User Tag List

Thread: Hair Clippers?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Hi all:

Does anyone have a recommendation on clippers to cut hair? I keep DS's hair quite short anyhow, so thought I'd get some clippers.

Most of the ones I saw out there were $60+, but then I spotted a set at Winners for $12.99. I tried them out on DS last night; let's just say they're worth a LOT less than that! DS isn't scalped and doesn't look terrible, but they clogged up, didn't do much of anything. I need to take him to the hairdresser to get it fixed after work today!

So for next time, anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!

Z
    This thread is currently associated with: Shoppers Drug Mart, Winners

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

I recently picked up this kit http://www.remingtonproducts.com/For...cut%20Kit.aspx for Dh's hair and it's pretty good. I trimmed it when it was long and obviously it took a few passes to get it trimmed up but I have done it again while it was short and it works a charm. We paid $18 at Wal-Mart. Well worth it.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Conair (about $20 at Sears) and Wahl are good.
    Just a hint - don't bother getting a rechargeable one (more than double the price) - the cord doesn't get in the way when you are cutting/trimming.

Great price on the above Remington online even!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i use wahl ones, i got them at walmart, it was a kit with all the different length attachments.

i like them, i've used them a few times now. i looked at a lot of dif kits when i bought them, and the only other ones i would have tried would have been the oster ones.

in fact i just did hubby's hair today, and he kept going on about how good his hair looked (wife of the year for about 10 minutes lol)
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Thanks everyone, I'm definitely going to buy a decent set! We took DS to First Choice Haircutters tonight to get his 'do fixed up after this fiasco. It really wasn't bad, just not all of it was the same length and around his ears wasn't done at all. The set I had did have 5 different attachments.

So, to the 'cheap' hairdresser. How much was it? Over $12 plus a tip (because I couldn't just not give her anything) for the five minutes it took to buzz it off with #3 trimmers!
    Last edited by Zonny; Mon, Oct 18th, 2010 at 06:00 PM.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

My Bf has a yellow conair one ...I buzz his hair and is great...works wonderful! Got it at walmart last year for 38...came in a bag with a brush and 2 heads.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I bought a vidal sassoon "Solutions" one from shoppers reg 69 (omg on for 12$!!!!) and to be honest I WILL NEVER NEVER buy conair or wahl again, they are total crap compared to this one. My oldest hair is really thick and he let it grow out more. Usually id have to get out the scissors first. Not with this razor, it went through it so easily. It also swivels and has 2 blade sizes, is rechargable and no cords.
    Honestly, I would of paid frull price for this trimmer since its so awesome.

I've probably owned 15 trimmers in my life for my boys and husband. This is the best ever.

This issue with the corded ones are the cords are way too short, you have to use an extension cord if your cutting other peoples hair. They never think that you wont be standing in front of the sink plug doing it. With the recargeable you can do it anywhere anytime. No cords, no extensions
    Last edited by Sally888; Tue, Oct 19th, 2010 at 06:26 PM.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I use scissors for so many years now that i would be able to beat a hair dresser....LOL DH is fine with it ....he hates waisting his time in salons
    ..sorry, off topic.....
    Last edited by Mia001; Tue, Oct 19th, 2010 at 09:07 PM.

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

I guess the Conair brand doesn't bother me. I use it to scalp DH weekly, does the job.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I forgot to mention, the first $12.99 set I bought at Winners, the teeth were out of alignment and I returned those before I even used them. Made me mad, since I had to go to Bayers Lake on the bus! I'm even more annoyed to find that this second set is total crap!

I couldn't even go through DS's hair, and it's not very long, the teeth got jammed up with hair and the motor would make a different noise.

If I can find a decent set for not piles of cash I'll be buying. I do appreciate the advice from you all. Even DH gets his hair buzzed at the Navy base where he works, it's fairly cheap in their shop. But not as cheap as me with well-working clippers! Wish I could find Sally's $12 deal.

Z

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Check your sdm, this was just last month. I bought 2 sets and gave one to my husbands brothehr. Honestly they are worth even paying full price for.

vidal sassoon solutions.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Dog shears work pretty good! Thats what I use for giving the dudes in my family haircuts (yes including the guy dogs, but I always wash the clippers after them :D the girl dog doesn't need to have haircuts which is nice LOL).
    In 2010/11 I used over $7700 in coupons!
    My 2012 goal is $6000 in coupons!

:::Alee142010:::

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

couly you aploading some pictures?
    yes.

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

Sears outlet usually has good deals, we have a cheap conair one that craps out on us sometimes.. we ran out of oil for the machine, so we use some hopps 9 gun oil we have kicking around and it makes it work like new. Did you try putting any lubricant on your sheers?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I ended up buying some Wahl clippers at Walmart over the holidays for about $30. They were in a plastic case, came with a cape and many guards for cutting hair.

I tried them on DH first (he volunteered). Took a bit of experimentation to find the right length, but they cut VERY well.

Next was DS. Again, had to experiment to find the right length. Overall it came out GREAT, these clippers just ran on through the hair, made it all the same length. But my first cut wasn't short enough, it still stuck up in the morning, so a week later I tried again with shorter guard. Good results, all uniform, nothing sticking out.

The main problem was that my DS is four and wiggly, so it was very difficult to make it even along his neckline, around his ears, and in front. We also have to work on his leaning the right way so the hair doesn't land in his face, he ended up spitting a lot.

Thread Information