User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hello everyone: Wasn't sure where to post this but I consider it a Health Issue, so I thought here was a good place. My husband had been complaining of being itchy in the morning for some time now and I didn't seem to be having the same problem, so just thought it might be winter's dry skin itch. Well about a week ago he woke me up at four o'clock in the morning and said. "We have bed bugs". I nearly jumped out of my skin. He had killed one on his arm (full of blood) when he got up to go to the bathroom. We never went back to sleep the rest of the night, and I went on a bed checking bee first thing the next morning. I never found any evidence of more except for a dead bug between the box spring and mattress. We have no idea how we got them. We haven't traveled anywhere this winter. I have been on the internet searching out about them and they say when you see one, there are at least a hundred more. Scary thought. I went out and bought a bed bug cover for the Box spring and mattress. Washed the mattress with disinfectant and vacuumed the box spring and mattress. I didn't see any baby ones or eggs, but it just creeps me out. We moved to another bedroom but they say they will just follow you. I could use help if anyone has any other ideas as to make sure I got this under control. Washed all bedding, Pillows put in Freezer for days after washing and drying in high heat. Protective covers on all pillows and bedding that I could cover. (Feather topper) etc. Please any advice on more ways would be appreciated. This is a big time first for us.
    This thread is currently associated with: Spring Shoes

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Sorry you are experiencing this right now but are you certain that they are bed bugs? Fleas and Ticks will also feed and gorge themselves on blood just as bed bugs will and can both be picked up outside, even in this cold weather so I'd make sure it's a bed bug you are dealing with.

I've never had bedbugs but I have heard that when there is one there are many and they will hide in your baseboards, along molding, nooks of your mattress, etc. And their bite is suppose to look like a red welt on wherever they bite you. What does the bite look like that's on your Husband?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not bed bugs but the neighbours in my building have cockroaches! ewww I am petrified that they're going to come in here.
    "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than You." - Dr. Seuss

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Honestly, if your in an apt they must of came from somewhere else. I would notifiy the owner/super of the building and call in the professionals.

I know my sister had roaches when she moved into her place and she complained and the super paid for all units to be done since she had moved into an exsisting problem.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

They're a huge problem in the City of Toronto - the thing to remember about bedbugs is that they're travellers - you can pick them up literally ANYWHERE, they'll come with you from the movies, a restaurant, you name it.

Bedbugs (unlike cockroaches) have absolutely nothing to do with the cleanliness of your home - all they want is a nice, warmblooded host and they'll live anywhere, clean or dirty.

We had a presentation at our condo AGM about them, they freak me right out too. So far it sounds like you've done all the right stuff.

The Orkin guy (or whoever he was) said that:

- Rubbing alcohol will kill them, and their eggs, on contact.

- Vacuuming will make you feel better and tidy things up, but even a cyclonic vacuum won't get all the eggs off of stuff, they're that adhesive (when they told me that I almost puked).

- Go get a spray bottle from the dollar store, make sure you clearly label it as toxic, fill it with rubbing alcohol and spritz the everlovin' crap out of your mattress, boxspring, slats (unless they're metal) and take a rag covered in it and wipe down your head and foot boards (but be careful, rubbing alcohol will ruin wood finishes and probably others!!).

- Make sure you've got your windows wide open and do it in the morning so everything can dry by bedtime.

The guy told us to literally take apart our beds and even wipe down the bottoms where they rest on the floors, and to get the alcohol into any holes, around the bolts, etc.

Be careful though - one of my neighbours apparently went nuts with the stuff and didn't think to put garbage bags down first to catch the mist when she sprayed her bed. Her floors are ruined....and she was doing it "just to be safe". Expensive lesson!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Honestly, if your in an apt they must of came from somewhere else. I would notifiy the owner/super of the building and call in the professionals.

I know my sister had roaches when she moved into her place and she complained and the super paid for all units to be done since she had moved into an exsisting problem.

we own our home and so that is another reason we are baffled where they came from. I have read about the alcohol spray thing so I'll try that next. We did take our bed completely apart and I used spray disinfectant around all the cracks and bolts etc. Hopefully that will be the end of them. Our parents talked about bed bugs in the Old Days, but I guess now there is a epidemic of them in North America. I found a web-site where Dr. Oz did a whole show on them, but I didn't see the program when it aired.
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Just wish us luck. Oh and Yes the bites where like hives and the bug he killed looked like the ones shown on the internet, so I'm pretty sure it was a bedbug.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by screamy View Post
    They're a huge problem in the City of Toronto - the thing to remember about bedbugs is that they're travellers - you can pick them up literally ANYWHERE, they'll come with you from the movies, a restaurant, you name it.

