User Tag List

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'm just starting to really apply myself to coupon use. The issue I'm having is I am not entirely sure what the "best" price is for some of these brand products. I have always watched sales and bought the best value often using store brands. To optimize the coupons obviously have to wait for a great sale then use them. I am wondering if everyone is interested in sharing their price book or mental "best price" for common items. I used to keep a price book but it's been years since I kept it up.

I tend to be more of a "staples" shopper but since I went to work full-time and my husband is between jobs I have to both save time shopping while still saving money so I do occasionally buy some convenience products lately. Especially for the kids' lunches. My husband is not a shopper unless the list is extremely detailed and I don't see him EVER working with my coupons LOL He packs lunches so I try to make it a bit easier for him to pack the kids a healthy lunch. I'm working overtime as much as I can till we get through this challenge so time is pretty tight I'm having trouble getting to various stores before deals end etc.

So it is up to me do the price hunting and shopping and meals etc. and I'd be faster at it if I had a clue what a great price is on things like toilet paper, paper towels, and even items that don't coupon much like flour, sugar, milk etc.

We could perhaps start a sticky thread and add to it. Like I said I'm new to this site but with some help this could help us all save

G
    This thread is currently associated with: Staples
    Last edited by jujubetwins; Sun, Apr 10th, 2011 at 12:19 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I've been meaning to do this for awhile, but with three young kids, it hasn't happened. I'll be watching this thread with interest though.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I am going to search some more on the main "deals" board because I saw a thread there for "best price on toilet paper" so maybe we can borrow some from there though not sure how true the prices are to us here in the West. It's a place to start. I'll have to pick at it a bit and hopefully others can pitch in. I don't know much about how the wiki thread works but I did set this up as one. I'm guessing that means others can add to the first post but I could be way off base!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

what a great idea...this is my problem too. i have no clue what is a good deal and what isnt.

Trading Score
    63 (100%)

I love the idea !!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

heres the first tip - i was told that toilet paper is a good deal if you can get it for $4 and under. im just not sure how many rolls?! sorry guess its not that much help

milk is also cheap if its under $4. i think right now superstore carries it for $4.19 or something. sometimes shoppers has it on sale for $3.99 but i havent seen this price in weeks.

the dr. oetker pizza's are usually just under $7 but they seem to go on sale quite often right now - usually as low as $3.49. theyre really tasty

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I really like Activia Yogurt but I never buy unless it's under $3...reg price is $4+ but it is regularly on sale at SDM, Pricesmart, No frills and Superstore for $2.99

There is a toilet paper thread on another page but if it's East coast it could be pitching low. I'll grab the info from it.

Lean Ground beef $1.99 and under is a good price

Milk anything under $4.20 is good at the moment, have not found under $4 in last month or so

One things I find for comparing prices is to break it down to price per/mL etc. for toilet paper maybe price per roll or sheet is best..but then there is soft nice stuff and sandpaper! LOL I'll get the info from the other thread.

This may take me a while to get to, I'm working more than full time but I will pick at it and I hope others will contribute too. I am doing more flyer reading so that will help get some prices too.

Oh and this is a wiki thread so I think anyone can post to the top thread but I'm still figuring this out myself! Work in progress!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    62 (100%)

I've been wanting to do this as well. I have been planning on making a list of regular items we purchase along with the regular price. Then when I see it advertised I can look at my list and see if it's a good deal.

I will follow along and definitely try to add what I can.

<div style="color: red;">Crazy Couponer</div> RoseGentry's Avatar
    Trading Score
    68 (91%)

this is such a good idea! I never know if it is actually a "good" deal. I will start keeping track as well and will add when I can!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Maybe we can start with a general list of items and fill in prices as we get them. My main interest in food and basics but add whatever you buy most. I never used to use packaged items for school lunches but with my husband packing now I have to keep it simple for him!

I'll try to figure out how to move it to the top and make it prettier later!

Here is the toilet paper thread but it's old. Maybe we can use the info and update the prices

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/69184-o...5-24-a-canada/

Milk $4.19
    Whole grain slice bread
    Yogurt (bulk) $2.99
    Yogurt cups
    Granola bars/snack bars $1.99/5bars

tbc....
    Last edited by jujubetwins; Thu, Apr 14th, 2011 at 07:13 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

someone told me once that if you can get toilet paper at 40cents or less a roll it's a good deal.

Thread Information