User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you shop at my Thrift Store?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 42.86%
  • Maybe

3 42.86%
  • No

1 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Times are tough for some of us, and I have been thinking of opening up a small Thrift Store in the North East end of Edmonton.

The idea is that I would donate a portion of my profits to a charity every month - eg January - Hope Mission, February - Cross Cancer, March - Liver foundation, April - Alzheimers Society, etc.

I have a few things at home I could use to start up the store.

My main source would have to be from donations - I would get the donations, and sort them (hopefully employ at least one person) and hang them up or arrange them on shelves.

All clothes would be $1.00 each - ladies, gents, kids - everything, and toys, kitchenware, books, odds and ends would be marked appropriately - $1.00 or less.

Can I have some input from you please?

Do you think this is a viable idea? Would it work? Do you think you or your friends would shop there? How do you think I would get the donations? Do you think asking for donations on Kijiji would help? Any other sites or suggestions as to where to find donations from?

Thanks in advance everyone!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Think Green! bump!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think if your prices were low enough to attract people and permit you to cover your expenses it would work.

Where are you thinking about opening? Claireview, Londonderry?

I've been reading a lot of vintage and thrift blogs lately. I'm always amazed at what people in the US and UK can pick up for so little but the thrift store here are expensive.

Have you thought about running a jumble sale type event in the proposed store, say once a month?

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

Hi,
    I am an avid thriftstore shopper, lol...the one I love the best are priced as follows:
    Clothing for adults 1-3.00 each (a winter jacket would go for 3.00, but a t-shirt would be 1.00)
    Shoes are all 2.00 a pair
    kids clothing is all .50-1.00 no matter what size up to size 16
    Housewears are all between .25-2.00 ( utensils/glasses/dishes are all .25cents, curtains/blankets/pots&pans etc...are all 2.00)
    other things like lamps, small appliances etc..are anywhere between 2-4.00 a piece.

These thriftshops I go to are run by the ladies hospital auxiliary and all items are donated by the public, and funds go to the hospital for equipment, books, etc...for patients...and all staff are volunteers.

I think if you could make enough of a profit to run your utilities, and pay yourself a wage, then I'm sure you can make a go of it...you can also ask for donations via kijiji.

Good luck, I think every town needs at least one good thrift shop where everyone can shop, regardless of how much they make.

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pippinelkhound View Post
    I think if your prices were low enough to attract people and permit you to cover your expenses it would work.

Where are you thinking about opening? Claireview, Londonderry?

I've been reading a lot of vintage and thrift blogs lately. I'm always amazed at what people in the US and UK can pick up for so little but the thrift store here are expensive.

Have you thought about running a jumble sale type event in the proposed store, say once a month?
    Thanks pippinelkhound!! The jumble sale type event is a great idea - I would need to have adequate amounts of merchandise first I guess...

I am thinking of opening in the warehouse next to our bottle depot - Clareview Bottle Depot - 12807 53 Street, which is actually the Kennedale area. The challenge there, is that a new discount thrift store just opened up on 50th Street and 128/129 St and there is a Salvation Army Thrift Store on 50th St and about 127/128 St.

The Discount Thrift Store is operated by an experienced person - she has another one in the west end. The Salvation Army one is really pricey sometimes -(well, in a Thrift store kind of way).

My proposed location would be a little ways inside, so the exposure is not as great as that the other two stores have.

My real aim is to help the people in the area, and to further help the community by donating part of my profits (hopefully there will be some returns....) to local charities. When working at the bottle depot as I occassionally do, I see the need - and the disparity. People would get the clothing and kitchenware etc at low prices, and they would be able to afford to clothe themselves and their children well. The money saved could go towards good food and better shelter. I am no philanthropist - I do not have money to spare, but I just want to help out, and make a bit of money for myself too if I can.

Maybe I am looking too far ahead, but I really would like to see poverty irradicated and for people to live with dignity and hope. Providing affordable alternatives is my way of thinking I may be able to help out...

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Thank you for your input Litesandsirens 911!

You quoting the prices also gives me ideas as to the pricing!

I too love to shop at Thrift Stores - even if it just to pick up some books or magazines sometimes!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

yes, I pay .50 for books and .25 for magazines...also, if you want to do something else to help out, sometimes in the late spring, highschools have a prom, but some grads cannot afford a grad dress and accessories...many families just cannot afford this, but feel bad if their child cannot attend because it's the child who goes without...in my old city, there was a woman who would ask for donations through kijiji all year round and explain what it was for...she would then ask a local drycleaner to donate the cleaning, and then all the girls who needed to, could come and borrow a dress for prom as well as all the accesories (hairclips, costume jewelery)
    Anyways just an idea, I would love to someday give back like that.
    If you need any other prices, let me know.

