User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Trading Score
    126 (100%)

I have accumulated a large amount of personal care products that I would like to donate to a local charity and I am having the hardest time finding one that will actually answer my calls. I am looking for some suggestions for organizations in the Ottawa area.

I have a couple of stipulations:
    1. The charity must NOT be affiliated with any religious organization (this rules out Shepherds of Good Hope, the YMCA, the Mission, etc)
    2. The charity must be willing to issue a tax receipt

I have called numerous charities and women's shelters, explained that I have over $500 of products I would like to donate in exchange for a tax receipt, and I can't get anyone to return my calls.

Are charities in Ottawa so overwhelmed with donations that they can afford to turn donations away?

I should mention that I have all of the items documented in a spreadsheet and have prepared CRA-approved tax receipts that the organization would simply need to sign.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    It is the mark of an educated mind to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Trading Score
    126 (100%)

bump
    - Aristotle

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

Here's a list of women's shelters for the Ottawa area - not sure which ones would provide Tax receipts but you could call! Good luck

Chrysalis House (Kanata) 1-613-591-5901
    Harmony House (2nd stage)(Ottawa) 1-613-233-3386
    Interval House of Ottawa (Ottawa) 1-613-234-5181
    Maison D’Amitie (Ottawa) 1-613-747-0020
    Nelson House (Ottawa) 1-613-225-3129
    Oshkikizis Healing Lodge (Ottawa) 1-613-789-1141
    Last edited by Tuktu60; Thu, Jan 20th, 2011 at 11:40 AM.
    Wanna get prizes and gift cards just for surfing the web?http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Tuktu60

Trading Score
    126 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuktu60 View Post
    Here's a list of women's shelters for the Ottawa area - not sure which ones would provide Tax receipts but you could call! Good luck

Chrysalis House (Kanata) 1-613-591-5901
    Harmony House (2nd stage)(Ottawa) 1-613-233-3386
    Interval House of Ottawa (Ottawa) 1-613-234-5181
    Maison D’Amitie (Ottawa) 1-613-747-0020
    Nelson House (Ottawa) 1-613-225-3129
    Oshkikizis Healing Lodge (Ottawa) 1-613-789-1141
    Thanks!
    Thanks!

I've tried Chrysalis House, Harmony House, Interval House, and Nelson House. None of them seemed interested. I explained that I had over $500 of personal care products and cleaning supplies (all new and sealed) but they didn't bite.

I'll try the other two places tomorrow. Fingers crossed...
    Last edited by mariaaz; Fri, Jan 21st, 2011 at 01:37 PM.
    - Aristotle

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mariaaz View Post
    Thanks!
    Thanks!

I've tried Chrysalis House, Harmony House, Interval House, and Nelson House. None of them seemed interested. I explained that I had over $500 of personal care products and cleaning supplied (all new and sealed) but they didn't bite.

I'll try the other two places tomorrow. Fingers crossed...
    Thats horrid. I bet the people who said no have a nice warm house to go to with those toiletries waiting for them
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Trading Score
    126 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBella View Post
    Thats horrid. I bet the people who said no have a nice warm house to go to with those toiletries waiting for them
    Yup! I am finding it really frustrating.

I can't believe that these charities really are flush with cash and bountiful donations, but they act as if they were. I have tried to make it as simple as possible. I keep a running spreadsheet of all the items I wish to donate and have offered to email it to them so they can review it first... But nothing.

I've tried emailing and calling but to no avail. I've even made the point that I enjoy doing this and will likely have several more donations throughout the year...
    - Aristotle

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    33 (97%)

I donated to Interval House of Ottawa in the fall of last year.

They could not understand why I wanted to donate? Most of the websites say to donate money but on Interval's website and others they have a list of what they need. No idea why they are giving you the cold shoulder, they were a bit confused when I donated but were very happy at the same time.

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

That's crazy that they don't want your donations!! No doubt you must be frustrated!!
    I would have a big yard sale and sell the stuff and maybe donate some of the money?
    They seem to only want cash - which is completely ridiculous! As Canadian Bella say, they probably have warm, clean houses to go to.

Good luck finding somewhere suitable to donate to. Please keep us advised where you ended up donating.
    Wanna get prizes and gift cards just for surfing the web?http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Tuktu60

Trading Score
    126 (100%)

I finally found someone to speak with at Interval House and explained that I really do have a LOT of stuff for them, that it is all itemized, and that the tax receipt that I am looking for them to sign is from CRA... all above-board etc. They are going to call me back on Monday to tell me whether they are interested or not. What the heck?! When I lived in the US, charities jumped at the chance to receive donations and would readily issue receipts...

The sample receipt can be found here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/...g.html#sample3

I'm about ready to say to heck with it, sell the items, and keep the profits myself.
    Last edited by mariaaz; Fri, Jan 21st, 2011 at 01:44 PM.
    - Aristotle

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

I wouldn't blame you to just give up soon.
    Why would they need to check and see if they are interested? HELLO????
    Its free stuff and its useful. Can't they use it?

What about the homeless shelters? There's one down across from the Les Suites Hotel that I see people at all the time.. and there's another one further down King Edward going towards the Hull bridge... I think that one's Shepherd of Good Hope Mission, but I would assume it has religious connections so not what you are looking for. I did find another web page with other emergency shelters listed

http://www.ementalhealth.ca/site/ott....php?m=1&ID=19

Lots of them are the same as the other list, but maybe there's something new there that would want your donations. I CAN'T believe any of these places don't want this stuff. Almost makes you want to contact the Citizen and ask to speak to a reporter, that's got to be a story there. Come on, so many people down and out and you have all these wonderful things to share and not one shelter/charity wants it? Unbelievable!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    33 (97%)

I think the part that is throwing them off is that you are asking for a tax paper. They probably have never given one out before so have no idea what to do. when I dropped my stuff off they were VERY hesitant to even give me an address to go too.

It's all really sad. I am thinking of maybe just giving it all to the Gloucester food Bank.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Ugh, just irks me.

The animal shelter denied my volunteering because I don't have a car (although i'd get a ride, and I didn't need one for what I was volunteering for)

Beggars can't be choosers.
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Its tough world out there. my charity is an animal rescue, and while they dont need personal care products, what i did is made a HUGE gift basket do be raffled off at a silent auction next weekend , so its a win-win, they get the cash that they need and i can get rid of supplies. Tax receipts are usually given for items over 50$

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I have to agree with Draggy...I think the fact you are asking for a tax receipt might be the issue. Charities have to be very careful about issuing gift-in-kind receipts. A small charity might not be willing to do this.

Have you tried the Ottawa Food Bank? They have an email address on their website and have told me in the past they are always looking for personal care items.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Another thought...have you tried the Ottawa Humane Society? They accept cleaning supplies and there is a form and email address on their website for In-Kind gifts.

Good luck, I think what you're doing is great.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information