User Tag List

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Never feed the trolls. DNFTT

Trolls visit lots of message boards and their goal pure and simple is to disrupt.

What's a troll?

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion." (wikipedia)

Here's a few excerpts from an interview with Andrew Heenan, and his site www.flayme.com/troll. about trolls posted on lefora labs blog.

Your site reveals an interesting fact, that the term ‘troll’ does *not* in fact come from slimy creatures living under bridges – so where did it come from?

The anglers among your readers will know that trolling is the art of trailing a bait, hoping that a fish will bite; for the internet troll, it’s all about the response. Just as many anglers will put the fish back after the catch, so the Internet troll has no real interest in the issues being discussed; they are simply entertaining themselves by causing frustration in others. It’s about power – trolls create the illusion of power by manipulating others
    Why trolls are so difficult to spot/control?

Well they can look "innocuous" at first. And once you nibble on the bait they real you in and your emotions kick in.

Try telling someone to NOT post about an attack or offensive remark or rudeness .... it can ruin a thread and damage a forum.

What are some steps to get rid of a troll?

The most effective method of troll management is ‘Don’t Feed The Troll’; if it does not get a response, it will move off and try elsewhere; any response is validation of its sad existence, so should be avoided. But we’ve all been taken in; the skilled troll may start with a question or comment that may seem odd, but is not rude, wrong or particularly inappropriate. Once it has you hooked, then it attempts to manipulate you into anger or humiliation. One of the most effective troll tricks is to cause group members to disagree – often ‘planting’ a new member to defend them, with a plea to members to ‘give him another chance’. The resulting dispute allows the troll to leave the members fighting, with no further effort required. [my emphasis]
    Read more about trolls and how mods/admins keep our community safe by taking care of them.

How can we help keep Smart Canucks on track and good place for conversation?

Well we can DNFTT. And there's a special icon beside each post near the rep button.

Use the button to "spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts. "

Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Already do swagbucks?try Instagc or pm me for invite codes for Gifthulk.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

awesome info on both trolls and tracking! thanks agian!! im gonna spend sometime and get that tracking this going, i keep meening too and kept putting it off, but i have 6 days off after tomorrow, so that will be something i will dooo!!! and good about the trolls, but i already figured that little red triangle out a bit ago...
    im wonder if u can help explain coupon overage??? thanks!! how do i vote for u memeber of the month giving small!?!?!?!?!?!!

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Coupon Overage

Until recently almost all stores would not take a coupon that exceeded the price of the item or would "round down". So if the item was $1.59 and your coupon was for $2 either they would not take it OR they would round it down to $1.58.

Some couponers thought it ought to be the other way. Why? The store gets reimbursed for $2 for a $2 coupon.

There were always some cashiers, some stores, some times where people got the overage but it wasn't very common.

Then Walmart changed their policy so you could get the overage. So in the case above the $0.52 remaining could be used to pay for other groceries OR you could get it as cash back, change.

So some SCers are buying lots of products where the coupons exceed the product amount in order to buy other stuff with the overage (so free milk for example). Others are doing the same thing but asking for the cash back.

Member of the Month

I don't think they do this but thanks for the nice thought.

Quote Originally Posted by EJEJ View Post
    im wonder if u can help explain coupon overage??? thanks!! how do i vote for u memeber of the month giving small!?!?!?!?!?!!
    Extra cash here - earn by searching/watching videos/doing offers on swagbucks - it's a legit site and pays reliably.

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Toot toot - working on the train today. Decided to take the risk with Canada Post. Crossing fingers and toes.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Great to hear about the train, yep I have a bunch of trades in the mail, hoping nom strike will slow them down!
    Savings since coupon mania began on February 11, 2011=$3592.72

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

ok.... this is a terrible question i know, this is like grade 7 math or something... but i've always been terrible with math... but was the formula to figure out the % of my savings??? for 1 example:
    i saved 16.49$
    spent 22.36
    actualy price would've been 39.75

thanks!

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

The train left the station for NicoleLJ in Medicine Hat, AB.