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Thanks again Litesandsirens911!

I put out books for 0.25 cents and magazines for 0.20 cents today at the bottle depot. The books sold well, but not much interest in the magazines yet - and they are good mags too - First magazine, Oprah, Women's world, Chatelaine, Canadian Living, National Geographic, etc. I will just wait and see. I think I may put out a few clothes at the Bottle Depot (I am not there during the work week - usually work there on Sat/Sun) and see what interest I get.

The thing is, because people don't know about it, how many people's interest would I get eh? Fancy going to a bottle depot to "thrift shop". Mind you, after turning the bottles and cans in, you would think people would look through stuff?

I am ever hopeful - actually, last year, I gave people gloves (dollar store ones) and sandwiches etc., but sometimes it gets risky because then they come and demand free stuff. That is why I thought that if there is a minimal dollar value attached, it is not really free, and there is a sense of pride in someone buying something as opposed to getting it free. I could, occassionally, let something slip free to a completely needy person of course!

Yes - my kids are both over 18 and it would be nice to be able to give back to the community - in the best way I can. Currently I have taken time off of work (leave without pay) to look after my ailing mum. So I work at the depot on the weekends, both to get out of the house (my sis looks after mum on weekends) as well as to make some pocket change

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

Sounds like you are a wonderful person with a very giving heart
    Good luck.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

I think it's a wonderful idea IF the prices are cheap. I know a lot of ppl who have quit shopping at thrift stores as what some of what they are asking for you can buy new. There doesn't seem to be anymore like 10 cent items. When I lived in Edmonton I wanted to do the same thing, but I was told if you were donating, you had to be a part of some organization. It wasn't just easy to open up and go Things may have changed, I have no clue. I wanted to give half the profits to the animal shelters, so it may be different. If I still lived in ED, I would support ya in a heartbeat. I LOVE unique items that one cannot find in a average store like walmart, zellers etc. Sadly I don't go to the thrift stores here much anymore. They want 75.00 for a dresser one can find at a dump. I think bottom line, if your prices are good, ppl will come If you do decide to, I wish you all the best!!!! And let me know so I can come shop next time I'm down there lol. Best wishes for you
    LF: $ 4.00 off any covergirl, 2.00 axe,RLF ARMSTRONG cheese, black diamond, 3.00 gain. 2.00 Majesta. Have 5.00 walmart gc.

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Thanks for all your input and ideas everyone.... I had not thought about overheads, BUT you see, I was hoping that my husband would "give" me a bit of free warehouse space in the bottle depot for my storefront, and a bit of storage space too. So far he has not been too keen on the idea because he too thinks we may get garbage dumped at the door. As it is, he has had problems with people dumping sofas, canopies, fridges etc in the back of the bottle depot - I guess people do their dumping at night to save on fees for dumping...
    Also, I guess I would need computer software, or at least a cash register, and a business licence, and have to do lots of cleaning and sorting and all, and with me having to stay at home to look after my ailing Mum, I think it would be a very difficult task. - lots of expenses upfront too...
    I am still going to be positive and see what to do - if there is something else I can do - perhaps. The ebay idea from mercyehm (different thread) is great too, but I am so not good with computers and stuff... sigh!

Trading Score
    232 (100%)

Hi mhk,

I think if you could get some free space in the depot, then it would be worthwhile to try it out. Hopefully you could get people to spend what they just cashed in with their empties. I agree with your husband's concerns re: dumping, though - you would have to work out how you are going to collect your donations... don't have an immediate answer for you on that.

I would hesitate to rent outside space though, without doing a really comprehensive business plan. I think with this type of business, the margins are quite thin, and you don't want to be worrying about cash flow when your Mom is your first priority.

Keep us posted!

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Hi Pennywise so nice to hear from you again!! - I hear ya - just wish I could help out some of the people in the area. We have a customer who just had his 7th child, (well his wife did ) and the oldest one is only 9. How do they survive even on the bottle pickings they do? I got some baby clothes and gave him a boxful. Perhaps some formula and diapers next.... I just wish I could help, but then my Mum needs me too - and yes she would be my first priority eh!

thatgengirl
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I work for a second-hand store in Edmonton. If you're relying on donations, you're going to have either A) sub-par stock or B) no stock

Where I work, we pay for the items brought to us, and even then, we're still only able to purchase 20% of what's brought in because most of it is in terrible, terrible condition.

With the economy where it's at we've actually doubled our customer base because people would rather sell than donate. We're buying twice as much, but still selling the same amount.

Good luck. The first thing I would do is ask other businesses in the area what they're overhead is for utilities, phone, rent, taxes... and then determine how much you would need to sell each month to cover that.

thatgengirl
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

p.s. I only voted no because I live on the Southside and I never travel across town for shopping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information