User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Canada Wide Deals for People with Special Needs

Smart Canuck...Oh Yeah!!! Koolaid's Avatar
    Trading Score
    145 (100%)

Hi everyone! As a mother of an autistic/fragile x child I realized quickly that places make things easier for us it just took tons of digging and phone calls to find out this information! These discounts make life easier incase of having to leave early (less money to pay), sensory issues, or physical disabilities. I thought I would share what I have learned with you all and if there is anything I have missed please let me know and I will add it!

Outside Canada

Walt Disney World/Disneyland: Visit guest relations once inside a park. Bring proof of the dianosis and you will recieve a guest assistance card. This card will allow that person plus up to 5 others to use alternate entrances (quiet or wheelchair) to most rides, in some cases pass the line or use the fast pass right away! The pass is good for as long as you are visiting.

****Disney has now said that people are hiring people with special needs just to use this pass. Please don't let those who abuse the system wreck it for the rest of us. Please sign the petition here: http://www.change.org/petitions/stop...e-card-program

Inside Canada

The Access 2 Entertainment Card: This card allows you a free caregiver with purchase of a ticket for the special needs person.
    http://www.access2.ca/english.html
    The application is available via the link above. The card is accepted across Canada and does expire after a 5 year period in which it needs to be renewed.

The Access 2 Entertainment Card is accepted at the following cultural venues across Canada.

British Columbia
    H.R. MacMillan Space Centre
    www.spacecentre.ca
    National Geographic IMAX Theatre
    www.imaxvictoria.com
    Pacific Cinémathèque
    www.cinematheque.bc.ca
    Science World
    www.scienceworld.ca
    Vancouver Aquarium
    www.vanaqua.ca

Saskatchewan
    Western Development Museum
    www.wdm.ca.

Ontario
    Art Gallery of Ontario
    www.ago.net
    Casa Loma
    www.casaloma.org
    Chatham Capitol Theatre
    www.chathamcapitoltheatre.com
    CN Tower
    www.cntower.com
    Harbour front Centre
    www.harbourfrontcentre.com
    Lorraine Kimsa Theatre
    www.lktyp.ca
    Metro Toronto Zoo
    www.torontozoo.com
    *the Toronto Zoo also give the person of special needs a 50% discount on top of having a caregiver in for free!!
    National Film Board
    www.nfb.ca
    Ontario Place
    www.ontarioplace.com
    Ontario Science Centre
    www.ontariosciencecentre.ca
    Royal Ontario Museum
    www.rom.on.ca
    St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts
    www.stlc.com
    Ottawa Fat Cats
    www.ottawafatcats.com

Nova Scotia
    Museum of Industry
    www.industry.museum.gov.ns.ca

The Access 2 Entertainment card is currently accepted at the following Canadian theaters (Also this cannot be used in combination with any coupon):

Cineplex Odeon Cinemas
    www.cineplex.com
    AMC Theaters
    www.amctheatres.com
    Cinema City Cinemas
    www.cineplex.com
    Coliseum Cinemas
    www.cineplex.com
    Colossus Cinemas
    www.cineplex.com
    Empire Theatres
    www.empiretheatres.com
    Famous Players Cinemas
    www.cineplex.com
    Galaxy Cinemas
    www.cineplex.com
    Landmark Cinemas
    www.landmarkcinemas.com
    Magic Lantern Cinemas
    www.rainbowcinemas.ca
    Rainbow Cinemas
    www.rainbowcinemas.ca
    Scotiabank Theatre Cinemas
    www.cineplex.com
    SilverCity Cinemas
    www.cineplex.com

Fantasy Fair, Toronto: Mention the disability and get a discounted ticket. Not advertised.
    http://www.fantasyfair.ca/

Marineland, Niagara Falls:
    Rates for a person with disabilities is $24.95 plus tax. Those accompanying the disabled individual pay the general admission price. Anyone can upgrade general admission passes to a Fun Card Season's Pass for $5.00 per person.

Persons with disabilities can also stop by Guest Services to receive a wristband. This will allow them to enter through the exits and, if only with a caregiver, puts them to the front of the line for rides.

