User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Kids with expensive toys

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Zonny, your parenting style reflects our daughter and her hubby's also...our Grandson's idea of a royal treat is a container of raisins all to himself...He only knows milk and juice, didn't even want more than one bite of his birthday cake (yucky), and when he's had a cookie or whatever at day-care and asks for one at home, they tell him that only day-care has them. I'm sure one day I'll be allowed to bake some of her favourite oatmeal-raisin cookies, lol, but for now (he's only 2), I think they're doing a fantastic job! And so are you!
    As for toys, we're not allowed to buy anything "just because we want to" for our Grandson, with the exception of books. So of course, birthdays and other traditional holidays he gets quite a lot from family members but he's just a wee one and I'm sure that'll come to a screeching halt soon enough if our DD has anything to say about it. And we all do as we're told, lol.

I'm sure he'll also become a "gamer' in the future, but for now all he wants to do is play outside. Which is, I'm thinkin' a very good thing!
    Aww, that's great! I wish my MIL took after you and didn't buy our DS random stuff "just because"...his room is filled with stuff he won't be able to play with (or wear) until he's like 6 because she doesn't think before she buys things...she just gets them because "They're such a great deal!"... She'll buy him 3x clothes (keep in mind he's only 16months), and she'll ask how they fit...Umm, they don't, so we brought them back and exchanged them for diapers...

Trading Score
    177 (100%)

LOL - kids will be kids. The little charmer who declared all of his assets for you was probably just repeating what he was told by his mother while he was begging for something some other child has that he doesn't!!!
    "Far over the misty mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old,
    We must away ere break of day, to seek the pale enchanted gold."

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can understand your point.But the case is kids always learn from observing their peers.Still you must focus on buying creative toys for your kid.At the age of four, you still can convince them easily.How about making your kid more happy by helping him realize the wonderful importance of owning a toy and using it nicely.I hope this insight will help you out.
    I like the design of jet rc.

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

I know what you mean, seems young kids do like to compare what they have with what other kids have. And I remember when I was younger that I envied what other kids at school had (gaming systems etc.) and they envied me because I had my own computer at home (a rarity in my area in the 90's).

My 5 year old son recently was playing games on Lego.com and came across an app for an iPad. Later that week we were in a store and he says "maybe I can get an iPad!". I tried not to laugh at him

I've been thinking about making a chart for him with different things he can do to earn money and then he can use that money to buy things that he wants.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I think that one of the things that we don't often hear too much of in the conversation is about kids showing off their stuff. My sis and I had few luxuries or expensive toys, but the ones we had were not allowed to go to school with us. We were also reprimanded if we were caught bragging about things we had; my parents were both raised poor and were quick to bring us back down to earth when we got feeling high and mighty because we got a cool toy or something really in demand. I remember getting a Popple one year for Christmas and desperately wanting to bring it to school to show off - Mom pointed out how easily it could get wrecked taking it to school in January (the long-term possibilities for snow, dirt and fun fur combining are less than stellar) and by the time I would've been allowed, the desire to do so had worn off.

Sure, kids are still going to want stuff that other kids have - including things like clothes and shoes, but I think that teaching kids not to be too show-offish with their stuff is also a good idea, especially when there's an income disparity in the area where they are and it becomes too obvious who the haves and have-nots are...
    Natalka, lecale and Tresmom like this.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I have this same problem but sometimes my hubby is a contributing factor in getting these toys. I explain to my 4.5 yr old the importance of saving up for something that is expensive and ask him if he wants to do it. By the time I'm done explaining he has forgotten about it With the hubby the thing that works is telling him when they are 18 - they won't remember the toy they bought but will remember the $$ they have in their RESP

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 03:08 PM.
    mdutka and glowworm2k like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I did have a pony and spent more time shoveling puckey than riding.

you had a pony??? LUCKY!! lol. I'm glad my playstation doesnt poop, i clean up enough of that as it is!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 08:16 PM.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Apparently this 5 year old girl in my sons class has an ipod touch. My son asked if he can have one and a simple no fixed the problem lol! I dont even have a ipod.
    nicolthepickle likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Apparently this 5 year old girl in my sons class has an ipod touch. My son asked if he can have one and a simple no fixed the problem lol! I dont even have a ipod.

Ummm.... (sheepishly admits) Does it count if my three yrs old son has managed to "steal" mine, and thinks it is his?
    Technically it is mine, it was a Christmas gift three years ago. But, it has his sleepy time music so it is used for nap time and bedtime, everyday. It has his kid's music, and most of his videos (which is important because we don't have TV.) It lives in it's dock (yes he has one of those too) most of the day- but goes with us on car trips, doctor's appointments, etc. I did use it when I was commuting 3 hrs everyday- but he was just a year old and too young to remember. Gradually, his stuff has taken it over.

They are handy things....

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

my daughter had a ds at three... shes nearly 8 and is on her third one, shes had a playstation for years now, and her own dvd player and wii, this year i gave her an ipod. i dont see anything wrong with allowing children to partake in the technology that surrounds them
    Last edited by krysta lynne; Tue, May 22nd, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Trading Score
    57 (98%)

my 4 year old has an ipod. My parents bought it for him. We kind of got tired of him always taking our iphones in restaurants or on long car rides... Now with that being said, he can't just take it around all the time, anytime. There's limits on it, and it does get taken away with saucey attitude.
    Can't say enough good things about Swagbucks & iRazoo ...Click the link to join too

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

my 5 year old just started playing with hubbys ancient DS, but he knows its daddys. we let both the 5 year old and 3 year old play games on our phones if we are stuck waiting forever somewhere. in general though i dont try to avoid them being bored because when they are bored they come up with very imaginative stuff to keep themselves entertained. when i was little my parents were quite poor, we never had cable (did that exist in the 80s??) and i rarely ever got to rent movies, my dad controled the tv so if it wasnt golf related or Cheers we didnt watch it. my parents got their first computer when i was 19!! my bros bought a sega when i was a teen so that was cool. i pretty much spent my time alone in my room playing barbie and reading (nerd!). hubby on the other hand had all the latest and greatest.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

When they're old enough. Let's say 5 for an example, let them earn and save their own money for things. Not an allowance, but extra money for extra chores. You're teaching them a wise lesson. + if they save for 6 months for something they're probably not going to want it anymore.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information