User Tag List

Actually Jeff's gf, P :)
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

So tonight I went to Safeway in Callingwood to pick up the deal they had for Tylenol rapid release for $8.99 and to use the $4.00 off printable coupon.

They would not except it because it looked photocopied and the value of the coupon was too high; what a downer when your just starting out.

Any tips?
    This thread is currently associated with: Safeway

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I'm new as well.

I always print in colour.

You can try taking a Safeway flyer and the coupon to LD to get a price match.

I used my 4.00 off coupon at LD.

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Yeah I was going to try that at Walmart.

EdmontonSaver EdmontonChristine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    35 (100%)

Don't be discouraged Jeff, once you gain more experience you will know all the rules and many more of the individual store policies. In the beginning of my couponing I encountered this very same situation with a printable coupon and could not for the life of me figure out why the stores would not accept it. For one If I don't know what I am doing or the policies and they don't either that makes it even more frustrating, so I learned as much as I could so when I encountered this I could politely tell them how to use these coupons. Also I have learned printing in color makes a huge difference as to if they will accept them. Lastly I have heard that stores prefer that the coupons have bar codes as well. London drugs will not accept printables that are over $3 (some cashiers make exceptions), and let you only use one at a time.

Also once you start building a collection of coupons (over time) you will be able to get most items free or close to it So its all a learning curve at the beginning.

Practice makes perfect!

Trading Score
    108 (100%)

Most LD will not PM to the club prices at Safeway or Save-on. Some managers make exceptions if their is a Safeway or Saveon in the same parking lot. I used the printable one your speaking of in this way at LD:

Save $3.00 on Tylenol Back Pain 18 count (printed off the internet)
    Save $2.00 on Tylenol Back Pain 18 Count (printed off the internet – the LD on Stoney Plain said they would take up to $5.00 worth of internet coupons but it depends on the cashier. The email I got from LD on their coupon policy they would take 1 per visit.)
    Save $3.00 on Tylenol Back Pain 18’s and 40s (from Save.ca)
    Save $4.00 wyb any 2 Tylenol Products (from Save.ca)
    Save $2.00 on Tylenol Muscle Aches & Body (from Save.ca)
    Save $2.00 wyb any one product brand displayed (emailed a request to Johnson & Johnson, you can request coupons once a month)
    Works out to Save $16 when you buy Tylenol Back Pain 18 Count and Tylenol Muscle Aches and Body.

I priced matched both bottles from Walmart a few weeks back and got both bottles for $1!

Quote Originally Posted by frugalkitty View Post
    I'm new as well.

I always print in colour.

You can try taking a Safeway flyer and the coupon to LD to get a price match.

I used my 4.00 off coupon at LD.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'd be discourage too Jeff, it was probably just the cashier. Try again another day or with another cashier.

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

The Callingwood Safeway has some of the worst people as staff in all of Edmonton. (there are also some VERY nice people, but I have heard from them that they are all not treated well by management and most of them are unhappy) I have boycotted that particular Safeway, and in fact, I do not shop at any Safeway any more. Prefer Sobeys or even Save on Foods or Superstore.

Plus, with SDM carrying groceries now, who needs rude cashiers and staff?

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Thanks everyone for the posts, When I got home I read the Safeway policy and it states they do except printed scanable interent coupons.

This particular cashier didn't even attempt to try and scan it. I figure next time something like this happens I will just wait for the cashier to retrieve a store copy of the policy

Trading Score
    123 (98%)

Unfortunately even though the policies state they have to have a scannable bar code, no store I have been to has ever scanned. They manually input them into the till. You can always go to the customer service desk with the coupon in question and try there. Usually customer service desks are more informed with coupon practices and policies.
    I am currently grossly behind on ratings... I promise to catch up asap...life has just become super duper crazy!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

As a Safeway employee (& a regular SC'er, too), I feel bad that you had a negative experience. As for the coupon policy, out west, we are not able to accept printable (too many dishonest people making their own coupons & I would assume it is the same across the company), but as far as the amount being too high, that is ridiculous. I have never heard that policy. I would certainly email the head office or even talk to the store manager about it. In the meantime, PM'ing at LD sounds like a good idea!
    Earn free rewards just by searching...click on link to join!!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/AustinsMomma79

Thread Information