User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Is costco worth the money?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Alright, so this is what I want to know, basically- can you find really, truly amazing deals on items (essential needs, really) at costco? Should I save my half of the 55 (splitting with mom) and just coupon? I really want to know!

Also, if you can give me any feedback on the store in Moncton, as well as that huuuuuuuuge one in Halifax, that would be great!
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

I have a Costco membership that I split with my Mom and Dad and I love it.

While I can get alot of stuff like laundry soap and cleaners and stuff nearly free using coupons at LD I still think it's worth it if you share. I buy the bulk packs of Lilydale chicken and things like the salmon, halibut, etc and then vac seal them at home before storing in the freezer.

I also have to say they are awesome for things like towels, bedding,furniture and gifts like chocolates,etc... so I wouldn't give up my membership

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

same here. we also buy the bulk garbage bags.. i get 10x the amount of bags for 2x what i spend in the store.. their clothes area high quality as well.. they are also great if you are hosting parties near the holidays.. cheaper to buy bigger bags and make trays.. or for their cakes.. and buns as well. you really have to know your individual prices on some bulk items ie. 3 boxes of pads... to know if its cheaper to use coupons or not.. if you figure you spend $25 at least once. in a year there.. you've paid for your membership if your splitting.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

For the most part, I just buy lint rollers and cat litter there (my cat won`t use the box unless he has his favourite litter, so I`m forced to buy a Costco membership so I can buy it!). They do have some neat stuff around the holidays, though, and usually the toys and gift sets they have are at a pretty good price, though they sell out fast.

I get a bit anxious going in there, though. Some people go in there and spend $200 for half a cart of impulse purchases and nonessential items. It feels kind of overwhelming and indulgent! I think a lot of the shoppers there have a fair amount of disposable income. Quite often the deals on toiletries and things are better elsewhere with coupons/sales. It's important to consider unit prices.

Some of the clothing is a good price, though when I buy clothing there I often feel that I see other people wearing the same thing wherever I go!

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I gave up my membership, even though I shared with my mom. I found I spent way more than I intended to, and found I could do better using coupons.
    I dont miss my membership

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    204 (97%)

i'm not too farmilliar wuth costco. do they not accept coupons? we were thinking of getting a membership ourselves but i've been hearing mixed reviews from everyone we ask.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

We gave up our membership, we just didn't buy enough with just the two of us to make it worthwhile and often the deals are better elsewhere with coupons
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

with the new gas station that opened up here, I'm saving $5/tank, so in a year I save $200 which more than pays for the membership. then I still get to use the card to buy steaks and print photos.
    Last edited by travelgeek; Fri, Oct 15th, 2010 at 12:29 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cherriez View Post
    i'm not too farmilliar wuth costco. do they not accept coupons?
    they only accept their own coupons, nothing else.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

i have a 100.00 Executive membership because dh and i shop there alot and get 2% back....i love it there for the fresh meats and unique christmas stuff, etcc...and i like getting 25% off magazines...
    anyways i LOVE my membership and would never give it up.

Trading Score
    123 (99%)

for meat and fresh foods its totally worth it... for items like laundry soap/ deo/ razors etc its not worth it

Trading Score
    118 (100%)

I agree--I can see the meats/bigger food/other items being WELL worth it. Personally, I don't have a mambership... I jus tag a long with a friend or ask them to get me something if I have my eyes set on something--and pay them back. My family is just daughter and I so we don't need much.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    125 (99%)

There are some things that Costco has that make it worth it over the course of a year. You can buy tires, printer ink, steaks and turkeys, milk, lunch meat, ketchup and spices, huge jugs of Tide, Shout, and Cascade ActionPacs even cheaper than coupons. It's worth it over just two trips for our family of three. Vitamins and diapers are also cheap cheap if you don't have enough coupons to make the stacking worthwhile. Christmas shopping for books, clothes, and DVDs will also find some things at Costco that other discount stores don't carry.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

We were about to give up our membership, until I discovered their cheap propane. I grill year round (even if I have to shovel the deck off first, lol!), and I can get a full tank for about $11 there. For that alone it is worth it for us.

Everything else, you do need to be aware of how much things cost (but you're an SC-er, of course you have that knowledge!). I see people all the time buying giant things of paper towels, toilet paper, laundry soap, etc., and they mostly just aren't a deal.

Another thing I buy there regularly is steak. Their top sirloin grilling steak is just a bit more than you'd pay at Sobeys or Superstore, but it's honestly 10x better! Thick, tender, flavourful, delicious!

Lastly, I've been told that their return policy rocks. I've never really used it, so no firsthand knowledge, except on membership fees. When we tried the Executive membership, (got talked into it by the counter staff when we went to renew), we were assured that if it didn't pay off for us, they'd refund the difference. Clearly we don't shop enough to make THAT worthwhile, our refund cheque was something like $6. But true to their word, they refunded the extra amount we paid for the Executive membership, no problem at all.

If anyone in Halifax ever wants to go on a Costco expedition, I'd be more than happy to accompany you so you can shop on my membership.

Z

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

We share ours with BF's parents...they pay for it lol but if I had to buy my own I would! Love there fresh meats...I can't buy chicken breast anywhere else like they have it..clean and fat free.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information