User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Northern Provincial... did you receive your free Meat sample??

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Okay....so I fell for the scam of "did you receive your free meat sample yet today?" phonecall...and the next day(today)...somehow I caved and had 2 salesman visit....they assured me it would be a 10 minute visit....an hour later!!!!! I had to tell them I had to think about it...(in my mind I was already saying no....) My husband handled the first part, and me (being the tough one) stepped in for the last half. So basically they are offering a 6 month contract to supply all of my meat, dry goods, and the freezer to put it in. I am 99.9 percent sure I'm gonna say a big fat NO when they follow up....(they were very dissapointed that they didn't have an answer before they left- very pushy sales tactics) at least they tried to be pushy, but they were messin with the wrong girl!!! lol

Just curious if anyone else has had any experiences with this company?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by melodiemar; Thu, Sep 2nd, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
    JasonMitchel likes this.

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

Wow, I had them set up and ready to come Monday evening, but when they did a follow up call to see if I was home, DH told them I was ill.
    Thank goodness he did! I had a hinky feeling about the whole thing, but thought, "why not?".

Thanks for sharing, as I was actually going to call them and ask them to come by again.

Were their prices good? Or was it in fact a scam?
    I heard free freezer, and was like "OK!" lol
    There's always a catch though.
    Always looking for Kellogg's FPC & Playtex Vouchers

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Okay...so I went high and ball parked my weekly groceries at $250....their price came in at $186.00 weekly but I would still have to go out to buy all of my produce, breads and dairy, which in this home is alot because I have a home daycare of 5 toddlers, as well as our family of 5. Plus get rid of the small deep freezer I have and somehow find space for their bigger one...if you don't renew after 6 months...they take the freezer back, if you commit to a second year you get to keep the freezer. I just don't know where I would stash 6 months of everything!!! Coffee, tp paper towels...and I just know that I can get it all cheaper especially being a 'smartcanucker'. Oh and the free sample of meet?? 1/2 lb of ground beef.....lol

oh and as a side note, they've called my house 4 times tonight for an answer, but I haven't been bothered to p/u the phone yet....sheesh
    Last edited by melodiemar; Thu, Sep 2nd, 2010 at 07:59 PM.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

very interesting post from tpa

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

The above 'letter' from the company is posted in other forums on the net.....

Just say no.
    There's always a catch, they need to make lots of money somehow! You will have to sign a contract, they make some of the prices look so good, but they are loss-leaders - they'll put together higher and lower prices items to make it sound good; there will be delivery fees, etc.
    Buyer beware, people!

Find a local butchers' or just use the flyers from your local grocery stores to look for the best deals.
    jaydenmoorie likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've never understood the appeal of these companies.

I enjoy shopping. yup, I'm sad.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think this would be helpful for a senior or someone who has trouble getting out and going shopping. It definitely wouldn't be a great deal for a really smart shopper. The high pressure sales tactics and the little notes they are leaving on blogs aren't attractive either.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm curious... of all the people who are advising not to try this service, have any of you actually tried it? (I know some had the presentation but have any actually went through with the order?

I tried this type of grocery order with another company (who didn't give you a free sample) a few years ago. Unfortunately for the life of me I can't remember their name (if I think of it I'll let you know), overall I'd rate the experience a 6.5 out of 10.

When Northern Provincial contacted me last week I decided to give it another try. So far I'm pretty happy with the results.

The sales person was not pushy at all, he did speak a little quickly in order to cover the plethora of information but was always willing to stop and answer questions. They were able to get me brands other than what was listed on their sheet and all the meat looks wonderful. I'll be trying the beef tonight! Also they are very flexible about delivery (which is free) and you don't have to take their freezer. I have a smaller freezer so they filled it and will come back with a second delivery when I'm ready and will even do a 3rd or 4th if need be.

I suppose the real test will be 6 months from now when I check my grocery spending against what I spent in the last 6 months. I'll try to remember to come back and update you.
    Last edited by TimeUnEnding; Thu, Aug 11th, 2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: had left an unfinished sentence at the end of post

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

can't help but think TimeUnEnding works for the company in question... interesting timing on joining SC, and only one post? hmmm....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

wow does that mean busted or what!!lol

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

DON'T DO IT! I am not sure if this is the same company but it sounds like the same idea.

