User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    56 (100%)

Okay so I have a question for everyone here. I know that we are told that a child should be weaned from breast milk or formula onto homo milk because it has the extra fat that children need, and that they should drink homo milk up until I think it is at least 3? I did this with my first son. However, this time around....we have been through so much in the past 10 months, we had to live with my in-laws for 6 months, were in a motel for a month after that, then finally into our own place....things have been so crazy, that I *completely* forgot about giving him homo milk. So now I am going crazy with worry that he is going to be underweight or not as tall as he should be because of this!! Is this like a huge huge thing that will make a big difference for him? Honestly, he was not weaned off formula until probably 14 months, and he doesn't even drink that much milk (a glass a day usually), he eats three meals plus snacks through out the day.....he is a good weight (his last weigh in about 3 months ago he was just over 26 lbs) and he is average height for his age. I guess I just worry because he is thinner and shorter then his brother was at the same age and he still wears size 18 month shirts and pants.....
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I wouldnt worry about it..all kids are different...unless doctors point out hes a failure to thrive, then dont worry, he eats healthy, drinks, plays...dont worry
    Long Live the Frogs!
    One busy Frog hoppin' along.....

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Neither of my kids have had a drop of milk and one is in the 90th percentile in height.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

My son is 2 1/2 and drinks 2%. I stopped buying homo at the age of 2. Its no biggie....i babysit and the lady i sit for said yesterday that my son looks way to skinny. He is REALLY skinny but very tall for his age. He eats ALL day long and drink when he is thirsty. I dont think it makes a difference. Every child is different. My son just happens to have his ribs popping out everywhere...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

My understanding is that they only need to be on homo milk until they're two, and then 2% is just fine! I was told not to go to 1% or skim, though . It sounds like your little one is happy and healthy - keep up the good work, momma!

Trading Score
    118 (100%)

No worries. Good advice above!

my kid was on Whole milk... but with recent poop issues, we're doing lactose free. 2%. She is a tiny girl, hehe. No one is concerned as she has ALWAYS been small (born 5 and half pounds and at 38 weeks.. but I still think it was really technically 36 weeks, hehehe) and is growing as she should be according to those charts and such and such!

RandiLovesFreebies
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

2% milk is fine. My son just turned 2 and he has been on 2% for a few months. They shouldnt drink too much homo milk, because it is fattening and at this age they are eating regular meals so it doesnt hurt to give them 2%. My boy is very tall for his age and he weighs about 43 pounds, even though he is 2. I think he is so heavy because he did drink alot of homo milk. So Im sure your son will be fine

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

None of my kids were able to have homo milk as it constipated them. So when they went off formula they went onto 2%

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Whole milk is only 4% anyhow, so it's not THAT different. I wouldn't worry about it.

Different kids are different sizes, you can't really compare to other kids at the same age, or even brothers.

We have a friend with a daughter a week older than our DS (they're four and a half now). My DS was 40 pounds at age two, while my friend's daughter is 30 pounds at age four and doesn't weigh enough to get out of the car seat and into a booster. She's perfectly healthy, so's my son, they're just different.
    Last edited by Zonny; Fri, Jan 14th, 2011 at 06:24 PM.

Trading Score
    149 (100%)

My kids are scrawny and the pediatrician told us to keep them on homo milk until they are 6 years old but honestly, I don't think my kids will ever be 'big sized' kids - blame it on my short Asian genes.

As a mom whose daughter is still at 22lbs at the age of 3 (she was born 1lb 6oz), each child has their own growth curve and as long as they are growing nicely, you shouldn't worry.

Banned
    Trading Score
    38 (100%)

We made the switch to 2% at an earlier age too (1.5), because we drink skim and our older child drinks 2% and we didn't want to be buying 3 kinds of milk. We had no issues at all, he is healthy and the doctor said it was ok to give 2%. I think they get the fat from other souces like yogurt, cheese, etc.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyC View Post
    We made the switch to 2% at an earlier age too (1.5), because we drink skim and our older child drinks 2% and we didn't want to be buying 3 kinds of milk. We had no issues at all, he is healthy and the doctor said it was ok to give 2%. I think they get the fat from other souces like yogurt, cheese, etc.
    I think we switched by age two (can't really remember now!). My DS was plenty big for his age, I didn't think he really needed the additional fats. Plus he gets plenty of dairy fats, loves cheese, yogurt, and back then, Minigo! I don't buy those anymore, they're too small for my DS, he'd probably eat three in one sitting!

A side note, back when he was a baby I made my own baby food, and read that avacado was very good for babies, lots of healthy fats. That was the only food that he ever spit back out at me! I don't blame him, I am not a fan of green slimy foods either! Avacado is gross to me.

Z

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

I've been told by 2 public health nurses that 2% milk is ok after 18 months (with the amounts of cheese and yogurt they usually eat as well). That's when we switched her from homo.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I've always kept them on Homo until 2.

I was told they needed the fat, not for general body fat, but they need the extra fat to help in brain development.

But honestly, what's done is done. Does really matter cause you can't go back. Many children don't drink milk and turn out just fine. I wouldn't worry about what's done. I would just start giving him homo now and move forward!
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've heard it's just for the brain development as well but we give our first daughter who is three 2% and our 14 month old the same because I grew up on that. The doctor actually told us to switch with our first daughter Daley because of her weight she was in the 90% for height and weight and he was scared she might get heavier too fast.
    I think every family is different and whatever you feel is right for you is right and if the doctor hasn't has an issue then you are fine!
    Today is a gift, that why it is called the present

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information