who acts just like a pup and loves loves LOVES her Pedigree Vitality that she eats

If at anytime we were to run into an issue and we needed to change her food we would, but we haven't had to. So I give Pedigree Vitality 2 thumbs up!
    Last edited by TaraF; Wed, Jul 7th, 2010 at 06:06 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I usually switch between purchases... One week a bag of the cheaper less healthy stuff ... the next shopping trip super healthy (with coupons... couldn't afford it otherwise b/c I have 3 large dogs soo... ) I also get cut-offs from butchers...
    In 2010/11 I used over $7700 in coupons!
    My 2012 goal is $6000 in coupons!

:::Alee142010:::

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

We always use the same brand of food. Otherwise diarrhea creeps in. All 3 dogs are on beneful dry & wet foods, they seem to enjoy it. And the fat cat does too. All of them are healthy as horses, so far no hefty vet bill.

I have some of the vitality coupons if anyone wants them
    My Queen passed out from pure bliss thanks to her secret Santa. Bless you kind angel

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

I have my dog on ProPlan it was great when he was a puppy when I got it free but we just slowlt switching and wowzer it is expensive but don't know what else to put him on may have to try the beneful!

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KK7 View Post
    I have my dog on ProPlan it was great when he was a puppy when I got it free but we just slowlt switching and wowzer it is expensive but don't know what else to put him on may have to try the beneful!
    Oh oh....competition for the beneful coupons? Bring it, just teasing
    My Queen passed out from pure bliss thanks to her secret Santa. Bless you kind angel

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blackpup View Post
    Oh oh....competition for the beneful coupons? Bring it, just teasing

ahh no fears there I always share!!!

DaneCrazySCNewbie fourfurryfeet's Avatar
    Trading Score
    90 (100%)

Awsome topic!! I know it's old but I feel like I have something to add hehe! And I also have to say...being a breeder I KNOW dog food is such a sensitive topic for most, and to be perfectly honest you have to feed whatever works for you and your dog and of course your budget!

I just completed a course on canine nutrition and have to say that EVERY single dry kibble food out there has some sort of corn/starch in it because without it they wouldn't be able to keep the form of little kibbles. Does it mean that it should be the first ingredient no of course not. Animal food that is made in Canada (which pedigree is as far as I know) has absolutely no governing body which means there is nothing standardizing dog food ingredients and manufacturing however they do still have to be 100% honest about whats in the food bag including protein and fat levels as well as engrient list which sucks for us (no governing body) but it's life. Also anything left over from say a cow that a human won't consume is considered by-product which means liver, heart, fat, intestine etc and even though those are considered by-products they are VERY good for our dogs and I even buy that YUCKY stuff and dry it out for dog treats. So by product isn't a bad thing when it comes to pet food.

I used to feed Costco brand and it was considered one of the best dog foods out there. I have done a lot of research on dog food and have taken several canine nutrition courses through the Canadian Kennel Club and costco brand was a great dog food however I found that getting it all the time wasn't reliable. Sometimes I wouldn't be able to get it for weeks and would have to put my dogs on some kind of crap (Ol' Roy) since I was told it would be in in a couple days. Anyway, I changed to Pedigree after a lot of research and I won't look back.

I breed and own Danes which means I have different things to worry about next to your average dog owner including protein levels and fat levels but that is a different story all together LOL!

I started to feed pedigree over 3 months ago and my dogs coats are shinyer than on holistic food and they all look great. Also, speaking to my vet, she said that it's a great food considering the levels of protein and fat and considering I have Danes which again is another dog food topic on it's own LOL! She said it's a good food and I trust her with my dogs lives so I am forced to take her opinion to heart.

I have to say, after feeding my dogs holistic for many years and spending 90 bucks a bag, which I did for about 5 years before feeding costco brand (which I do not care about cost when it comes to dog food, especially considering I have a breeding girl in the house) I am very happy with this change. They have nice coats and are healthy dogs. I like Pedigree Healthy Vitality and won't be switching any time soon...the fact that they make coupons is just an added bonus LOL!

To the OP - cats have very different needs when it comes to food so you are absolutely right that start/corn in cat food isn't that great.
    What do you mean you didn't use a coupon??????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information