User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    I also don't want to judge, but if you want to be in product sales, you should be setting up a business and paying taxes as such.
    That was one of those things that irked me..... They have set it up like a business..... "We are couponers..... we go shopping for you, take a look at what we have and feel free to submit an order... here are the prices"

This is not a situation of "hey we need to move" or "we really need cash now so I'm selling what I have"

But rather set up like a personal shopper as well as your local corner store.

"Tell us what you want us to pick up and we will coupon shop for you or.... you can buy what we have already picked up to sell here"
    "I can't brain today, I have the dumb"

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

I also have mixed feeling about this... In Winnipeg we only have one London Drugs and because of this behaviour (i.e. purchasing to sell) they placed a 2 item limit on stacking... So the rest of us get punished because a few people were taking advantage of stacking...

I usually don't get more than 2 or 3 of each item anyways when I am stacking, and I am just glad they let us stack at all...
    I've earned $125 in Amazon GCs in 7 months with SWAGBUCKS! Click here & get started: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/LCFIXE
    AMEX GOLD REWARDS CARD - 1st year FREE & get 25,000 AEROPLAN POINTS when you spend $500 in first 3 months: </SPAN>Click Here</SPAN>

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I have thrown this one back and forth myself. I was talking to a LD manager and he had commented that there was a lady who would come in every week to buy a buggy full of stuff, then sell it at a garage sale.
    It's a tough one....there is def. 'work/costs' involved in acquiring the product ..BUT...I do see the new P&G coups state 'not valid if purchases items for resale', and for that reason I think it is wrong (I know it wasn't always on the coupons, but it is now) to sell items 'bought' with those particular coupons. Obviously the mfc. are figuring out what is going on, and yes, they cannot 'track' whether you are using the coupons to buy stuff for resale...but...just because you 'get away with it' doesn't mean you should - call it the honour system.

That is just my opinion, as that is what the OP asked for...many may not agree, but that's what makes the world go round...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

The following is borrowed from another coupon site in the US...but the principal is the same. Looks like the OP is not the only one wondering about this practice...

The discussion is fairly recent (Sept. 2010)

I read an article in one of the local mailers about "coupon etiquette."

One of the "rules" states:
    "Don't use coupons to stock a flea market booth.
    You may have seen products that were free at your favorite grocery store or drugstore from a recent deal at a local flea market. If you have seen it, did you know it's illegal to do and you can report it."

While I understand that using coupons and clearing shelves simply to resell is frowned upon (and wrong IMO), what about those of us who acquire a ton of these items over a course of time? If I spend my time and effort to find, clip, look up deals, etc, I should be free to sell my items should I choose to do so. I guess my point of posting this is to ask am I the only one a bit worried about this article? I'm all for keeping coupon etiquette, but this makes me think that anyone reading this will now assume that couponers who resell are bad. I'd hate to be reported for doing something that's not wrong. I guess if I ever have a yard sale then I'll have all my receipts on hand.

You know... I have to be honest. This is a HUGE area of contention with me. It ****** me off to no end when I go to get a deal for my FAMILY'S use only to find that the crazy flea market lady has already beat me to the punch and left NOTHING for anyone else. Then she rakes in the cash on things she got for free/almost free/overage-WHATEVER. It is not legal to use coupons for items you intend to resale. Period. Coupons are for CONSUMERS not people running a resale business. It's because of people doing that, that P&G has the new verbiage on their coupons-you know-the verbiage so many here hate.

1. Coupons are redeemable only by a consumer purchasing the brand/size(s) indicated thereon with the face value of the coupon
    deducted from the retail selling price. Multiple P&G coupons (two or more, in any form including using a paper and digital coupon
    together) may not be applied against the purchase of the same item. Coupons are not redeemable by an individual who is purchasing
    products for resale which may be evidenced by larger than normal quantities of coupons presented in a single or multiple transactions.For paper coupons, P&G will deny reimbursement for any coupons which exhibit signs of misredemption, including, but not limited
    to: gang cuts, similar cuts or tears, evidence of tape, mint condition, uniform mix, sequential number patterns or excessive or larger
    than normal quantities of coupons in single or multiple transactions that would indicate the coupons were used to purchase products
    for resale and not for individual consumer use. P&G will notify and work with the retailer to identify and eliminate any problems.
    Retailers who do not respond to repeated notification and do not demonstrate willingness to eliminate problem areas will be
    suspended from receiving reimbursement for P&G coupons.
    http://www.pg.com/en_US/downloads/pa...Redemption.pdf

Last edited by mutchdutch; Fri, Feb 4th, 2011 at 03:18 PM.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Actually when I first came across this site and read about the brags and showed to my BF, his first reaction was "Are these people store owners? How could they use up all these things?" At that time most of the super brags I've read were for donations so I answered him "These are all very nice people! They donate them to charity!!"

Now that I've read this, I feel odd about it. I do get quite a lot sometimes, especially health supplements. That's only because my mom's side of relatives want us to send them these stuff on regular basis!! One time I got 10 bottles of vitamins at SDM (20x so I've been getting points for myself to "make" some "$" for all my work) and that cashier asked me if it's so cheap that I could sell them.

I guess sometimes when I go to LD and see a mysterious empty section on the shelf is because of these people. Getting stuff for cheap for family and friends are totally resonable. But making a profit, just feels odd. I mean the manufacturers did not give out coupons for businesses to cash even more.

One time (before I started couponing) I've seen a lady took the ENTIRE coupon tearpad from save on foods. I was so shocked when I saw that. I guess that's what it's for.

It's right that we should not judge how people make a living. However, as a courtesy for other shoppers, please don't clear the shelves/tearpad.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by atashi View Post
    Actually when I first came across this site and read about the brags and showed to my BF, his first reaction was "Are these people store owners? How could they use up all these things?" At that time most of the super brags I've read were for donations so I answered him "These are all very nice people! They donate them to charity!!"

