User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mandolinatou

Thread: Does anyone ever do their Grocery Shopping in the States?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi, I was wondering if anyone goes cross border Shopping for their Grocerys? And if you find a big Price Difference?
    Also What border do you cross? Would you drive to Cornwall and cross there? Is there a Closer border to Montreal, that has some good Stores to shop at?
    I am really trying to find ways to save Money, and Am wondering if this way of shopping could help.

Thanks for any info you may have.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi,

We are back from a shopping trip in Plattsburgh. I found that the best deals are in the dairy products (cheese and milk section) Here in Quebec a 4L of 1% milk sells for 5,50$ a gallon (3,78 L) sells for 2,79 at WM. so milk is a good buy for me. As for cheese the difference is about 50%. Cabott extra sharp sells for 7,86 for 907g...Here at Costco you can find a similar product for twice the money. I guess if you take some time before leaving to print coupons from coupons.com you can make good deals on cereals also.

That's my experience and we cross the border at Lacolle...never had any issues at the border.

Also a good buy would be cat food...we buy Purina Pro Plan for 31$ at Petsmart in Plattsburgh and the same size sells here for 46$ at Mondou

We stayed for 48 hours and of course the hotel did not account for...We were also in the hunt for a road bike for my oldest son and that turned out to be 350$ cheaper for the same bike from our retailer in Canada. I would not go for a grocery shopping trip but for a large purchase it is all good

Regards

Stephane
    Last edited by spilap; Sun, Mar 6th, 2011 at 06:56 PM.

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I am originally american and while milk, dairy products and age are cheaper they are also not exactly the same. I always bought organic eggs in the states and if you buy quebec eggs its the same quality as US organic eggs. What i mean is the thickness of the shell, yolk, and whites is way different between organic and non-organic eggs in the US for Quebec grown eggs its all the same. I think thats why it is more here. The milk in the US has puss, antibodies, and hormones it in. I won't buy non-organic fresh foods in the states period. The laws are so ridiculously lax. I wouldn't bother with the drive to save a little money on groceries.

While I say this for foods, some things are cheaper and some things have a better supply. I would look into which stores have double coupons in US and consider doing that....i miss double coupon days. Tooth paste, sanitary products and what not can be totally free on double or triple coupon days. So think about that.

Sorry to be a debbie downer.
    Tbites likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    95 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinatou View Post
    The milk in the US has puss, antibodies, and hormones it in. I won't buy non-organic fresh foods in the states period. The laws are so ridiculously lax. I wouldn't bother with the drive to save a little money on groceries.
    I agree with the milk; however, I wouldn't buy non-organic here either - just because of all the antibiotics that have been added!

The only thing better than saving money is VOLLEYBALL!!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just a note that June 1, 2012 is the day when the duty-free limits are undergoing changes. For full guidelines, see the government website at http://www.dutyfreecanada.com/customs-allowances/.

Think of how these changes could make grocery shopping easier! It's just a matter of tagging on some shopping at the end of a trip and becoming familiar with allowable products vs. restricted ones.

In case it's helpful re: saving money: I wrote a blog post tonight with some links to printable coupons sites for US retailers that include grocery items. You might want to try out the links as there's some great coupons and savings on them. One of my favourites is hip2save.com. I really recommend checking that one out. It's pretty comprehensive, well-laid out, regularly updated and easy to use (at least from my perspective).

Hopefully the new policies don't hurt Canadian grocery stores too much.
    I recently wrote an article for my blog myfriendtellsme on ways to save on diapers for baby.

For this and other articles on budgeting, saving and maximizing reward points, please visit. My hope is to help others learn tricks of the trade that have really helped me

Thread Information