User Tag List

View Poll Results: TLC's extreme couponing good or bad?

Voters
413. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change!

37 8.96%
  • Change for the better

48 11.62%
  • Change for the worse

237 57.38%
  • too early to tell

91 22.03%
Page 45 of 114 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 95 ... LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: TLC Extreme Couponing

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyC View Post
    I'm still in love with the woman from the first show that aired months ago...the one who teaches others how to save. She just seems so down to earth and practical. She doesn't go to extremes.

The new shows...I wasn't overly impressed. I was horrified at all the stockpiles all over the house...except for the lady with 7 in the family...in that case I bet you need to have stock wherever you can put it. One of the only things I learned from the show is that cream cheese can be frozen...who knew?!?! LOL!
    I saw that episode and love that lady too! I think she is the only couponer that makes sense there. Stucking enough stuff for 10 years just doesn't make sense for me - everything has an expiry day.
    And Kelly C, not only cream cheese, the sliced cheese too.
    I'm a mama of 2 little monkeys, and they are the cutest monkeys of them all! ♥

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Really enjoyed watching this show last night but do these people eat any fresh foods? I didn't see any fruits, veggies, bakery (fresh bread) or meats and i'm not talking about hot dogs or cold cuts! That couple counting all their chip bags, wow is it worth saving money and gaining weight? The majority of the foods are junk! And all that Maalox....blaahhh!!! It also seems like although these shoppers get a couple of hundred worth for under $10, its all of the same products like 40 boxes of pasta, 40 jars of sauce, 20 bottles of gatorade, etc. Its not a regular weekly grocery trip where you get a bit of everything. It seemed more like stockpile shopping.

I really liked that retired nurse who walks everyday to get coupons and how she helped out other people in the stores, bought what she needed, and educated everyone! I wish we also had the store coupon card. They just swiped it and you can see all the money falling off the bill!

Question.....i usually give my coupon right after a cashier scans the item because if i do it all at the end, the cashiers have to reach inside all my bags to make sure the item and coupons match up. How are they allowed to give them all at the end after loading 9 carts of groceries? I know one lady broke her transactions into 18 ones but still! Here i get cashiers who panic when i hand over 3 coupons!

Hope they keep this show around although i'm starting to feel like it boardlines the hoarders show but it really makes me want to coupon more!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Dh and I watched it and although we thought they were all extreme,they did a good job organizing their coupons and shopping together. What was so sad is the cr*p they are eating. Really,boxes of pasta meals,canned soups,chips,soda,no wonder that one gal bought a boat load of maalox.

Margarine and chocolate bars? I spend a lot of time in the US for work and over the last 5-10 years,I've noticed an increase in really big people and kids too. So sad.

Maybe they did buy healthy stuff,and it wasn't shown on the shows. Fish,Seafood,meat,eggs,veggies and fruit...all missing for the most part.

Banned
    Trading Score
    38 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sueshe View Post
    Dh and I watched it and although we thought they were all extreme,they did a good job organizing their coupons and shopping together. What was so sad is the cr*p they are eating. Really,boxes of pasta meals,canned soups,chips,soda,no wonder that one gal bought a boat load of maalox.

Margarine and chocolate bars? I spend a lot of time in the US for work and over the last 5-10 years,I've noticed an increase in really big people and kids too. So sad.

Maybe they did buy healthy stuff,and it wasn't shown on the shows. Fish,Seafood,meat,eggs,veggies and fruit...all missing for the most part.
    I agree...counting bags and bags of chips and talking about buying 40 bottles of soda just about made me sick. How about the lady early on in the first program (the older program) who was so red and sweaty in the face...I thought she was going to have a heart attack at the register! Just so unhealthy.

But on the other end of the spectrum were the "super Moms" who looked very healthy and they seemed to be doing a great job of caring for their families. I bet they wouldn't buy 5000 chocolate bars just because they were free!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kazm-l View Post
    I tell you those women stressed me out just watching them...i sure don't think i could ever work myself up to buying that much stuff and wandering around with $40,000 worth of coupons.
    And i for one would find it really odd to be watched doing my grocery...and then applauded
    One thing i did love is the fact there wasn't a queue for the cashier and seems like no-one else really in the store...AND no problems from the cashier
    They were probably only applauding because they knew the television cameras were there.The extreme couponers on the show said it adds to their quality of life but they looked so stressed at the registers but I guess it could be because it was on tv.The lady that had 35 Maalox is rather nuts thinks about coupons 24 hours a day and will shop at all hours just so she doesn't miss out on a deal.There is always another deal why stress about it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    197 (100%)

I found there was not a lot of variety except for the retired nurse one...It's funny how they all seemed to shop at Safeway.
    Vous parlez français? Venez nous visiter sur www.rabaisextreme.ca!

PamperedChefgirl
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

some do....

want to trade? check my trade list!

I'm looking for facial tissues, natural laundry detergent, natracare pads/pantiliners, toilet paper, cheese, Dempster's bread, Country Harvest bread, etc.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I had to laugh that its part saving $$$ and part hording - i enjoy the ladies with the large families and that the family getts together to help.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i liked the husbands comment that if there was a zombie Apocalypse tomorrow they'd be set for the next two years
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    i liked the husbands comment that if there was a zombie Apocalypse tomorrow they'd be set for the next two years
    OMG i can't believe i will even admit this but when i first came on SC and saw people's title's "shelter stash" i thought it was for all the crazy people getting ready for what they think will happen in 2012!

Did you see the girl who bought two sticks/tubs of butter just because she will save $1 on her next shopping trip?? Unless you got the butter for free or pennies and need it, is it necessary to spend money in order to "save" money next time???

I thought the applauding workers was sooooo cheesy! I'm very discreet with my coupons, no shoebox in the store for me LOL

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I loved watching the shows. My mom has those cool shelves and is FINALLY teaching me about food storage. I went shopping with her last night. Did you know you can freeze butter??? AND MILK???

Here are my two fav sites.

http://www.stilltasty.com This gives me ideas when planning my trip about shelf life and how long things can be frozen.

http://www.shelfreliance.com/food-rotation-systems
    This is where she orders her shelves from. I am still trying to pick ones that will fit into my teenie apartment.

Hope this helps some of you! it sure helped me!

* I hope this doesnt come across like an ad, I just saw these on the show and thought some people might want to know where they came from.
    Last edited by snowbride78; Thu, Apr 7th, 2011 at 04:21 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

My husband watched it with me last night and said : I was starting to worry about your shopping obsession, but now I feel better LOL
    I only have one and a half cupboard full of stuff
    Learn to use Swagbucks - easy - HERE
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Midnightly, someone who has 200 years worth of deodorants, would be a hoarder as well, even without dead animals and mildew

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    -2 (0%)

they bought alot of product that they might not need or had to pay extra for mustard and antacid but I think they had to get to certain totals to get the full value for the coupons if 2 coupons were 10.00 and the products came to 9.00 they got to put the rest towards the other purchases they paid almost nothing for the stuff they got,they knew to get the stuff they really needed, if they don't need certain items I would guess they would donate them to someone who wants/needs them,great show.
    Last edited by glenglen; Thu, Apr 7th, 2011 at 06:17 PM.

Page 45 of 114 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 95 ... LastLast

Thread Information