Now that I've read this, I feel odd about it. I do get quite a lot sometimes, especially health supplements. That's only because my mom's side of relatives want us to send them these stuff on regular basis!! One time I got 10 bottles of vitamins at SDM (20x so I've been getting points for myself to "make" some "$" for all my work) and that cashier asked me if it's so cheap that I could sell them.

I guess sometimes when I go to LD and see a mysterious empty section on the shelf is because of these people. Getting stuff for cheap for family and friends are totally resonable. But making a profit, just feels odd. I mean the manufacturers did not give out coupons for businesses to cash even more.

One time (before I started couponing) I've seen a lady took the ENTIRE coupon tearpad from save on foods. I was so shocked when I saw that. I guess that's what it's for.

It's right that we should not judge how people make a living. However, as a courtesy for other shoppers, please don't clear the shelves/tearpad.
    I think the biggest issue for me (as was pointed out above) is that purchasing for resale is illegal..... I can totally see if you are really short on cash, something happened..... you need to liquidate..... but to purchase for the sole purpose of selling is just not okay.... it jeopardizes all of our abilities to get decent coupons and to stack let alone leaving nothing for anyone else who comes to shop

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't see what the big deal is. What people do with things they get is none of our business. If we go to a garage sale and buy something for a buck and sell it on kijiji for 50.00 who cares. London drugs isn't out any money heck they still charge here taxes when the coupons say tax included so they are making double tax on some of us wich is illegal.
    If I buy 20 bottles of something with coupons or cash it's nobodies business what I do with them. I don't have time to stack and I hate shopping so it's all good. London drugs doesn't give a hoot what we do with our items they made their money wether cash or coupons they don't care. It's a dog eat dog world you do what you have to to survive and if someone needs money badly I'm not going to condone them for selling some laundry soap or whatever. It's really not a big deal. I think people just get pizzed is because some people clear the shelves. If ya have a order that big call ahead they will order for you.
    never judge a book by it's cover...
    You reap what you sow...
    Karmas a bi***....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

purchase for resale illegal tell that to all the thrift store auctions liquidation stores that sell items that say the same thing lol. Heck one thrift store here is a religious one and they have alot of stuff for sale that states that. People need to relax, it's just stuff. I'd sooner like to hear some person is selling some of her personal belongings to survive then dealing dope or worse.
    You reap what you sow...
    Karmas a bi***....

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The difference is, they have a resale license and are paying taxes, these people are basically working under the table

I often see restaurants and small stores buying in our grocery stores too and they are more often than not the ones clearing shelves without the coupons
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I didn't say I agreed with clearing out shelves that's why I said call ahead if you have a large order so you don't clean them out.
    Everyone selling online stuff like on kijiji or newspapers, garage sales etc are not paying taxes. I guess you've never sold anything before then? I have my doubts.
    You reap what you sow...
    Karmas a bi***....

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
    purchase for resale illegal tell that to all the thrift store auctions liquidation stores that sell items that say the same thing lol. Heck one thrift store here is a religious one and they have alot of stuff for sale that states that. People need to relax, it's just stuff. I'd sooner like to hear some person is selling some of her personal belongings to survive then dealing dope or worse.
    The difference being the fine print on the coupons as mentioned above As well resale licences and taxes paid for business.... and I'm pretty sure auctions don't accept coupons
    Last edited by ypperin; Fri, Feb 4th, 2011 at 04:16 PM.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
    I didn't say I agreed with clearing out shelves that's why I said call ahead if you have a large order so you don't clean them out.
    Everyone selling online stuff like on kijiji or newspapers, garage sales etc are not paying taxes. I guess you've never sold anything before then? I have my doubts.
    There is a difference between purchasing for resale, and selling something that you purchased for yourself that didn't work out, how you expected, or you didn't particularily care for, or don't use anymore and therefore is just using up storage space (an old bookshelf for example or old washer and dryer that you no longer use as you upgraded to something newer/better). As I said in my original post this is a situation where they are conducting it as a business. There is a reason people have to purchase resale lisences and pay taxes....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I somehow don't think someone at a garage sale is going to ask if the items were bought using coupons lol What if only say 50c was used in coupons the rest cash? lol Just my 2 cents on it all everyone is entitled to their own thoughts. Isay sell now before we become a cashless society then what will we do? lol
    You reap what you sow...
    Karmas a bi***....

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

This is an interesting thread but I disagree with how some people use couponing. In this small town we have a hard enough time trying to get things with coupons without people clearing out shelves. If you don't use for yourself then leave it for others who do need it. Coupons should not be a business, IMO.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Well...the way a coupon is to be used is stipulated by the mfc. Some of the coupons state that they are not to be used on product for resale...therefore it is wrong to do so. Most coupons state that both parties must comply with the mfc. terms/conditions stated on the coupon and any other application constitutes fraud.

According to the Collins English Dictionary 10th Edition fraud can be defined as: "deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage". In the broadest sense, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual; the related adjective is fraudulent. The specific legal definition varies by legal jurisdiction. Fraud is a crime, and also a civil law violation. Defrauding people or entities of moneyor valuables is a common purpose of fraud, but there have also been fraudulent "discoveries", e.g. in science, to gain prestige rather than immediate monetary gain.

As suggested in previous posts it's about intent.

And I do think the mfc. care, otherwise they wouldn't be stipulating that ' only 4 like coupons' be used per transaction etc... It may be pennies in a pot, but they do take notice.

Overall, I don't let it bother me too much...I do what I feel is right, and that is all I need to be accountable for. I do enjoy reading other people's take on the matter, broadens my horizons - lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information