User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Employee Discount?

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_April View Post
    Those are some pretty lame discounts, way to boost employee moral!

hey it could be worse.. home depot.. no employee discount!
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

^ Ahaha, I was going to say... I had a friend who works there and he jokes with customers when they ask if they could apply an employee discount.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

The mark up for fast food must be ridiculously high as the employee discount is pretty darn good. Free coffee and pop(MacDonalds) while on shift 1/2 price meals if not more depending upon what manager is on duty at the time.(Tim Hortons)has free coffee and donuts while on duty. Not sure what the other discount is but it's pretty good too.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof3heathens View Post
    The mark up for fast food must be ridiculously high as the employee discount is pretty darn good. Free coffee and pop(MacDonalds) while on shift 1/2 price meals if not more depending upon what manager is on duty at the time.(Tim Hortons)has free coffee and donuts while on duty. Not sure what the other discount is but it's pretty good too.
    It is, most fast food and chain restaurants make most of their money on selling pop and french fries.

They way I see it, the more one would normally spend at a store, the lower the discount. So Loblaws/RCSS has 10% off (with exceptions), but employees are more likely to spend there regardless.

Clothing stores need to offer some form of a good discount, since, well the employees are expected to buy the clothes, and wear them on shift.

I work at a pet store, we get 30% off the store's pet food brand, 20% off supplies and all other holistic pet foods, and no discount on the commercial brands.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Yeah, fast food is marked up pretty high.
    DH works at McDonald's, free drinks the entire shift, and used to be as much 1/2 price food as you want during a shift, but this month his store has changed it to 1 1/2 price meal per shift.
    But he also gets a 50% discount Platinum card that he can use at any McDonald's for 1 meal and 1 dessert. So that's what we have on Friday's after shopping, lol.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Free coffee and donuts at Tim's while on duty? But they fire you if you give a crying child a timbit??

Shwa Girl likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    32 (100%)

At Rexall you can! I use my sisters discount with coupons all the time. Plus during 50 airmile bonus events I can get the bonus airmiles. However, my price before coupons has to be after the discount. It's a pretty good discount compared to other places.

Interesting to know.

Will these stores allow coupon use with the discount?
    Shwa Girl likes this.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    hey it could be worse.. home depot.. no employee discount!

They get paid more though
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mamaelmo View Post
    Zellers now u have to get a credit card to get the employee discount, so its not saving ya money with 13 % intrest on the card, my best friend worked there
    13% interest? I WISH! I have an HBC credit card for my employee discount, and the interest rate is 29%!!!!

I use it only to get my discount, and pay it off as soon as my purchase has been paid for so I don't accrue as much interest...
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Loblaws employees get 10% off with the employee card. Milk and eggs are not discounted.
    Students working at Loblaws, who go to university, have their employee cards frozen, until they return to work and work a set number of weeks. Then they are unfrozen.
    Student employees can give their parents the 10% discount if they present their card at the time their parents are checking out.

Loblaws employees getting the discount at another store that is not their parent store, must show photo identification.

Coupons can be used in addition to the discounts.

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    well sobeys employees get nothing at all!!! apparently there used to be a discount... but some bad apples spoiled it for everyone else.... but that was before I started working there.....

Aww - a pox on the bad apples!! >:-(

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    The interest rate matters not if you pay it off! The Visa I have right now is over 19%, but we've never paid a cent in interest but have gotten lots of benefits.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. But I see where they come from too. Grocery stores especially are pricing things VERY close to cost to remain competitive these days. It's always been the way it's been, grocery stores work close to cost. To give employee discounts now often means selling things below cost to staff. If the discount is good, they're losing money. This is especially true when people buy things for their friends and family, not just themselves.

I'm not defending big business, I don't work for them. But I know the costs of things are going up, and grocery stores especially need to trim to make money. Employee discounts would be the first to be trimmed or gone altogether. I worked for grocery stores for some years in the past, never got a discount.

Zonny which Visa do you have? I have the CIBC cashback, and there are not very many benefits other than no fee for the card. I want one in which the travel insurance etc would be covered, but those sort of things all have fees. I HATE paying credit card companies ANYTHING. Yes, and I do pay off my card on the due date so that I don't have to pay interest on it.....
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by miztia View Post
    I believe shoppers gets 30%, but they cant collect the points if they choose the discount. Its either one or the other, according to a friend that works there.
    You get 30% off and you can still collect points except for the 20x the points events.

Tims doesn't give free coffee and donuts while on duty. They get a 10% discount on or off duty.

Quote Originally Posted by KK7 View Post
    They get paid more though
    My friend works at home depot, has for 4 years and has only got the minimum raises. He barely makes more than min wage right now after 4 years of working there. His friends all make roughly the same.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than You." - Dr. Seuss

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    Zellers/The Bay/Home Outfitters is 10%, and it can't be combined with any other discount. Eg. Student discount card, customer appreciation etc. It also isn't off of everything, there were certain exclusions.
    Actually, it can be combined with any discount you want (ie: 10% off coupons, friends and family, etc...) since the discount is taken off from your HBC credit card (which you must use in order to receive your employee discount). There are exclusions, but they are very minimal.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Tims doesn't give free coffee and donuts while on duty. They get a 10% discount on or off duty.
    Tim's sells franchises so it depends on the owner. When I worked there in university a few years ago, we got free coffee/steeped tea, donuts, timbits, and our break was 1/2 price. I can't remember what discount we got when we weren't working (I usually didn't go) but I'm guessing it was 25% to 50%.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information