User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I offered to throw a good friend a baby shower recently, and now the guest list her mom gave me is OUT OF CONTROL!!

I need people to let me know about ANY sales on food I can use at the shower, or any sales on things that could be used as prizes.

Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks my lovelies!!

**OOPS this post became an event? What does that mean???
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by snowbride78; Fri, Feb 11th, 2011 at 11:20 PM.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Are there any other friends coming that could bring some trays of food?

I love Costco for trays of food

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Uhm, potluck shower?

The other day I used one of those Cloverleaf 5 in 5 recipes (taco tostado) and it was actually pretty cheap to assemble because I had coupons for the tuna. Some of those recipes look like they'd be nice finger foods.

I don't know what anyone else will say -- but any baby shower I've ever been to, I feel so awkward when I win a prize that's something I'm supposed to take home. When my best friend threw mine, she put little edible treats inside of baby socks and then I was given all the socks at the end -- but the attendees munched on the treats inside the socks.

Best wishes for the party!

Trading Score
    112 (100%)

I second the costco trays! For prizes you could always use scented candles (put those glade and febreze coupons to good use )
    Win daily prizes worth $150 to $10000 sign up here!! I've won 3x $150 GCs since Jan.2012
    http://www.todaysdraw.com/?invite=5780

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks ladies....hopefully I can scrounge up some things soon....the shower is a month away.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

I think I saw christie crackers for $1.67 in one of the flyers this week. Hot price. If I find it again I will be stocking up myself!

for quality and value you really can't go wrong with costco. They have awesome shrimp trays too. Depends on your budget. Costco also has a 2 pack of baguettes, slice them on the diagonal + toast them with or without garlic butter and add some bruchetta and shredded parm.
    -sugar cookies made with a teddy bear cookie cutter
    -cupcakes, easy cheap, easy to customize to your theme or even simple and elegant with dusted icing sugar (also cheap at costco) I picked up a bunch of cake mixes for a dollar at a recent sobey's dollar days. Another one may come up before your party

- I would still do a fruit plate and/or veggie plate from costco but I usually do my own cheese/deli/crackers/pickles and save money.
    Costco's hummus is a terrific deal too. Can be used with either pita/crackers, or the veggies. They also have a good meatball tray with 3? diff kinds of meatballs. decent price.

I'm rambling. But set a budget then a theme (could be a character like dinosaurs or just a theme such a "elegant" or tea party, then start a menu based on what you have already and won't need to buy then with what's on sale and/or what's a great value (ie the costco stuff). If you know the gender and it is a girl, you could score big when all the valentines stuff goes on sale in another week! Modify it slightly with lighter pinks and dollar store enhancement, ribbons, or certain stickers, balloons, that say suggest baby girl.

For prizes, it can relate to the theme or not. I used my curel coupons at Ld today and got two for 9 cents each and who doesn't love mascara or lip gloss - stack your covergirl coupons. and as mentioned smellies are cheap this week. You would be surprised how nice a candle can look when wrapped in a nice tissue paper with a bit of ribbon! Ask all of your pharmacies if they have any little samples at the beauty counter. add them to the little prize bag(s).

My baby shower was a dinosour theme - and I got 2 big bags of dino-sours from costco (I think they are under $6?) and made about 75 thank you bags with cute little dinosaur stickers from the dollar store. Cosctco has great deals on chewy candies! For the kids, I bought one coloring book at the dollar store and divided it up for the kids to color. I'm so glad I returned all the dinosaur themed toys etc from Michaels as it made no difference at all.

so yes, if you come up with your budget, theme (or general vision), and a rough idea of numbers I bet you will get even more great ideas!

Theme considerations:

-do you want it fun and informal
    -just women or both men and women? kids? alcohol or no?
    traditional with all the old school games or more like a cocktail party or casual bbq?
    -is it important to you that you have some kind of show stopper feature - whether it is the cake, or decor, the food, wine selection? or is it low pressure
    Last edited by kimcool; Sun, Feb 13th, 2011 at 02:47 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I don't know about you guys but I think I would want Kim planning and catering my next event!! Great ideas!

Trading Score
    112 (100%)

^ me too
    Win daily prizes worth $150 to $10000 sign up here!! I've won 3x $150 GCs since Jan.2012
    http://www.todaysdraw.com/?invite=5780

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

haha - I just talk too much lol.

I think it is bc I threw my sisters engagement party for 80+ ppl and hosted my own for about the same #'s as well as helped my aunts cater my wedding for 125. The ceremony was at my home and then the reception near by. I also held my own baby shower and I have done things that cost a lot and also that have been on the cheap.

My overall lesson was that simple is best. If you want to have that killer dish or appetizer - bring it when you are the guest lol. Then you can be a rock star. Way too hard to be the host and have all that pressure.

k.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I have a great stuffed mushroom recipe and I always go to Superstore and buy a big bag of the mushrooms at 50% off in those bins. I know a lot of the produce can be sketchy when they clear it out but I find the mushrooms are fine.

Love this advice 'If you want to have that killer dish or appetizer - bring it when you are the guest lol. Then you can be a rock star. Way too hard to be the host and have all that pressure.'

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

mmm stuffed mushrooms. Now I am hungry lol. Maybe you should post that recipe

Saw your post about raspberry gingerale punch. Great idea! Also wanted to mention i picked up a bunch of little heart treat bags at Wal mart today - 50% off = 75 cents each and also some at LD - 70% off (forget the real price but it was cheaper because there were more bags for about the same price).

Also, did you get your glade coupons? I know if you stack them you can get them free this week at LD. Hope you did Sounds like things are coming together nicely!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Ok, here's the link to the stuffed mushrooms recipe I use. And I find it goes a long way!!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...ushrooms-baby/

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I just saw these baby rattle cupcakes! Adorable.

https://lifemadedelicious.ca/en/Vide...-Cupcakes.aspx

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Those are so cute!! I am totally using those!!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Oh good, hopefully you can post pictures!!

Thread Information