User Tag List

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

this morning, i had an arguement with the man who gives the courses....in my understanding, i can pass the exams without following the courses for both regular fire arms and restricted fire arms....but he kept saying that according the new rules, i must take the courses for the regular fire arms if i want to pass the exams.....do i deal with some kina macho ?...Firearms Safety Training The Firearms Act requires that individuals wishing to acquire non-restricted firearms must take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) and pass the tests, or challenge and pass the CFSC tests without taking the course.As per Section 7 of the Firearms Act, individuals under 18 must complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and pass the test in order to obtain a licence. They are not eligible to challenge and attempt to pass the test without taking the course. Individuals over 18 years of age who wish to acquire restricted firearms must also take the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC) and pass the tests, or challenge and pass the CRFSC tests without taking the course.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

oh ! boy ..sorry i can't make the text easier....see why i use .....to separate the sentences...hope someone have the patience to read it , thank'S

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

It looks like you have to "challenge" - I'm not sure what that means but perhaps it's an official paper or application that has to be filled in.

That's what I read from this quote.

I, personally, would not want to acquire any kinds of arms so this is the first knowledge I have of any of it. Perhaps if you call a police station - they might know.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Hi Mia,

Based on my reading of the legislation, it looks like you can no longer simply challenge the exams.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/F-11.6/index.html

Successful completion of safety course [emphases mine]
    7. (1) An individual is eligible to hold a licence only if the individual

(a) successfully completes the Canadian Firearms Safety Course, as given by an instructor who is designated by a chief firearms officer, and passes the tests, as administered by an instructor who is designated by a chief firearms officer, that form part of that Course;

.....(stuff about minors / having done courses prior to 1995).

I did my PAL way back in the day, and was able to just challenge the exams for both non-restricted and restricted, but I guess they've changed it since then.

Be advised, though, that unless you actually intend to use firearms, all the piece of plastic will get you is raised eyebrows when you present it as ID. They are not at all common, at least in major cities (maybe more so further north or in rural areas where hunting is more common).

I don't drive, and didn't want to carry my passport with me everywhere as ID, so, after 9/11, I got my PAL to serve as federally-issued ID before the law requiring passports to fly came into effect.

Not only does it not have your address on it (although that makes sense, I suppose, for people who do have firearms...no sense in advertising), but so few people have seen them (at least in the GTA) that I've been challenged on it a bunch of times.

That kind of made me laugh - if I'm showing you a Possession and Acquisition License for guns, maybe you should ask yourself if reading me the riot act is in your best interests!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I think Screamy is right. You USED to be able to just challenge the tests but I think that has changed. DH is looking into right now, since he let his licence expire and now wants it again for hunting.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Ummm... Mia, why do you want to possess firearms?

Trading Score
    202 (100%)

Hey Mia, not sure about all the rules, and each province I think may be different. I am gonna ask the hubby and a couple other folks around about your question.

By the way, I am so happy to see you posting, you have most surely been missed.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by screamy View Post
    I don't drive, and didn't want to carry my passport with me everywhere as ID, so, after 9/11, I got my PAL to serve as federally-issued ID before the law requiring passports to fly came into effect.

Not only does it not have your address on it (although that makes sense, I suppose, for people who do have firearms...no sense in advertising), but so few people have seen them (at least in the GTA) that I've been challenged on it a bunch of times.

That kind of made me laugh - if I'm showing you a Possession and Acquisition License for guns, maybe you should ask yourself if reading me the riot act is in your best interests!
    Could you not get an age of majority card?
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

thank's everyone, i have to take the course then
    Last edited by Mia001; Mon, Aug 30th, 2010 at 10:09 PM.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    Ummm... Mia, why do you want to possess firearms?
    well,..... i need to

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    Could you not get an age of majority card?
    Belated response, but no, they didn't offer them in Ontario at the time (not sure if they do now or not).

But I work with the police, so having one isn't as "over the top" for me as it might be for some. It did still bother my sister though.

As I told her, having the piece of plastic doesn't mean you have to go out and buy any firearms...it means you've passed tests and a criminal background check, and have....a piece of plastic.

Besides...I've never seen coupons for Glocks!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Take the Firearms course....it is 4 hours you get an FAC Card for rifles...handguns for private citizens except for shooting competitions are illegal in Canada..

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    handguns for private citizens except for shooting competitions are illegal in Canada..
    Um, no.

As long as you have the appropriate license (in this case, a Restricted Possession and Acquisition License), and purchase and register them correctly, they are perfectly legal.

Whether or not having them is a good idea is another matter entirely.

Maybe you mean the prohibited category of firearms?

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    Take the Firearms course....it is 4 hours you get an FAC Card for rifles...handguns for private citizens except for shooting competitions are illegal in Canada..
    here it's now 2 full days (8am to 5pm)....i start to read the book....and ..oH boy ! do i need to know how the fire arms we find only in museuns work ?

Thread Information