User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am always looking for the best deals in my grocery shopping. I have caught on to the fact that Superstore always marks down product prices based on the sell before dates. Basically, the more urgent it is for them to get something off the shelf, the cheaper things get.

I have also noticed, however, that there seems to be optimal times for getting these deals. If you are there on the right day at the right time, more markdowns are available. I am fortunate to work very near to a Superstore so I can roam over almost anytime during my work day to see what's on.

Does anyone have any good tips on what system the grocery stores use to determine when to mark down items? I haven't figured out the system yet if there is one - and they seem to want to avoid people figuring it out too much.
    This thread is currently associated with: Mark's, Real Canadian Superstore RCSS

Banned
    Trading Score
    38 (100%)

I don't know how it works at all. BUT, on Sunday morning I went to do my groceries at Food Basics and there were quite a few people swarming the discount meat section. I happened to find a bunch of chicken that was all marked down $8 per package! I bought 6 packs of it. I also got a roast for 50% off.

I think the grocery stores must mark down the meat first thing in the morning?

Lost in the Coupon Pile freefreed's Avatar
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Meat, Produce and Bread First thing in the morning at My RCSS.... Zellers Does there dairy at around 10am....

I think it probably really depends on the store and its location... but I would go first thing the the AM!
    Please vote for our summer traditions on Facebook

http://fbk.summertraditions.projects.fm/entry/4392085

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyC View Post
    I don't know how it works at all. BUT, on Sunday morning I went to do my groceries at Food Basics and there were quite a few people swarming the discount meat section. I happened to find a bunch of chicken that was all marked down $8 per package! I bought 6 packs of it. I also got a roast for 50% off.

I think the grocery stores must mark down the meat first thing in the morning?
    They do, and they rarely do it on Saturdays. They'll wait 'till Sunday. Most people do grocery shopping Saturdays, and church/lazy days on Sunday. I'd go during the hours church is on, because thats where majority of the crowds will be. So not only will you have good deals, there will be less people.
    Last edited by Brandy Hunter; Mon, Jan 3rd, 2011 at 10:15 PM.
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Most of my local stores mark down the majority of meat on Sunday (but also daily. WM does theirs around 4pm, Food Basics in the morning)
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Metro Meat - early am.
    Metro Veg - mid afn
    SDM Bread - early am
    SDM Milk - random

Prior to a long weekend/holiday in Toronto (and other places too I am sure)

The grocerry store in the Toronto Underground pathway (close by to the LCBO and the bagel store) used to all but give away free orchids post holidays. And the flower booths just before the long weekends. Not worked in the city for a long time so not sure, but yes, veggies and any other perishables are normally lowered later in the day.

Soup Nutsy would drop their prices by 3:00 pm too.. but that was over 3 years ago.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponclipingjerk View Post
    The grocerry store in the Toronto Underground pathway (close by to the LCBO and the bagel store)
    Which building is this in? The only place I can think of that has an LCBO near it is the Kitchen Table in First Canadian Place...but I don't know if there's a bagel shop near it.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

The RCSS near me actually does their bread markdowns on Saturday morning. I use to work there, and they'd always do it right near opening and it was mostly all gone by 10 or 11.

brittanyb
    Trading Score
    153 (100%)

walmart super center is about 10-11 am everyday for meats

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Yes I would say my Safeway marks down meat first thing in the morning. I have learned to watch the expiry dates on things like bacon, milk and cream at my local SDM-if I go in a day or two before the expirty date on something they have a lot of you will likely get some cheap. Also if your grocery store has the chicken or chicken pieces ( for eg Maple Leaf Prime ) that is dated for quite a few days away keep an eye on it and it will get marked down-I found some really good prices at my Sobeys yesterday for chicken dated Jan 5 and already marked down on Jan 2.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

The produce is marked down according to the quality, or if they get a new shipment in and the older product is not as good it gets marked down. The Fresh to Go Salad department have best before dates on their salad, so if you buy a lot of salads, you can watch for the dates that would expire the following day and go back in the early AM when they open to pick these up. The regular everyday grocery stuff that gets marked down happens when they de-list that particular SKU or item, or when the packaging has changed description. A lot of times our Electronics dept get stuck with a bunch of stuff that are not fast sellers and then they mark down usually @ 50% to move it as well. I am in the Supserstore everyday, first thing in the AM and I usually come out everyday with something that has a "pink" sticker, and I only buy what we a family of 2 will eat, usually fresh vegs or sometimes their meats at 30% can be a good buy

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

my two cents:

zehrs/loblaws/etc will mark down their rotisserie chickens/chicken wings (the already cooked ones) around 9 pm. 50% off

walmart also marks down their rotisserie chickens around 9:30-10 pm. always to $5

great for late night snacking!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugaldeeds View Post
    my two cents:

zehrs/loblaws/etc will mark down their rotisserie chickens/chicken wings (the already cooked ones) around 9 pm. 50% off

walmart also marks down their rotisserie chickens around 9:30-10 pm. always to $5

great for late night snacking!
    I have to watch for this- left over rotisserrie chicken makes great Chicken pot pie!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Mmm, chicken wings !
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Trading Score
    317 (100%)

The cheese in the deli area at Superstore gets marked down 2 days before the 'Best Before' date. Not the cheese behind the deli counter, but in the cheese bins. We go through alot of cheese in my house, especially parmigiana, gran padano or romano cheeses. I've never had my cheese go moldy, but it if were to happen, it's not a big deal because that's what cheese is. I know my mom cuts those pieces off and tosses them, and the remaining block of cheese is still good to use.

Thread Information