User Tag List

Happy shopper
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

My son just completed a math class for a requirement for entering college and wow what a place! NOT recommended at all! It is at the RedHill Adult learning centre off the Red Hill expressway half way down the Hamilton Mt. He was in a class where there were 4 different classes in one classroom and hardly had any lessons so it was more on your own studying. He never got any marks back from his tests before his exam --,mmmm so how is a student supposed to know how they are doing and if he/she needs to work on a certain area! Then he had to go to class to find out his mark-- and was told to go back today to pick up a transcript to take to the college. When he gets there the office/or building is closed!!! Yes, he thankfully passed and had a high mark and lucky for him.... The office told him this a.m to come before 3 p.m. !!! Double MMMM. He is trying to get into the college and they are waiting for his final mark. I hope he gets accepted. I do not swear but boy am I MAD! I called this school this afternoon and all I get are answering machines!!!!!

What a place. I would never recommend this place to anyone needing to upgrade their highschool or if you have to take a certain class to get into a program in the nearby college. Anybody have such experiences?
    This thread is currently associated with: Mark's
    Last edited by couponmom; Wed, Jun 30th, 2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: edit [post

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Sorry to read about the difficulties with the learning centre. Red Hill is the only place I know outside of college or the ILS program via mail in Toronto that allows adults to pick up courses for credit towards post-secondary requirements. I understand that the learning centre may also rent out calculators for math courses, which means potential students need to have funds for the book, course and any other supplies.

It would be good business for any messages to include the day's closing time, but the caller would have to want to value student time. That is not always the case. With summertime, some offices may close earlier than they would during the Sept-June academic year.

Given the heat in Hamilton, the summer schedules of several bus routes and the value of one's time, it is good to phone ahead before heading out. Do your own research and save your time. Your son will discover that college office hours will be 8:30-4:30 for the most part or shorter if accessed during the May-August college spring semester. He'll be trying to get things done on spares or in-between classes, unless he is willing to forego class time to resolve matters in office time.

He can consider this experience as part of independant study and time management, as there are similar tales to be had in other public and private sectors.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Sep 18th, 2010 at 09:16 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I too am sorry to hear about the problems with the Red Hill learning centre. I didn't go to High School in Hamilton, however I have heard of St- Charles? They can help with math.

I am currently a student at Mohawk College, and you'll be happy to hear that there is a free Math Learning Centre available to all students at the college.

The frustrations you feel now, with Red Hill, will be tenfold when it comes time to deal with the registration office at the college. Even more if you plan on dealing with OSAP. Book store too is a great deal of fun.

...I wish there were coupons for textbooks

If your son is planning on taking a Business course, (Accounting, Marketing, Insurance, General Business, Business Administraion) I may have some text books I could sell - new last year, though used.. (though sometimes being money grabbers, they change the edition and render used texts useless)

Best of luck!

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

is that the Cce Red Hill Learning Centre‎? on Albright road? I took a night class for Law grade 12 there cause it wouldn't fit into my schedule during school time 2+ years ago.
    Yup there are no lessons or teachers, basically kids sitting in random rooms throughout the building doing whatever we want. I only really remember 2 teachers ever being around for perhaps 100+ students. Everyone got 90s though, most of the students loved the no teacher no learning atmosphere

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Mohawk College's student union used book sale quickly becomes part of one's new semester start when you discover sticker shock for a new textbook. Always confirm you need a book and see if the last term's book is the same edition--then snag one still held together in its binding at the book sale. Wish I did that first year but in second year, I liked to help others get a break on books and I looked for texts for the one semester only courses. For multi-term texts, it was sort of worthwhile to buy them new.

Though I heard from someone two years ago that some business course texts come with a CD for exercises and in the price range of $150. That person split textbook costs with a classmate to save on money.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information