However, if a guest with disabilities would like to ride with other family members, the family must join other guests in the queue line and wait their turn. They will be matched up by the ride operator and ride together

Special viewing areas are provided for persons with disabilities at the King Waldorf® Stadium, Aquarium Dome, Friendship Cove® and ArcticTM Cove. Please inquire with our Guest Services staff at these locations. We regret that the lower level of the Aquarium building cannot be made accessible. Most rides are accessible depending on the capabilities of individual guests. Access is often best accommodated through the exits of our rides. Disabled guests must be able to support themselves in a sitting position in order to ride and must meet all height requirements. Please inquire with ride attendants. Marineland staff will provide assistance; however, they are not permitted to lift disabled guests. A companion is welcome to accompany a disabled guest for the purpose of providing assistance. If you require further information or assistance, please stop by Guest Services.

CNE, Toronto: A caregiver gets in free to assist with the person with the disability.

Splashdown Park Discount, Tsawwassen, BC: 'Special needs rate' = $11.80 (discounted from the regular admission price of $20.95) for full day park admission with free admission for caregiver.

Your Local Community Centre: This is unadvertised but I found out by asking. I live in Durham and all public swimming/skating allows a caregiver to get in for free with a person of special needs.

Canada's Wonderland - not advertised but have reduced rate for disability and once in gate, you have to check in at Service desk to gain access pass for person with disability. This means you have reduced wait times to most rides and enter at EXIT doors onto the rides when staff permit you to. UPDATE: This has been reduced to you waiting in the park, not in a quiet area till the time set......there is a petition online you can sign to bring it back!

Via Rail - offer's reduced travel

Geneva Centre for Autism, Toronto: special FREE viewings of movies in theatres

Kerry's Place: Sign up for emails or register directly through your local office. Not only do they provide support they have events at reduced prices. http://www.kerrysplace.org/Public/Home.aspx

Ontario Provincial Parks: If you have a CNIB card or wheelchair parking pass, you can get reduced fee's at Ontario's prov parks for camping (Please see post 12 for pricing!)

Fragile X Research Foundation of Canada: Yearly free BBQ in Toronto (Variety Village) for Fragile X families. Usually posted around May. www.fragilexcanada.ca

Bowmanville Zoo: Not advertised but free caregiver admitted with purchase of entrance of special needs person.

Wyndam hotel
    : http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/po...-rooms/96749/1 Just discovered this new idea....so great! Hope they will put this in more hotels!!

Air Canada: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...attendant.html
    Free flight for caregiver within Canada...please read link for instructions
    Other info:

Registered Disability Savings Program (RDSP)
    If you or child is eligible for the Disability Tax Credit (or CDB), this savings plan is matched by government contributions. It's a good program not everyone realizes that they might qualify.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/rdsp-reei/ctrbtn-eng.html

In Ontario if you have a disabled parking pass you can park on the street in a no-parking zone for up to 4 hours. As long as it doesn't say no-stopping. City Parking meters free for 4 hours.

Dif'rent Drumm online magazine:
    http://difrentdrumm.wordpress.com/ and also like them on facebook here : https://www.facebook.com/DifrentDrumm
    My friend Rosie just started this up and there is lots of inspiring and helpful information....including articles by me!!! Enjoy!
    This thread is currently associated with: Cineplex & Scene Rewards, Empire Theatres, Metro, Toronto Zoo, Via Rail, Aeroplan, Air Canada
    Last edited by Koolaid; Wed, Oct 23rd, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
    Join Swagbucks and save up for Christmas!!! Message me for help! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Koolaid1977

Please help us raise lots of much needed Autism research funds...donate to my son's walk today here:
    http://asca.convio.net/goto/tyler2016

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks so much for all the research you did and for posting and sharing. I know a number of people that I can share this information with and they will really appreciate it.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Thank you for this great information. I work with a lot of individuals who this will benefit. Thanks again.

Trading Score
    38 (90%)

i have used this and it helps my son was able to go to woodbine fantasy island indoor play ground an hour early and they gave me a discount they were awesome when I called and arranged everything. I also went to Quebec city recently omg the friendliest people I told one of the voulunters about my son well he went and got bonum anf bomun got my kid and took him around the ice rink I nearly cried my son never on skated skated also I call before i go to see when the quiet times are.
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Canada's Wonderland - not advertised but have reduced rate for disability and once in gate, you have to check in at Service desk to gain access pass for person with disability. This means you have reduced wait times to most rides and enter at EXIT doors onto the rides when staff permit you to.

I too have 2 children with ASD, epilepsy.

