User Tag List

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

I purchased this dishwasher new from Sears in November '07. Recently the machine started to make noise when washing and rinsing the dishes. Keep in mind that I have had Kenmore appliances in my home for 20+ years and have had very little problems. We have an open concept home and I bought this particular machine because it is supposed to be quiet when it is running. So my DH did some research and found that these machines are notorious for losing the bearings in the motor!!! So a new motor was purchased ($153.00 + taxes) and installed by my DH. ( Yes, I am very lucky that he can do these things) So now this week's project is to draft a letter to a few people at Sears.. be careful everyone!
    This thread is currently associated with: Sears

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I officially stopped purchasing appliances from Sears last year.

I wanted to buy a fridge and stove for my mom's new apartment that didn't include those items. So before ordering them online, I called to ensure they delivered to her area. The rep took her address, looked it up, and assured me that they did deliver there.

So I ordered a fridge and a stove online. The day they were supposed to be delivered, they hadn't called with a delivery time, so I called them. Turns out that the items were still in Toronto, not anywhere near Nova Scotia. And besides that, they didn't know exactly where they were, they were lost in their warehouse somewhere.

Not only were they not going to be delivered on their promised delivery date, they weren't coming at all because Sears DID NOT DELIVER TO HER DELIVERY AREA. Their explaination why? The call centre is in the Phillipines and they don't know enough about Canadian geography to know where they deliver to. Apparently not knowing anything about where they delivered to did not stop them from answering questions about their delivery area.

In the end they did discount the items by about $150 I think it was, and delivered the items to a catalogue centre about 20 minutes away. We paid $60 to have it delivered from there; to make up for this foolishness, I was supposed to get reimbursed for that if I sent the receipt. The receipt never arrived.

A friend just recently (in August) had an experience with a fancy electronic dryer from Sears, only a few months old. It died, Sears was going to send out a technician on a certain day. Friend took the day off work to wait for them, they didn't show. A day or two later when they DID show, the dryer was toast, not fixable.

Lesson learned? DON'T BUY APPLIANCES FROM SEARS.

Z

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i used to think kenmore was reasonably reliable, but with lots of reviews showing that the products are hit and miss, i generally stay away.

that said, I actually bought a portable dishwasher about 2 yrs ago, (sears clearance) and it worked much better than the whilrpool built in one i now have.

What i don't understand is why they source from SO many dif manufacturers. a bunch of washers will be from a few different companies. it doesn't seem to be consistent.

i found a good source for seeing feedback and input on appliances in general. the consumer's reports forum. you don't have to subscribe/pay to see it. you can read posts on dif topics and there are some appliance retailers and repair ppl that contribute.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Maybe it is the luck of the draw. I have had my Kenmore Washer for 20 years and it still works great. Only thing that was replaced was the knob to turn it to the different cycles.(less than $5.00)

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    Maybe it is the luck of the draw. I have had my Kenmore Washer for 20 years and it still works great. Only thing that was replaced was the knob to turn it to the different cycles.(less than $5.00)

that's the thing, i think there was a time when they cared and were more reliable.

now they have multiple companies making heir appliances. even within specific appliance types they will be sourcing from more than one manufacturer.

heck, you read reviews on the latest and greatest, that have been advertised like crazy. people are having problems with machines breaking down and needing expensive parts within 5 years.

i get so paranoid, i research the heck out of something before i buy it!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

The thing is that my DH wanted me to buy the Boesch dishwasher but I said that our last Kenmore dishwasher ( which was a basic builtin) was 20 years old and still working just fine so why no buy another Kenmore? I do usually do a lot more research before making a major purchase such as a dishwasher but we were just moving into the house that we had spent months building and were a little pressed for time.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tweets77 View Post
    The thing is that my DH wanted me to buy the Boesch dishwasher but I said that our last Kenmore dishwasher ( which was a basic builtin) was 20 years old and still working just fine so why no buy another Kenmore? I do usually do a lot more research before making a major purchase such as a dishwasher but we were just moving into the house that we had spent months building and were a little pressed for time.

what a letdown. really hurts when your hard earned (spent ) money just feels wasted. not to mention time and effort.

good luck with the next one
    R

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

I purchased this dishwasher new from Sears in November '07. Recently the machine started to make noise when washing and rinsing the dishes. Keep in mind that I have had Kenmore appliances in my home for 20+ years and have had very little problems. We have an open concept home and I bought this particular machine because it is supposed to be quiet when it is running. So my DH did some research and found that these machines are notorious for losing the bearings in the motor!!! So a new motor was purchased ($153.00 + taxes) and installed by my DH. ( Yes, I am very lucky that he can do these things) So now this week's project is to draft a letter to a few people at Sears.. be careful everyone!
    Yesterday I mailed out my letters. They went to three different levels of Sears customer service so now we shall see what if anything happens!

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

So yesterday I finally get some sort of response from Sears. I received a phone call from a customer service rep who gave me some lip service about I should have purchased the extended warranty and then I wouldn't have this problem, but could she sent me a $50.00 gift card to help pay for the motor that we had to install. I accepted the gift card (I am not stupid!) but I did tell her that when this happened again they could have their dishwasher back and that I would purchase another brand.

Thread Information