User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Trading Score
    361 (100%)

My son is going away to college in Sept, and is looking at different laptops. He is looking to spend between $700-$900. He doesn't need one to play games, it will only be used for email, word processing, etc. Does anyone have any ideas. He was considering a Dell Studio 15(1558) or a HP Pavilion G62-134. He was told to stay away from Dell for their bad service and parts. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good brand name. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

He was thinking of these basic specs:
    i3 350 intel processor
    4gb ram
    15.6" screen
    This thread is currently associated with: Dell
    Join me on swagbucks, and get an envelope worth $50 when you earn your first 100 swagbucks.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/anner2050

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I still stand behind my toshiba I got from future shop. Its got everything. $399 on sale, and never had a problem with it. I was leary about buying it because it was cheap but figured I new enough about puters if it was going to give me trouble atleast they werent going to soak me for more money.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

We have a Lenovo which are apparently part of IBM (per my geeky DH). My in laws have the same one and the thing is a work horse. I love it. I think we paid about $800 for it. It came with Windows 7 on it too.

Ours gets used probably 16 hours a day 7 days a week and I love it.

I'd stay far far away from anything Acer. I've had a Dell in the past and while it was ok, I much prefer the one we have now.

Here is a link

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=031745

btw Canada Computers is a great place to get stuff. We get everything from there.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I have an Acer and absolutely love it, its the BEST computer I've ever owned. My husbands work is European and only uses acer. People think its a lesser brand since its from across the pond but they are great computers!

Lenovo (ibm) are a great brand too but stay away from dell, their customer service is really hard to understand and they are just not that great of computers, my laptop from dell lasted maybe a year.

Youd be best off to wait until August to buy one because their will be tons of back to school sales

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

oh and this one I got last year has
    2ddr 4gig ram
    500gb memory
    nvidia graphics
    t8000
    hdmi
    18.6' screen
    5.1 surround sound
    intel
    windows 7

and tons of other stuff and it cost me under 1000 with tax

Trading Score
    164 (100%)

I agree wholeheartedly about staying away from Dell! That was my first ever laptop and that experience was full of nightmares. I am on my second one now and it's a Toshiba and I really like it! For work, I have an HP laptop and the problem with HP is they put all kinds of their add-ons and software which weighs down your memory space et al. So I agree with miztia, toshiba is a good choice!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

toshiba all the way, DH and I each have one and they've held up well

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyah View Post
    toshiba all the way, DH and I each have one and they've held up well
    I agree with Eeyah! Toshiba all the way.

DH is a total clutz and once bumped his Toshiba--sending it from the board table onto a concrete floor in a meeting. There was a frozen silence from the room as he picked it up...someone else spotted the label and said, "Oh. It'll be FINE. It's a Toshiba!"

and it WAS pefectly fine. Not a scratch on it. Nothing.

I have an Acer. Can't stand it. (Sorry Sally, I see that you like them). I think mine was a cheapo Acer (don't know for sure cuz I got it free) but the battery is fried and can no longer be even inside the computer because if the battery is in, it makes the computer go funky on me and freeze up. So I've got a laptop with no battery-- Kinda defeats the purpose imo. LOL. And the cord where it plugs in the back for electricity had to be stripped and re-soldered by DH on numerous occasions.

IBM is also good but I think they're a little more pricey in the store. I had an IBM Thinkpad (not sure they make them anymore) and that thing was a soldier! Most reliable laptop I ever, ever had. I finally had to let it go because it was 10 years old and too slow by today's standards to process the new software and stuff. I miss it though. Would buy another one of those in a heartbeat!
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Oh no trash Acer as you please lol! I just think their amazing and Its the best computer I've ever owned and thats about 5 or 6 different brands.

Sexy Canadian Genius Miss_April's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I have a sony laptop and it's fabulous!! I have bashed this baby around and it still works great and looks great.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I have only purchased Toshiba laptops. I have had a problem with the first one, but that was the hard drive only. Replaced it and it worked fine until the replacement hard drive konked out. (IBM hard drive). I still have it and it works fine and it's 7 or 8 years old. The other two I have had 0 problems and love them. I have had an IBM Thinkpad at work and now have a Lenovo Thinkpad. (IBM spin off BTW still controlled by them). They work OK, but they are ugly, At least the Toshibas I have look pretty.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Another Toshiba fan, I got mine on sale for under $600 last year (I didn't need one so waited until I seen a great price) and I love it

I have a Dell at work and it sucks, like my first (and only) Dell for personal use did - it fried the first time I turned it on because they had set up the power on it wrong, the replacement's harddrive didn't work and the replacement they gave me, which was supposed to be an upgrade was slow and fried just after the warranty ran out
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DH666 View Post
    I have only purchased Toshiba laptops. I have had a problem with the first one, but that was the hard drive only. Replaced it and it worked fine until the replacement hard drive konked out. (IBM hard drive). I still have it and it works fine and it's 7 or 8 years old. The other two I have had 0 problems and love them. I have had an IBM Thinkpad at work and now have a Lenovo Thinkpad. (IBM spin off BTW still controlled by them). They work OK, but they are ugly, At least the Toshibas I have look pretty.
    haha. Yeah, IBM never had the sexy look going on, this is true. DD has an IBM and it looks almost identical to my 10 year old beater Thinkpad. I don't think they ever changed the look of them in all the years they've produced them.

The benefit to the IBM's for us was the way the power cord connected to the back of them with those 4 pronged pluggie things (versus the one pin pluggie one most laptops have). It doesn't matter what brand of laptop we've had since, we're always running into issues with that 1-pin pluggie at the back and the power adapter wires snapping, melting etc. right at the place where it plugs in.

Aww, Sally, I wasn't bashing Acer! I just don't like mine because it's got issues...but that doesn't mean they're all bad. Mine's probably just a lemon. LOL. Maybe it got made on a Friday night shift at the factory when everyone just wanted to get home for the weekend. hahaha.

Intersting though--haven't heard from any mac users yet. That ought to heat the old debate up! LOL. CBC did an interesting funny-news bit on Mac versus PC and whether your computer preferences are important in selecting your future mate. It was kinda funny...
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Oh no trash Acer as you please lol! I just think their amazing and Its the best computer I've ever owned and thats about 5 or 6 different brands.
    When it comes to ACER you get what you pay for! Anything low end isn't worth it, anything high end is.

My pick is Samsung, they just started selling them in NA, but I bought mine over 4 years ago on a trip to S. Korea...I LOVED IT! My power adaptor kicked the bucket and I decided against ordering one from waaaay across the pond, although I could get expensive ones from Britain (they've sold Samsung brand laptops for years).

But make sure your son turns it off when not in use, keeping it on all the time to "play music" will ruin it (more or less what's happened to my friends, I think it helps in burning the battery...). Make sure he has a proper bag for a laptop, with the sleeve and everything, a knapsack is probably better since it keeps it in place better. And when he's at school studying with it, for the love of god, to bring it to the washroom when he pees. I had to hear enough whiners from when people got their laptops stolen from Carleton to figure that it may be awkward, but not 1000$ awkward....
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by anner2050 View Post
    He was told to stay away from Dell for their bad service and parts.
    I've never had a problem with Dell, and in fact find their service to be great.

They have a great buy now pay months later service, and offer the option to have a dell technician come to you if anything is wrong with your computer, instead of taking to the shops.

They also have a live online service that will guide you if you fancy attempting to fix anything yourself.

I would suggest sticking to Dell. You can't go wrong with them from my experience.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information