User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Kids with expensive toys

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

There's nothing wrong with giving your children good gifts. They just need to be thankful for them and not whine about/for them.
    krysta lynne likes this.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by itsjustmebub View Post
    we've recently taken away the ipod touch from littleman (3) until he starts going on the potty

he's asked for it, but he's going to need to earn it back haha
    ....but maybe there's an app for that lol
    matty's mom likes this.
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think my beef is not so much about how expensive a toy is and whether or not they are old enough for it but that will they appreciate it and do they appreciate the things they have already. My daughter learned a good lesson about that a few months ago - She had to do a speech about a person, could be famous, family, who ever. Anyways I suggested her great grandmother (91). I helped her come up with questions to ask her, one of which was "what was it like when you were 12?" Well the answer really made her think (and later her classmates too). When my Nana (her great grandmother) was 12 it was during the depression and she used to make up her own toys and games. She told my daughter how happy she was when she found a small pencil and paper scraps to draw on. She told her how she would save comic strips from local newspapers and stick them together to make a book. She also shared with her outdoor games which my daughter then taught her friends. Talking to my nana about her life really put things into perspective for my daughter. She saw how lucky she is (even when she doesn't get the latest gadget). On the day my daughter said her speech was the day my Nana passed away. It ended up being a nice tribute to her.
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Interesting thread. My 'kids' are now grown but the short version of what I told, and continue to tell, l them is "there will always be people in this world who have more than you....and people who have less". There were kids who were wowed by what we had AND kids who thought my kids were hard done by. We always made sure our children could participate in sports activities, music and art, and like all parents we heard from time to time that other kids' lives were better or easier. While my kids are putting themselves through university, some of their friends are going completely on their parents' dime and not even coming up with their own spending money. (In fact, some of their peers aren't even looking for a summer job.) My kids are certainly not perfect, but I am proud of their independence and work ethic. Part of becoming a mature person is to understand that gratitude for what we have been given is a key ingredient to happiness. Some kids never get there....and some adults don't either!

(And Zonny....despite what I just said, there were days when I heard the exact same thing you described and I needed to vent, too!)
    gracesmommy and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

i think society has changed to where alot of parents are buying off their toddlers...it is sad but this is my opinion.i think it's pathetic.i saw a post on the local buy and sell.a lady was asking for any info about her 4 year olds lost iphone!!!!! im not kidding.my son is 5 and has a leapster.that is the most expensive thing we have bought him.i think kids are kids and will lose or drop something.if my kid drops his leapster or loses it we are out $60 bucks.big deal... $600 for an iphone.i wouldnt buy a 14 year old an iphone let alone a 4 year old.

i see kids playing in dirt at my kids soccer game..being kids right..nope mommy gets all mad and scold them,"don't play there,you're wearing your new uggs" uggs? on a 3 year old? let them be kids.kids shouldnt know brands.i didnt have brand name anything until just recently i bought myself a chanel purse in calgary.

i just get sad when i see these little toddlers wearing designer clothing and they get ketchup on it at mcdonalds or whatever and their mom gets all mad,or they are sitting with their ipods while their mom or dad sits on their iphone texting.there is no communication anymore..sorry if i offend anyone but that is what i see in my town.we are a big oilfield town and alot of money flying around.trust me,you give your kid everything they will expect everything and never want to earn it.

~just your average nerd~

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information