Via Rail - offer's reduced travel

Many, many more reduced fees. I find you have to ask for them. They're not advertised.
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (95%)

Thank you I will defiantly use this information at work
    Happy Holidays

Trading Score
    132 (100%)

Parks and Recreation has some good deals in their seasonal issues for children/persons with disabilities and they also have a fund set up for people who cannot afford to pay for activities.

Every 3 months or so the Geneva Centre for Autism has special FREE viewings of movies in theatres which is a fun night out. There is also a FREE special showing of Gnomeo and Juliette on Feb. 25 at 3 theaters in the GTA for those with Autism and their family members. I'm closest to the one in Mississauga. I'll try to track down the info and put it in the thread.

Don't forget summer camps for children with special needs. Many residential camps do have subsidies available and you can also apply for Respite Services to help pay camp fees.

FREE Holiday events in Toronto for children with Autism:
    The Geneva Centre for Autism Christmas Party (also a family picnic)
    Jake's House Annual Holiday Party

Community Living also has FREE events through the year, ie. picnic
    ticul likes this.

Smart Canuck...Oh Yeah!!! Koolaid's Avatar
    Trading Score
    145 (100%)

Your all very welcome!!! And thanks for the extra info!
    ticul likes this.
    Join Swagbucks and save up for Christmas!!! Message me for help! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Koolaid1977

Please help us raise lots of much needed Autism research funds...donate to my son's walk today here:
    http://asca.convio.net/goto/tyler2016

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

A million thank yous. We have 2 boys with epilipesy, and as well as 1 being autistic. This should help make outings a little more fun
    ticul likes this.
    Hey if you are wanting to earn easy money or prizes,
    http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=2800789

Trading Score
    154 (100%)

Thank you! My daughter had Rubinstien-Taybi Syndrome
    ticul likes this.
    jessekaa

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks so much, I'm passing this along to our friends with a Fragile X boy! They have used the GAC at Disneyworld with great success but I'm not sure they knew about any of the others.
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    154 (100%)

I know if you have a CNIB card or wheelchair parking pass, you can get reduced fee's at Ontario's prov parks for camping

