User Tag List

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

OMG, I have to take my family today to get a Hep A vaccine this weekend, because we all ate deli meat from the deli within those days...there is a news alert about it on the Duncan and Victoria radio today and here is the newspaper article too...I will never get deli stuff there again...

Health alert issued for Duncan Wal-Mart
    Vaccinations advised after food handler falls ill with hepatitis A
    RICHARD WATTS, Timescolonist.com
    Published: Friday, January 14, 2011
    Duncan Wal-Mart customers are being urged by health officials to have vaccinations against hepatitis A after a food handler at the store fell ill with the disease.
    The alert, issued by Vancouver Island Health Authority, applies to people who ate certain foods in recent weeks from the store's delicatessen, bought when the food handler was on duty.
    Anyone who ate ready-to-eat food - including salads, sliced cheese, meat or hot items like chicken wings - between Dec. 30 and Jan. 4, or meat or cheese sliced at the deli counter from Jan. 5 to Jan. 10, should be vaccinated.

Anyone who still has food bought from the deli between Dec. 20 and Jan. 4, or cheese or meat sliced at the counter between Jan. 5 and Jan. 10 should throw it out.
    The alert does not apply to other foods bought from the grocery department or the McDonald's restaurant in the store.
    Anyone who ate food from the deli between Dec. 20 and Dec. 30 may have been exposed to hepatitis A, but it is too late for a vaccination to work. Instead, they should watch for symptoms.
    Hepatitis A is an infection of the liver caused by a virus, typically spread through the feces of infected people. Symptoms can include fever, tiredness, loss of appetite, vomiting and abdominal pain followed days later by dark-coloured urine, light-coloured stools and jaundice.
    Dr. Dee Hoyano, medical health officer, said hepatitis A is rarely life-threatening unless a person already has an underlying liver condition. But it can make even a healthy person very sick for about two weeks.
    Anyone experiencing the symptoms should stay at home and contact a doctor.
    The alert follows a surge in the number of hepatitis A cases in the Cowichan Valley, 14 in total since October. Normally, B.C. records less than 50 cases per year. The Cowichan cases have been restricted within families and all the victims are recovering.
    The store reopened Thursday afternoon after it had been closed for a day to be disinfected.
    Wal-Mart spokeswoman Karin Campbell said from Ontario that vaccinations been ordered for all deli staff. Other store staff can be vaccinated on a voluntary basis.
    All products that might have been contaminated have been removed from the store, Campbell said. "All the products in our store right now, customers can be assured they are safe to purchase," she said.
    The one-shot vaccinations, which are free, will be available for four days at the Island Savings Centre, 2687 James St., Duncan, starting Friday. Vaccination times are from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m Friday and Monday, and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
    Vaccinations will also be available in Victoria at the drop-in Public Health Unit, 1947 Cook St. on Saturday and Sunday between 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Doors will be locked but patients should ring the bell.
    [email protected]
    > More information is available on the Vancouver Island Health Authority website at viha.ca.

© The Victoria Times Colonist 2011

Ads by Google<>
    This thread is currently associated with: Bell, Walmart

Stacking ninja....Hija!!! nottinkerbell's Avatar
    Trading Score
    117 (100%)

saw that on the news.....luckily I don't buy deli meat cuz it gives me hives ...lol....but u are no safer buying it somewhere else. An employee at another store could just as easily end up having Hep A and not realize it or not disclose it.
    Have I mentioned I love coupons??

Stacking ninja....Hija!!! nottinkerbell's Avatar
    Trading Score
    117 (100%)

SOrry your family has to go thru all that though....(((hugs)))
    Last edited by nottinkerbell; Sat, Jan 15th, 2011 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Have I mentioned I love coupons??

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I completely agree, i am sorry to hear you are going through this and we had a scare too we bought deli meat on the 15th not later, thank goodness, but any other store could have the same thing happen, we are all lucky that this person came out and told the appropriate people.
    Im not saying your not wanting to go there again isn't understandable either because my grandma wont go there now for deli meat, but I think it could happen anywhere.
    Today is a gift, that why it is called the present

Thread Information