User Tag List

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Hi Abbotsford

Just started using my breadmaker last week for the first time and now I can't stop! I was wondering if anyone could tell me the cheapest place to buy items like flour, bread flour,oats,etc??????

Would it be smarter to buy items in the bulk sections?

Any suggestions are appreciated
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Bulk sections are typically more expensive. I only use them when I just need a tiny bit of something. I usually just watch the stores for the lowest prices. I haven't done a whole lot of price comparison on those items yet, but if you watch the price trends it should be easy to figure out.

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

Superstore probably. That's where I would look first, plus they have bulk there so you could check that out.
    Amazon and Starbucks GiftCards for Searching the net? Yes I did and so can you!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/canadianbugga

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

bulk is not always cheaper, I usually check the shelf price vs. bulk (bring a calculator, so you can convert product weight into price/per 100g.)

The best place to buy bulk products are Save On & PriceSmart, simply because they keep the bulk section scrupulously clean (all scoops & bin lids are washed & disinfected every night) and because they sell such high volumes of bulk items, you know that you are purchasing fresh product (both these points are important to me !) Also, both these stores keep their unwrapped candy selections on the top rack with pulldown dispensers; this keeps 'germy' little (and big) hands out!

other stores don't keep their bulk section as clean, or have a high turnover of product, and their candy selections are low to the ground,( and little fingers help themselves all the time.)

Costco may be your best option to stock up on baking supplies; they have great prices on pure vanilla & other extracts, baking powder & spices. Flour is a good price there too.

I have also heard great things about the Bellingham Costco lately, so I;m going to check that out soon.

al

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

I'm not anywhere near you but i pick up my flour at Costco. Its the best deal i've found.
    Yeast i get from Bulk Barn(I now get the mega block and freeze it!) - i wait til the coupon for save $3 wub $10 and then also stock up other things i like for bread making.
    When my Loblaws changed to become Maxi, i found oats at 1,50 i think. Otherwise they go on sale at 2/$5 from time to time plus there are coupons!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

no Bulk Barn in BC.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbs View Post
    bulk is not always cheaper, I usually check the shelf price vs. bulk (bring a calculator, so you can convert product weight into price/per 100g.)

The best place to buy bulk products are Save On & PriceSmart, simply because they keep the bulk section scrupulously clean (all scoops & bin lids are washed & disinfected every night) and because they sell such high volumes of bulk items, you know that you are purchasing fresh product (both these points are important to me !) Also, both these stores keep their unwrapped candy selections on the top rack with pulldown dispensers; this keeps 'germy' little (and big) hands out!

other stores don't keep their bulk section as clean, or have a high turnover of product, and their candy selections are low to the ground,( and little fingers help themselves all the time.)

Costco may be your best option to stock up on baking supplies; they have great prices on pure vanilla & other extracts, baking powder & spices. Flour is a good price there too.

I have also heard great things about the Bellingham Costco lately, so I;m going to check that out soon.

al
    Thank-you barbs! I figured you would have great advice. I decided, on my own, to check out Price Smart this afternoon. You are sooo right! I found all the stuff I needed and at decent prices. My in-laws bought flour at Costco for me yesterday And I just bought a few things to try out different kinds of bread (Whole wheat flour, rolled oats, dry milk powder). I was worried that my stuff would be expensive, but I was pleasantly surprised

Thanks for the help everyone

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Awesome! Just wanted to mention, that SaveOnPriceSmart has a large variety of grains and different flours, both regular and organic, so it's easy to purchase a small amount of things to try out new recipes.

Thread Information