<TABLE class=feestable><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>A - Premium</TD><TD>Base Fee</TD><TD>HST</TD><TD>Total</TD></TR><TR class=regbg><TD>Electrical</TD><TD>Regular</TD><TD>$40.71</TD><TD>$5.29</TD><TD class=totalbg>$46.00</TD></TR><TR class=senbg><TD>Electrical</TD><TD>Ontario Senior</TD><TD>$32.52</TD><TD>$4.23</TD><TD class=totalbg>$36.75</TD></TR><TR class=disbg><TD>Electrical</TD><TD>Ont. Persons with Disabilities</TD><TD>$20.35</TD><TD>$2.65</TD><TD class=totalbg>$23.00</TD></TR><TR class=regbg><TD>Non-electrical</TD><TD>Regular</TD><TD>$35.84</TD><TD>$4.66</TD><TD class=totalbg>$40.50</TD></TR><TR class=senbg><TD>Non-electrical</TD><TD>Ontario Senior</TD><TD>$28.76</TD><TD>$3.74</TD><TD class=totalbg>$32.50</TD></TR><TR class=disbg><TD>Non-electrical</TD><TD>Ont. Persons with Disabilities</TD><TD>$17.92</TD><TD>$2.33</TD><TD class=totalbg>$20.25</TD></TR><TR class=regbg><TD>Non-electrical without showers</TD><TD>Regular</TD><TD>$34.51</TD><TD>$4.49</TD><TD class=totalbg>$39.00</TD></TR><TR class=senbg><TD>Non-electrical without showers</TD><TD>Ontario Senior</TD><TD>$27.65</TD><TD>$3.60</TD><TD class=totalbg>$31.25</TD></TR><TR class=disbg><TD>Non-electrical without showers</TD><TD>Ont. Persons with Disabilities</TD><TD>$17.26</TD><TD>$2.24</TD><TD class=totalbg>$19.50</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>B - Middle</TD><TD>Base Fee</TD><TD>HST</TD><TD>Total</TD></TR><TR class=regbg><TD>Electrical</TD><TD>Regular</TD><TD>$37.39</TD><TD>$4.86</TD><TD class=totalbg>$42.25</TD></TR><TR class=senbg><TD>Electrical</TD><TD>Ontario Senior</TD><TD>$29.87</TD><TD>$3.88</TD><TD class=totalbg>$33.75</TD></TR><TR class=disbg><TD>Electrical</TD><TD>Ont. Persons with Disabilities</TD><TD>$18.58</TD><TD>$2.42</TD><TD class=totalbg>$21.00</TD></TR><TR class=regbg><TD>Non-electrical</TD><TD>Regular</TD><TD>$32.52</TD><TD>$4.23</TD><TD class=totalbg>$36.75</TD></TR><TR class=senbg><TD>Non-electrical</TD><TD>Ontario Senior</TD><TD>$26.11</TD><TD>$3.39</TD><TD class=totalbg>$29.50</TD></TR><TR class=disbg><TD>Non-electrical</TD><TD>Ont. Persons with Disabilities</TD><TD>$16.15</TD><TD>$2.10</TD><TD class=totalbg>$18.25</TD></TR><TR class=regbg><TD>Non-electrical without showers</TD><TD>Regular</TD><TD>$31.19</TD><TD>$4.06</TD><TD class=totalbg>$35.25</TD></TR><TR class=senbg><TD>Non-electrical without showers</TD><TD>Ontario Senior</TD><TD>$25.00</TD><TD>$3.25</TD><TD class=totalbg>$28.25</TD></TR><TR class=disbg><TD>Non-electrical without showers</TD><TD>Ont. Persons with Disabilities</TD><TD>$15.49</TD><TD>$2.01</TD><TD class=totalbg>$17.50</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>C - Low</TD><TD>Base Fee</TD><TD>HST</TD><TD>Total</TD></TR><TR class=regbg><TD>Electrical</TD><TD>Regular</TD><TD>$32.52</TD><TD>$4.23</TD><TD class=totalbg>$36.75</TD></TR><TR class=senbg><TD>Electrical</TD><TD>Ontario Senior</TD><TD>$26.11</TD><TD>$3.39</TD><TD class=totalbg>$29.50</TD></TR><TR class=disbg><TD>Electrical</TD><TD>Ont. Persons with Disabilities</TD><TD>$16.15</TD><TD>$2.10</TD><TD class=totalbg>$18.25</TD></TR><TR class=regbg><TD>Non-electrical</TD><TD>Regular</TD><TD>$27.88</TD><TD>$3.62</TD><TD class=totalbg>$31.50</TD></TR><TR class=senbg><TD>Non-electrical</TD><TD>Ontario Senior</TD><TD>$22.35</TD><TD>$2.90</TD><TD class=totalbg>$25.25</TD></TR><TR class=disbg><TD>Non-electrical</TD><TD>Ont. Persons with Disabilities</TD><TD>$13.94</TD><TD>$1.81</TD><TD class=totalbg>$15.75</TD></TR><TR class=regbg><TD>Non-electrical without showers</TD><TD>Regular</TD><TD>$26.33</TD><TD>$3.42</TD><TD class=totalbg>$29.75</TD></TR><TR class=senbg><TD>Non-electrical without showers</TD><TD>Ontario Senior</TD><TD>$21.02</TD><TD>$2.73</TD><TD class=totalbg>$23.75</TD></TR><TR class=disbg><TD>Non-electrical without showers</TD><TD>Ont. Persons with Disabilities</TD><TD>$13.05</TD><TD>$1.70</TD><TD class=totalbg>$14.75</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

DISCOUNTS
    Q: Does Ontario Parks offer any discounts on park fees?
    A: Ontario Parks offers discounts on day-use and camping fees to Ontario residents over the age of 65 and Ontario residents who possess a CNIB identity card or Ministry of Transportation accessible parking permit. When making a telephone reservation, please advise the call-centre agents of your eligibility for a discount. You will be required to show proof of your eligibility when you arrive at the park.
    Last edited by jessekaa; Mon, Feb 14th, 2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added info
    ticul likes this.
    jessekaa

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for posting! Have a nephew with autism. Although my sister-in-law's pretty sharp with all that stuff, I know she has season passes for all the parks and zoos. . .there might be a few things on there she didn't know about.
    Kudos to all you hard-working caring Moms and Dads out there with special needs children. You're all HEROES!!!
    ticul likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

here is another great one we just signed up for, my son is autistic. kerrys place is a great service as well we get emails from them with lots of events.
    http://www.seetorontonow.com/Media/C...lResponsi.aspx
    ticul likes this.

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Great thread idea Koolaid!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information