My friend got conned into a scam like this and she wound up spending a TON of money on groceries. They told her that aside from fresh food they would provide her with all of her needs for 6 months. I don't know what they eat in a 6 month period but what family of four uses only 6 cans of juice in 6 months. They also gave her one jar of peanut butter one jar of jam etc. Basically the cost of the food was well over the cost of the grocery store. I had them come to my house so that I could see what they were doing and at the end of the sales call the guy admitted that yeah it was way more costly but that I would save time. Are you kidding me?

My advice stay away from these types of companies!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by emmy3111 View Post
    can't help but think TimeUnEnding works for the company in question... interesting timing on joining SC, and only one post? hmmm....

Ummm... no I actually don't work for the company at all. I was just checking to see if it was a scam or not (like everyone else here). I read through the posts and no one seemed to have actually ordered ... hence my question.

And since I decided to go through with the order, when no one else seemed to, I offered to provide an update once I had a better idea of how it was going.

I suppose my comments will only be helpful if it turns out awful for me, since apparently if I say anything remotely positive, I must work for the company. Seems a little silly to have a forum where only negative comments are welcome.

Oh and OF COURSE I only had one post. I'm NEW. I joined because I wanted to ask a question.... way to make people feel welcome!

Also, if you scroll up you'll see the company obviously doesn't bother to hide themselves when they do shameless self promotion so why would they need me?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

DO NOT FALL FOR THIS! I had the misfortune of ordering from them...they go on and on about how you should support local farmers who raise their meats naturally and then when you order, the chicken breast is full of preservatives as is the turkey too. I'm VERY disappointed that we are stuck paying for this and would even contemplate a cancellation fee to get out of it. The cost for just the two of us is awful when you consider that we still need to purchase fresh produce, dairy, and bread which honestly is usually 80% of my grocery bill.

Honestly, don't fall for this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They are a complete rip off. We were promised almost 4 times the meat that was given to us. What the salesman told us we would receive in lbs. we got in "pieces". We ended up with 132 lbs of chicken instead of 480 lbs. The VP dave steele told me on the phone I never should have expected that much chicken as it would cost nearly $6000 alone. That works out to $12-$13 per lb. for boneless skinless chicken - not too good for a company promising to save customers $ through bulk orders. After over an hour on the phone dave told me that I should contact consumer rights or take them to court if I felt ripped off.
    Dave would not provide me with a bill of any kind showing weights and prices, but claims we were shown this. I also requested a current price list of their products and that too was denied. If this doesn't sound the alarm for any potential customers out there I don't know what will.
    Any questions about my experience with Northern Provincial and you may contact me at the address below.

Mike
    [email protected]

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

DO NOT BUY FROM NORTHERN PROVINCIAL!!!!!
    We have just had our first dealings with this company - DO NOT USE THEM!!!! IT IS A HUGE SCAM!!!! - We were quoted $120.00 a week for all of our stuff. - And it wasn't a ton of stuff either! - I priced everything at local grocery stores and doing the math, with regular prices - not even on sale - the bill from Northern Provincial was $4000.00 more!!! $4000.00!!! That is insane! - But how many people actually figure it out. I called right away and knew that I had 10 days to cancel the agreement, no one answered, they had to talk to their manager, the sales guy is no where to be found, so on day 9, we just said - that's it, we know we have 10 days to cancel - requiring no reason at all - the girl said OK - like this happens everyday and it was no surprise to her. She said we will come and pick up the freezer and products and they will give you a bill for 10% of the bill for a restocking fee. So we got are getting a bill for $692.29 for the product that we are cancelling. Nice eh, what a super company....they didn't even argue that there was a mistake or try to figure out how it is at all possible that there stuff was priced $4000.00 more than it should be - and their phone number is 1-866-365-SAVE. Seriously....we have lodged a complaint with the better business bureau and I will find out why and how they have an A+ rating with them, because that is impossible!!! So - seriously, DO NOT EVEN LET THEM IN!!!! HUGE SCAM!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information