User Tag List

View Poll Results: TLC's extreme couponing good or bad?

Voters
413. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change!

37 8.96%
  • Change for the better

48 11.62%
  • Change for the worse

237 57.38%
  • too early to tell

91 22.03%
Page 6 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: TLC Extreme Couponing

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A friend saw a 'preview' of the show and knowing I'm into couponing and often brag about great deals asked if I had seen it. She indicated the segment was about compulsive hoarders-couponers who buy hundreds of dollars worth of 'stuff' for a fraction of the cost. I look forward to seeing the show. Altought I expect viewers will see the savings one can benefit from by using coupons and sales, I have a feeling the show may focus on the extreme cases in which some people truly hoard stuff (in amounts they can't possibly use) simply because it is a great deal/free rather than focusing on the true savings couponing can result in for a family on a day to day basis as well as the ability to obtain items for donations which otherwise the individual/family may not be able to make. I may be wrong but that was the impression I was left with from the decription of the preview my friend mentioned.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Yeah, I worry it may put people off couponing since it will be mostly hoarders, there is nothing wrong with having a healthy stockpile but 40 years TP - really? Go donate some to the foodbank
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I often wonder about striking the right balance between being a hoarder and being an avid couponer, particularly because I am prone to letting clutter (especially paper) pile up - and because I don't have a lot of space in my condo.

For me, the balance is, at least usually, stockpiling dry goods that have very long expiry dates when properly stored (TP, coffee, some cleaning products, etc.) and canned goods that I know I'll use within about a year. But I have to say, I am a sucker for a deal, and will go out and buy a ton of something when I know a friend or family member can use it...whether they have asked for it or not.

LOL...my poor sister doesn't really know what to make of me anymore; sometimes I come through the door with paper towels, sometimes it's special toothpaste, like Sensodyne, that they'd normally pay around $5/tube for, sometimes it's ClingWrap or whatever.

She used to say "Oh, that's great! What do I owe you?" and not believe me when I'd say "Forty cents!" (that was three rolls of SaranWrap, courtesy of my GTA friends who gave me some awesome coupons). For a while, she asked me for receipts because she thought I was trying to subsidize her life and really paying more than I was telling her...so I started bringing them. Now she just says thank you and says she wishes she could deal-hunt the way I do.

Little does she know that I'm a total light-weight compared to the majority of SCers!!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Wish I had satellite or cable. But I live in rabbit-ear land.
    Anyone found out yet if it will be on-line? Youtube?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I also hope it will be on Youtube as well, because I don't have TLC!

Awesome
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugal_gal View Post
    A friend saw a 'preview' of the show and knowing I'm into couponing and often brag about great deals asked if I had seen it. She indicated the segment was about compulsive hoarders-couponers who buy hundreds of dollars worth of 'stuff' for a fraction of the cost. I look forward to seeing the show. Altought I expect viewers will see the savings one can benefit from by using coupons and sales, I have a feeling the show may focus on the extreme cases in which some people truly hoard stuff (in amounts they can't possibly use) simply because it is a great deal/free rather than focusing on the true savings couponing can result in for a family on a day to day basis as well as the ability to obtain items for donations which otherwise the individual/family may not be able to make. I may be wrong but that was the impression I was left with from the decription of the preview my friend mentioned.
    Yes, that's the impression I get too. I watched some previews online & these people are CaaaRAAyyyzzzEEEE. Nathan (from today's episode I believe) has 1,500 deodorants in his stock pile. There's no way he's going to go through those in his lifetime. One woman went dumpster diving with her little kid -- and while she had gloves on, her kid did not. Gross. She said that in order to keep her couponing going, she had to collect 500 coupons per week. And another woman said that she's cancelled dinner plans with friends/family so that she could go shopping for deals.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by blawblaw View Post
    Yes, that's the impression I get too. I watched some previews online & these people are CaaaRAAyyyzzzEEEE. Nathan (from today's episode I believe) has 1,500 deodorants in his stock pile. There's no way he's going to go through those in his lifetime. One woman went dumpster diving with her little kid -- and while she had gloves on, her kid did not. Gross. She said that in order to keep her couponing going, she had to collect 500 coupons per week. And another woman said that she's cancelled dinner plans with friends/family so that she could go shopping for deals.
    Those deodorants will dry out before he uses them then the plastic deodorant container will get brittle.

Trading Score
    61 (100%)

ya those are EXTREME cases for sure! I am new at this and have almost no stock pile but i am working toward on but mainly on more of a pantry not a "stock" per say. i just want a full pantry so i dont have to worry and a big part of it is because my hubby has a seasonal job and is laid off atm and i am panicking a little bit so i want a good amount of stuff but some of these guys are crazy! but the Krazy Coupon ladies seem cool. i watched a bunch of there youtube vids and they do donate and all that fun stuff but i could not believe the amount of coupons she had! she showed A CLOSET full of coupons i was stunned
    ~ SwagBucks ~
    Total Coupon Savings Since Nov.17,2010:$4760.11

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

That amount of toilet paper, without using them, is an invitation for little bugs that get in the paper after time! Similar to bed bugs!

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

Ok I couldn't take the thought of not being able to watch this tonight so i called our cable provider and now I will be able to watch tonight! Cant wait. My family is kinda interested in watching the show afterwards as well. Its about strange addictions ppl have.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

How do we find out if it's on the net to watch? Although it will bum me out seeing as the states can do this much easier lol. I'm just hoping this isn't a bad thing, that all the stores get a rush of ppl couponing and they stop it. Or something to mess it up somehow lol
    LF: $ 4.00 off any covergirl, 2.00 axe,RLF ARMSTRONG cheese, black diamond, 3.00 gain. 2.00 Majesta. Have 5.00 walmart gc.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    And 3,000 rolls of tp isn't so much; a person could stack it against the inner walls, or in the attic, and it would serve as insulation, and cut down on the heating or AC bills. .
    hmmmm...I dont have 3000 rolls, but I also dont have a very big attic.

Trading Score
    252 (100%)

im recording mine thank you kk7
    I really need 8 Dempsters PINS will need until FEB 15 and will trade for G.C $5 your choice where

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
    OMG... who ARE these people?!!! lol

Thanks for the heads up!

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

YAY I am so excited to watch this.

Page 6 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread Information