User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Trading Score
    177 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    halal means it is acceptable under islamic law...haram is the opposite and means forbidden under islamic law

pork is the only thing that I can think of that is haram

There is also something in the law that says if they have no choice they can eat non halal foods though...

and fyi I find something fishy about that list...I would say no to mailing milk idk how long it would last going that distance even if it was on ice...also no to potato chips/chocolate no nutritional value plus chocolate melts...
    Yes, however haram is not only pork but anything that contains animal by-products. Although we (Muslims) do eat meat, we only eat Halal meat (meaning meat it is slaughtered according to the principles of Islam). Therefore, any animal ingredients in commercial food products do not necessarily come from Halal meat, therefore those items are avoided. Some haram products include Skittles (gelatin), chips flavoured with cheddar cheese (rennet), Marshmallows (gelatin), etc. And please note, yes even things like soap and shampoo are avoided if they contain animal by-products. E.g. certain kinds of Colgate toothpaste

You can check which of the ingredients are halal or haram by doing a quick search here:
    http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/I...ingredientlist

On this site, you can also search for 'food products' and 'non-food products' that are halal.

On a summary, the most common ingredients that are considered haram are Gelatin, Lard, Rennet, Alcohol.
    Redeem $5 Amazon gift cards every week! Just SEARCH & WIN!
    Join Swagbucks:
    www.swagbucks.com/refer/julyprincess

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by julyprincess View Post
    Yes, however haram is not only pork but anything that contains animal by-products. Although we (Muslims) do eat meat, we only eat Halal meat (meaning meat it is slaughtered according to the principles of Islam). Therefore, any animal ingredients in commercial food products do not necessarily come from Halal meat, therefore those items are avoided. Some haram products include Skittles (gelatin), chips flavoured with cheddar cheese (rennet), Marshmallows (gelatin), etc. And please note, yes even things like soap and shampoo are avoided if they contain animal by-products. E.g. certain kinds of Colgate toothpaste

You can check which of the ingredients are halal or haram by doing a quick search here:
    http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/I...ingredientlist

On this site, you can also search for 'food products' and 'non-food products' that are halal.

On a summary, the most common ingredients that are considered haram are Gelatin, Lard, Rennet, Alcohol.
    Thanks! I knew there were more on the list but couldn't remember any of them. I know there was a thing awhile ago about gum that didnt disclose it had gelatin in it.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

good cause

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbs View Post
    Sarem,

you might want to post:

1) addresses for the PIA offices (ie. which cities/provinces)
    2) define ORS ??
    3) define 'feeder for kids' (bottles? baby food?)
    4) define 'products should be halal' (not in everyone's vocab.)

curious:

why chocolate? (it'll melt in transit)
    why potato chips? (not known for their nutrients)

why no request for protein-dense foods, bandages, first aid kits, etc?

I'll gladly donate - but can't without the address
    You might want to look in to the list baggypants has provide.You can drop your boxes there.
    I know a week back an organization in Toronto was able to make 400 boxes of such kind.1 box can feed an average family for two days.The most preferable items to include in the box are salt and or sweet biscuits, chocolate for kids as it gives instant energy and brings smile on their faces,tetra pak milk ORS and lets not forget the sanitary napkins.
    I am getting gift card just for searching on swagbucks $235 till now
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/humair
    The best survey site everhave recived $50 cheque from them.http://OpinionOutpost.com/join/8174463
    send me pm so that I could send tips to earn fast and free money!!

Trading Score
    437 (100%)

I will also let my friends and family know about this organization so they can prepare boxes too!

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

I found a video about the relief boxes on the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) website. It shows the box & exactly what to put in & how to pack it.

http://www.piac.com.pk/Flood_Relief/...e-Alam-Eng.htm

denise

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i will do it
    you gave very good information

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thanks
    you did the great work for poor people
    GOD make our heart helpful for others

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Don't forget that the govt are matching monetary donations so if you are buying a lot of the stuff needed for the boxes, your donation may go further if given directly as cash to the relief funds (who have massive buying power)
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

We donated through the Red Cross, specifically because the Federal Government is matching the donations. *Remember it must be a registered charity to be eligible for the matching donations.
    Though I would also send goods, we're stuck here in the middle of the prairies, and the local Pakistan cultural organization is just wanting funds.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I dont live anywhere near a place thats accepting goods but ever since that Haiti fiasco where they werent getting the funds to the people I feel uneasy.

I tend to donate more towards home and helping out our communitiy.

If I lived closer to the city Id bring in a care box

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    I dont live anywhere near a place thats accepting goods but ever since that Haiti fiasco where they werent getting the funds to the people I feel uneasy.

I tend to donate more towards home and helping out our communitiy.

If I lived closer to the city Id bring in a care box
    I'm with you on this. Sadly Haiti has received little, if any, of the Red Cross money or the govs. money.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Unfortunately care boxes rarely get to the people who need them the most either, they can't get them into the most remote parts and often their trucks get looted before they try - either way the people who need help most dont get it

But I am with Sally, I help at home before I help those outside my own country
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Im glad you guys didnt take my post to be mean, because it wasn't meant to be. I'd rather be honest though

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Im glad you guys didnt take my post to be mean, because it wasn't meant to be. I'd rather be honest though

On the contrary, if we want to be a solid strong country who can help others when the time comes we must first help ourselves by being in a strong stable position. The strong should take care of the weak just as the rich should take care of the poor. I mean rich in resources, food, water, manpower, technology.

I hope that this time the money does go to Pakistan and not sit there like it is with Haiti.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information