User Tag List

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

Expired
    I'm sure everyone in Toronto has heard about the fire in the high rise over at Wellesley and Sherbourne that has displaced about 1700 people for who knows how long. But if you haven't, here's some info:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...1-700-homeless

http://www.blogto.com/city/2010/09/f..._and_bleecker/

That is my sister's friend's building and like the other residents she is out of her place and staying in a hotel (one of the lucky ones who was able to afford a hotel).

I am going to be dropping off some basic personal hygeine supplies to donate to those who are affected by the fire - to use now and for those residents whose apartments were damaged by the fire (or the water from putting it out).

I haven't read up on where the donations are being collected (last I heard it was the Sherbourne Community Centre across the street from the building), but if anyone else is looking for a place to make a donation this might be a good cause to donate to - this building is one of the biggest Toronto Social Housing units and there are a lot of low income families as well as those with physical and/or mental health problems living there.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    I'm always open to trading for pet product coupons (especially free products and high value coupons) - I donate these items to shelters and rescue groups.
    My motivation - My Dog. Read his story here: www.freewebs.com/michelle_and_dinglehopper

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Yes, it was pretty brutal - I've never heard of a fire in Toronto going to a full seven alarms in the ~10 years I've been involved in emergency management. Even the huge Queen Street one was "only" six.

Those poor people must be getting frustrated by not being able to go back in yet, or even get some idea of when they're likely to be able to do so - but anything that serious needs to be very carefully examined for structural and electrical issues. It takes a long time to do everything, and it can't be a half-baked job. And then there are the bajillion different departments and authorities involved - yikes.

As inconvenient as it is, thankfully at least no one was killed.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Has anyone heard whether they've been allowed to get their pets out yet? Last I saw, there were still some cats & small animals that were left alone in the apts & the owners aren't allowed in to check on them or get them out.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

According to the City's website:

Donations of cheques, gift cards and clothing are being accepted at 519 Church Street.

Items most needed include: new underwear and socks for men and women regular and plus sizes; gently used outside clothing (jackets etc.); older boys clothing; blankets and towels; school supplies; back packs; toiletries; and shoes. Baby clothes and furniture are not a high priority at this time.

Drop off and pickup hours at 519 Church Street:

Sunday 12 noon - 5pm
    Monday to Friday 9 am - 9pm
    Weekends 10 am - 5pm

I've been volunteering at both the Wellesley Community Centre and McCaul Street shelters. You can't go wrong with personal items like toothpaste, shampoo, etc. Socks and underwear are also in high demand, especially in XXL, XXXL sizes.

As for pets, Toronto Animal Services/Fire Services have been in the apartments trying to get them out. The cats are the hardest because they hide, but food and water has been left out for them. Both shelters have pet-friendly rooms so owners and pets can be together.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Thanks Kinyozi!

Yes, poor animals...they are no doubt traumatized by the noise and smoke smells and I imagine it's tough on them not having "Mom" or "Dad" around too. And as a cat mom myself, I would be out of my mind worrying about my pet...no doubt they're doing the best they can to get them out and reunited with their owners though.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

And more about the pets from a press release from OSPCA:

Horrific fire leaves over 200 animals needing immediate care.

The Ontario SPCA is reaching out to the public for assistance.

Newmarket, ON (September 28, 2010) - The Ontario SPCA, along with Toronto Animal Services and the Etobicoke Humane Society are working together to save over 200 animals that survived a horrific fire on Wellesley Street East in Toronto, this past weekend.

Toronto Animal Services was quick to the scene to help pet owners care for their animals while they are without a home.

Searching the building for owner’s pets, Toronto Animal Services came across several animals that appeared to be neglected and requiring urgent care, and immediately called the Ontario SPCA. Working through the night, Etobicoke Humane Society Ontario SPCA Agent, Jerry Higgins, and Toronto Animal Services staff removed 200 Canary-type birds and one cat requiring immediate veterinary care. These animals are currently in the custody of the Ontario SPCA and an investigation has begun.

Toronto Animal Services is continuing to care for many other animals that were affected by the fire. Both dog food and cat care supplies have been sent to the Toronto Animal Services from the Ontario SPCA this evening; however, more supplies are needed. We are reaching out to citizens to assist in the care of these homeless pets.

We are asking for the following items: food for both cats and dogs, cat litter, disposable aluminum pans (large and small) to be used as litter boxes and food/water dishes.

Donations can be dropped off at the Wellesley Community Centre at 495 Sherbourne Street in Toronto, or at the Toronto Animal Services, South Region Shelter at 140 Princes' Blvd., (Horse Palace, Exhibition Place).

In addition, the Ontario SPCA is asking for donations of bird food to help care for the 200 birds in our facilities. If you wish to donate to help the birds please contact the Ontario SPCA 1-888-668-7722.

##

For more information contact:
    Alison Cross
    Manager, Marketing and Communications
    Ontario SPCA
    (905) 853-2108 Mobile
    [email protected]

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I will check WM and NF tonight for food for them. Poor little critters.

Trading Score
    149 (100%)

Is anyone from downtown gathering stuffs for donation?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I was just thinking it might be a good idea for us to do the Thanksgiving donations there instead, Trips - what do you think?

My only problem is my sister's getting married and I am running around like a headless chicken. But I will find time!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

I'm going to go out this weekend and shop for some things to donate. We had a tiny tiny fire on my floor many years ago and our places were awful from the smoke. I can't imagine what these people must be going through.

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

My sister's friend has cats - and they are still in the building, but she said that Toronto Animal Services is going in and feeding/watering them and ensuring they are safe.

I believe that a lot of the animals that they are looking for homes for may be the 200+ birds that they just discovered in one apartment.

It's too bad I just had my pet food stash picked up last month. If I still had it I'd have arranged to get it to the 519 for the fire survivors.
    I'm always open to trading for pet product coupons (especially free products and high value coupons) - I donate these items to shelters and rescue groups.
    My motivation - My Dog. Read his story here: www.freewebs.com/michelle_and_dinglehopper

Thread Information