User Tag List

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So I usually refill my ink cartridges, but I have had the same ones for years now and figuered it was time to replace them. I went to Walmart and priced them out, worked out to 58 bucks. That sux, but whatever, I need them. Then I noticed I could buy a HP Deskjet 1000 for only 20 bucks, and yes, it comes with ink cartridges. Needless to say I got the new printer. Now there is no point donateing the old printer, because nobody would ever buy it from Salvation Army so it will go in the garbadge. Isn't that crazy???
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

The reason is no matter what anyone says is that the ink that comes with the printer is NOT a full cartridge. When you buy a replacement cartridge you are getting way more ink. The ones that come with the printer do not last very long at all...

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Yep! and sadly dh has done that before too.
    We donate them still.....
    Come on -Join me ! Get Points, get Free stuff

http://www.gifthulk.com/refer/kazm-l
    And if you need a link for Zoombucks or Irazoo ....let me know!!

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

that is true, the ink that comes with the new printers is only a sample cartridge and is never more than 1/4 to 1/3 full. That being said, I did purchase a new cannon printer last year, and it specifically said on the box that it came with the sample cartridges AND 2 free cartridges for ink...I was jumping with joy! I have found that the most reasonable place to purchase printer inks is usually Costco.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    -2 (0%)

we went to walmart a few weeks ago to buy a new printer decided not to for now like you said the ink is way to high!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    49 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Theorox View Post
    So I usually refill my ink cartridges, but I have had the same ones for years now and figuered it was time to replace them. I went to Walmart and priced them out, worked out to 58 bucks. That sux, but whatever, I need them. Then I noticed I could buy a HP Deskjet 1000 for only 20 bucks, and yes, it comes with ink cartridges. Needless to say I got the new printer. Now there is no point donateing the old printer, because nobody would ever buy it from Salvation Army so it will go in the garbadge. Isn't that crazy???
    I personally would donate to the Salvation Army reason being some ppl have ink but no printer,,, like my sister... you just never know

Karen
    Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Yup. DH used to sell office supplies and it drove him CRAZY how manufacturers do that. Lexmark is the worst for it - $100 to replace a set of ink, but dirt-cheap printers. The money is made in the ink, not in the hardware.

If you want to save some money, get yourself a refilling kit - it's a bit of time but saves a small fortune over time. (The exception is if you print a lot of quality photos - sometimes the colors don't quite match.) Or there are printer adapters for some models that will let you run the printer off bottles of ink instead of bitty cartridges.

The other thing that used to really get him is the people who would go to Staples for the great deal on a printer and then get sucked into paying $25.00 for a $5.00 printer cable....
    Last edited by khipson; Thu, May 26th, 2011 at 10:46 PM.
    Always looking for reasonably healthy food coupons, non-dairy products, and friendly cleaners (esp Method brand).

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

I have a few 'Bic' printers. They were so cheap it was worth it only to use the initial ink and then get another. I have a beautiful hand-me-down Canon MP530 now that came with spare inks as well. Those will get replaced, this printer is not disposable.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Refilling your own ink cartridges is a great money saver. I got a kit from Walmart - it said to drill a hole but I already researched online my cartridge and just lifted the label carefully then filled through the pre-existing hole. Worked like a charm!

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

Ink jet island is also very cheap.. we've always gone to them.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

We actually just replaced our printer, and it was a great deal!
    Our old one left a black mark in the center of whatever we scanned, so it wasn't too good, anyway.
    We got an HP 3-in-1 and it only cost $39.95. The ink alone for our old printer was $50, and that's an on-sale double pack. It's usually closer to $70.
    Whereas the ink for this one is only $20. Muuuuch better deal.

Trading Score
    98 (100%)

I bought the same printer about 4 months ago for 20 bucks and I am still not out of ink so I am not sure it's true about all printers coming with only a bit of ink in them. Just my opinion but it was a way better deal than buying new ink cartridges Happy printing!!!!!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I agree with you. The printer ink can be soooo expensive.

I usually scope out sales on my printer ink at RCSS (where I've found the best deal) and use my PC points to pay for the ink that is on sale, making me feel better that it's "free" - kinda.

Thread Information