User Tag List

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Cashiers are People Too

If there's one thing that I'd pass on to all couponers is that cashiers are people too. They have good days and bad days. Most of them are great people - trying to do their job right. They're worried they'll do it wrong and have a supervisor be unhappy (or worse). Often cashiers have next to no training on coupons so they don't know the ins and outs like we do. It's our passion. It's a small piece of their job.

Of course, there are bad apples in the bunch - ones that are grouchy everyday and would rather not serve anyone, let alone a couponer. [ That said not all couponers are great either - some photocopy coupons, are rude, in a rush, etc etc. If you get to know them, y
    ou'll hear the horror stories cashiers have about couponers.

And then there's the cashiers who have to be the expert/in control -- it's part of how they're wired and probably because they're not super happy at what they're doing or who knows? And they will make up their own coupon interpretations and say it's "this way". No winning directly with this type. Save your breath. You need to now when to hold them and when to fold them. Try another cashier or head to customer service or the manager.

So be kind and especially be calm. If your cashier is looking stressed, reassure them. Say you're in no hurry so they can take all the time they need. If they're looking stressed because a line is long behind you, say something like: "They really should have someone to help on another till when it's busy like this." ($power gave me that line, isn't it great, and she used it last weekend at Shoppers and it worked like a charm. Cashier said "You're right, and phoned for backup" )

Another way to reduce stress is to let the people behind you know --" I'm going to be a few minutes, you'll want to pick a different till." After a while, I find the cashiers will learn to speak up too and say -- I'm going to be 10 minutes here.

Relationships matter a lot. Couponing can be more than saving $$ - it can be fun and a happy time. But checking out can be a downer if things don't go smooth. The fact is you'll probably get to know the cashiers if you shop a lot at some stores and coupon - it takes longer to checkout. So it's an opportunity to get to know them a bit and laugh or joke. At our LD, the cashiers say they love it when the "coupon ladies come in". Why? We make the time go fast, we visit and laugh and are relaxed and we know what we're doing with our coupons -- all organized.

Your Activities

1. Share an experience (good or bad) with a cashier and check out that you had recently.

2. What tips or advice do you have to offer the group? What's worked for you?

And Feedback Please

1. What did you think of the interview format for sharing information?

2. What do you think about posting "2 things" that go together all at once?
    Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Already do swagbucks?try Instagc or pm me for invite codes for Gifthulk.

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

Our Group Members are:

• Murren ??? BC
    • kk008 Burnaby, BC
    • middleclassmom Port Alberni, BC
    • Chimmi Toronto, ON
    • okgirl Vancouver BC
    • BVOGT30 Winnipeg MB
    • fourfurryfeet Barrie ON
    • Orv New Brunswick
    • Me - Giving-Small Saskatoon SK
    was I removed from the group?
    I have been learning some things from this group

sorry I am unable to post much things are just crazy and I am trying to deal with a sick kitty

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giving-Small View Post

This link isn't working for me. But the blog post sounds super interesting

Really looking for diaper coupons for my DIAPER DONATION COLLECTION!!

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

You are a Deal Busting Diva for sure and we love you being part of our here.

Ack -- no idea what happenned - I may have accidentally deleted as I tried to add locations???

Hope your kitten is better soon ... do you know what's wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzeebelle View Post
    Our Group Members are:

was I removed from the group?
    I have been learning some things from this group

sorry I am unable to post much things are just crazy and I am trying to deal with a sick kitty
    Last edited by Giving-Small; Mon, Mar 14th, 2011 at 02:45 AM.
    Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Fixed the link. Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by middleclassmom View Post
    This link isn't working for me. But the blog post sounds super interesting

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giving-Small View Post
    You are a Deal Busting Diva for sure and we love you being part of our here.

Ack -- no idea what happenned - I may have accidentally deleted as I tried to add locations???

Hope your kitten is better soon ... do you know what's wrong?

yay

aww I am not sure she was at the vets and $500 later was told she had a bladder infection and an infected toe...seems all cleared up but my mom said she is not herself (my furr ball but always lived at my mom's) she is having accidents but yet knows exactly where her litter box is

I am making the drive to go get her tommorrow so I can watch her more closely and give her some extra attention....Jezz will not be impressed at having her here but she will have to suck it up until I can figure out what is wrong with my other furr baby.....I hope she is going to be okay

DaneCrazySCNewbie fourfurryfeet's Avatar
    Trading Score
    90 (100%)

First, I have to say...you are ABSOLUTELY right!!!! This is our PASSION it is only their job! That makes a lot of sence and I really hope that statement hit home for everyone cause it makes a very good point!

Your Activities

1. Share an experience (good or bad) with a cashier and check out that you had recently.
    I have always some very amazing luck around Barrie! Mind you, most stores were out of what I wanted but I look at that as "well someone was bright enough to get here before me"! I don't get upset and just find another store to purchase it at! I have had some amazing cashiers and great CS people! I find, that if your friendly they will be too!