I hope that Canada Post doesn't strike or knock on wood it makes it to Nicole at least.

I have to double check the order but I think it's:

1. NicoleLJ
    2. jujubetwins
    3. Meadea
    4. EJEJ
    5. HouseholdSaver
    6. Giving-Small

This is still an ordinary in-out train. Replace what you take with similar value and usefulness. No crapalicious coupons.

Bonus

I checked your wishlists and put little packages for each of you with some of your wishlist items. Each package has the name written on it.
    Last edited by Giving-Small; Wed, Jun 1st, 2011 at 01:48 AM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Great! Thank you! I hope the strike doesn't materialize or is shortlived. If it makes it to one rider to wait it out would be best.

Couponing/Honesty do mix
    Trading Score
    123 (97%)

fingers crossed. I will keep my eyes open for it.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Hi everyone. I haven't been on here in FOREVER and I missed the coupon train. My bad! I've returned to work from mat leave so life has been very crazy. I've now managed to read through everything. Great info to everyone and thank you Darlene for all of the work you've put into this. I'm hoping to find some time soon to get to the activities and stay caught up. Sorry for my lack of participation. I'll try to be better.

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Andrea - just pm me your address and we'll squeeze you on the train. You may have to ride in the baggage car .. just kidding.

Just do what you can. Working and home life is a big balancing act. Put your feet up and rest when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by andreald1969 View Post
    Hi everyone. I haven't been on here in FOREVER and I missed the coupon train. My bad! I've returned to work from mat leave so life has been very crazy. I've now managed to read through everything. Great info to everyone and thank you Darlene for all of the work you've put into this. I'm hoping to find some time soon to get to the activities and stay caught up. Sorry for my lack of participation. I'll try to be better.

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

What does "bump" mean?

Threads are listed in reverse chronological order based on the last update.

So if you post your trading list today and then 50 more people post or update theirs by adding a new comment, your post moves down and down.

So you go to your post, hit reply button and put the word "Bump" which means bump up to the top again. This makes your post/thread look "new" again.

There's some etiquette rules about how often to bump - obviously doing it every 5 min, is just rude.

SC guidelines for bumping and trading posting are:

Limit 3 posts per trader and the discussion seems to indicate that it's good manners to bump up to twice per day only. Here's the thread: **ATTENTION TRADERS** Please Limit Your Trade Threads to THREE Max.

Occasionally bumping and the number of threads gets out of hand. The result people get annoyed and moderators (who keep this community a great place) step up to help achieve some balance for us all.

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

After a few hiccups here and there, I think I'm back on track and making more slideshows and activities.

Thanks everyone for being so patient with me.

The next slide show will probably contain information you know about Shoppers already if you have been tracking the Shoppers discussions and/or read the FAQ.

To present the Shoppers program, I interviewed an experienced optimum fan, Kim. Thanks Kim! I also added some slides -- we talked about calculating the value of points and that's easier to grasp if you can read and hear it.

Kim shared some of the ways she maximized the points that she gets at Shoppers.

Hopefully there will be a tidbit or two that's new to you. Part 2 hopefully will have something new for everyone.

Listen to interview and view slideshow.

Note: A couple of people couldn't hear the other interviews/shows, so I made this one louder.
    Last edited by Giving-Small; Mon, Jun 6th, 2011 at 10:48 PM.

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

Activities and Discussion

1. Do you use your Shoppers card (if you have one regularly)?

2. Do you use any of the strategies Kim described to earn points faster?

3. On a scale from 1 to 10, how much do you like the Shoppers reward program?

Trading Score
    346 (100%)

This is from one of the posts on how to use Smart Canucks.

Post #14 Candies Explained

Note: Candies may have changed a bit since this was written.

"Candies are like a points system for the board.
    You earn candies for creating threads and replying to posts.

As they collect you can purchase items in Candy Land."

To learn more about candies and other symbols under your name, check the SC Site Overview. SITE OVER VIEW -- and -- LEARNING TO SEARCH ( 1 2 3 )

Post #8 - Icons Explained is very helpful

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information