I actually do have a tip and it will work for some and may not work for others. I have 2 seperate files one for MY coupons and one for my trade coupies. The ones that are mine that I know I will use, I take a highlighter and highlight the expiry date and the redemption address. I got so tired of holding up a line because the cashier has to circle them and blah blah...so I saved them the work! I'm the one saving the money so why not help out and do some of their work! I actually say to them "I have highlighted the expiry and redemption address for you, just to save you some time" and each one I have said this to has thanked me whole hartedly! I also find, it makes them understand that I'm not there to pull one over on them and I always check my coupies a hundred times just to make sure they are right because I want to know that tomorrow when I go to use them I can since I won't be the one causing trouble with coupons! Because I take some extra time to highlight (yellow only since the p&g ones you can barely read if you do them in green...oops), it seems the cashiers are less stressed! I also ask them do you want the coupons with the items or at the end and they always tell me at the end. I even had one cashier say "your obviously a smart shopper, therefore I will take them at the end that way it's faster for you and me" so everyone has taken to the highlighting very well. I also figure being on a fixed income, I look at this as a way to help contribute to my household! Therefore taking a little extra time to highlight is no problem for me since I look at the savings I am offering myself and my family! However, like I said this will work for some and not work for others!

And Feedback Please

Do you mean the interview? It was AWSOME! I loved it, it was so cool! It was like listening to Coupon Radio!

I don't get it, did I miss the other thing??? I'm confused LOL! It doesn't take much I know...but still LOL!
    What do you mean you didn't use a coupon??????

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

fourfurryfeet - super great points on highlighting expiry dates - it's super helpful for cashiers. Great tips.

Two things -- one was the interview and the other was the short article - I called them Thing 7 and Thing 8 -- so it was a bit more "material" to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by fourfurryfeet View Post
    First, I have to say...you are ABSOLUTELY right!!!! This is our PASSION it is only their job! That makes a lot of sence and I really hope that statement hit home for everyone cause it makes a very good point!

Your Activities

I have always some very amazing luck around Barrie! Mind you, most stores were out of what I wanted but I look at that as "well someone was bright enough to get here before me"! I don't get upset and just find another store to purchase it at! I have had some amazing cashiers and great CS people! I find, that if your friendly they will be too!

I actually do have a tip and it will work for some and may not work for others. I have 2 seperate files one for MY coupons and one for my trade coupies. The ones that are mine that I know I will use, I take a highlighter and highlight the expiry date and the redemption address. I got so tired of holding up a line because the cashier has to circle them and blah blah...so I saved them the work! I'm the one saving the money so why not help out and do some of their work! I actually say to them "I have highlighted the expiry and redemption address for you, just to save you some time" and each one I have said this to has thanked me whole hartedly! I also find, it makes them understand that I'm not there to pull one over on them and I always check my coupies a hundred times just to make sure they are right because I want to know that tomorrow when I go to use them I can since I won't be the one causing trouble with coupons! Because I take some extra time to highlight (yellow only since the p&g ones you can barely read if you do them in green...oops), it seems the cashiers are less stressed! I also ask them do you want the coupons with the items or at the end and they always tell me at the end. I even had one cashier say "your obviously a smart shopper, therefore I will take them at the end that way it's faster for you and me" so everyone has taken to the highlighting very well. I also figure being on a fixed income, I look at this as a way to help contribute to my household! Therefore taking a little extra time to highlight is no problem for me since I look at the savings I am offering myself and my family! However, like I said this will work for some and not work for others!

And Feedback Please

Do you mean the interview? It was AWSOME! I loved it, it was so cool! It was like listening to Coupon Radio!

LOL! I'd love to interview other folks so if you have ideas or an experience to share, I'm happy to phone and do another interview. We're heading into reward cards soon, still need to talk about different types of trains - package, VWT. etc. etc

I don't get it, did I miss the other thing??? I'm confused LOL! It doesn't take much I know...but still LOL!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Just letting everyone know that I received the train today!!!!
    What an amazing train it is too - thank you so much for being a great conductor Giving-Small

I am on my way to the post office right now (it feels like Canada Post took forever to get this to me so I am hoping that sending this out right away will help to speed everything up).

I took out the following: 2x$3, 3x$2, 1x$1.5, 5x$1, 1x$.75, 3x$.50 and 1x$.30 for a total of 16 coupons and $21.05

I put in the following: 1x$4, 1x$3, 3x$2, 2x$1.5, 7x$1, 2x$.75 and 1 MIR for a total of 17 coupons and $24.50

Happy riding everyone!
    Chimmi

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Envie has been sent - the train has left the Toronto station .... choo choo

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    240 (100%)

Just checking in to quickly say my whole family is sick now(coughing/body aches/fever), dropping one at a time...yikes since Wednesday.....so haven't been shopping, on the computer, couponing or anything...gonna be a little while I think. At least I save more money and less stock-piling...I know there are plenty of opportunities galore to come, so not crying over it....lol.
    When I can will get up-to-date hopefully within a week.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

I hope you and your family feel better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by kk008 View Post
    Just checking in to quickly say my whole family is sick now(coughing/body aches/fever), dropping one at a time...yikes since Wednesday.....so haven't been shopping, on the computer, couponing or anything...gonna be a little while I think. At least I save more money and less stock-piling...I know there are plenty of opportunities galore to come, so not crying over it....lol.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kk008 View Post
    that sucks. we were holed up in our house for a week too Hope your house feels better soon!

Really looking for diaper coupons for my DIAPER DONATION COLLECTION!!

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Get better soon - this seems to be a nasty one, whole families sick at one time. Ack.
    The gang will all be here when you and your families are better.

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Awesome update and super quick turn-around on the train. Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by Chimmi View Post
    Envie has been sent - the train has left the Toronto station .... choo choo

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information