Bedbugs (unlike cockroaches) have absolutely nothing to do with the cleanliness of your home - all they want is a nice, warmblooded host and they'll live anywhere, clean or dirty.

We had a presentation at our condo AGM about them, they freak me right out too. So far it sounds like you've done all the right stuff.

The Orkin guy (or whoever he was) said that:

- Rubbing alcohol will kill them, and their eggs, on contact.

- Vacuuming will make you feel better and tidy things up, but even a cyclonic vacuum won't get all the eggs off of stuff, they're that adhesive (when they told me that I almost puked).

- Go get a spray bottle from the dollar store, make sure you clearly label it as toxic, fill it with rubbing alcohol and spritz the everlovin' crap out of your mattress, boxspring, slats (unless they're metal) and take a rag covered in it and wipe down your head and foot boards (but be careful, rubbing alcohol will ruin wood finishes and probably others!!).

- Make sure you've got your windows wide open and do it in the morning so everything can dry by bedtime.

The guy told us to literally take apart our beds and even wipe down the bottoms where they rest on the floors, and to get the alcohol into any holes, around the bolts, etc.

Be careful though - one of my neighbours apparently went nuts with the stuff and didn't think to put garbage bags down first to catch the mist when she sprayed her bed. Her floors are ruined....and she was doing it "just to be safe". Expensive lesson!
    So as long as my apt is clean they shouldn't come in or at least not stick around?

Oh and Sally, the super did do a pest control thing more than once and for some reason they're still coming. A few people have moved out of the building. Unfortunately I'm in a high rise with 21 floors so it's sort of hard to keep that kind of thing under control apparently.

Sorry OP I don't mean to be taking over your thread!
    "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than You." - Dr. Seuss

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Oh Judstir, am so sorry to read about your problem, what a mess!!!! Somehow those darn creatures followed you home, and all the work that goes with all that cleaning. wondering if you have ever seen that little Green Bissel Rug Washer, very portable and can be used on mattresses, couch and rugs and for the car seats and rugs. Thinking of you and hope you can get rid of them soon. Take care!!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've never had them. But I'm worried about them. I live in an apartment building. So if one family brings them in, they'll be everywhere. They are a huge problem in Ontario right now and not just in unsanitary environments. They are showing up in 5 star hotels. They say that the pesticide ban in Ontario is not helping the situation.
    The problem is so wide-spread that you don't have to travel to get them. You can get them in a movie theatre by sitting near someone who has an infestation in their house and brought them in on their clothing.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

So disappointed! After all my cleaning, sealing, freezing and heating I saw one of the little b*****gers on the top of the Sealed cover of the mattress and box spring. I guess that means they are somewhere else other than in the mattress itself. Just finished cleaning and scrubbing the whole bed again. Vacuumed the whole room and sprayed disinfectant along all the baseboards and wall light switches and picture frames. I don't know what to do next. Just wait and do it all again in a couple of days. We live in a very small town so I don't know of any professional people here who do this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Judstir, goodluck with getting those buggers gone!

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Judstir, so sorry to read that even with all your hard work, you found another creature! Once when the family got the flu and couldn't seem to get over it, put all the mattresses, pillows, bedding outside and let them freeze, still cold up north wondering if you could put the mattress outside and let it freeze for a few days. Thinking about you and how upsetting this must be for you. Did you get out the Raid and spray the room and shut the door? Good Luck & take care, Kitty

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

There is a product made to kill insects.
    I've often wondered if a person mixed some blood with this stuff and placed it along the floor board area if it would do the trick.

It is called DE diatomaceous earth and many sites say it works on bedbugs without adding anything to it. Spread it around the exterior of the room and the bedbugs walk through it and it dehydrates them somehow. It is non toxic.

Banned
    Trading Score
    38 (100%)

My husband said he saw a thing on tv and it said HEAT. Guys came in with industrial heaters. Um...would a blow dryer kill them? I don't know...I think I'd just pay someone to take care of it before it gets worse or you get eaten alive!

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyC View Post
    My husband said he saw a thing on tv and it said HEAT. Guys came in with industrial heaters. Um...would a blow dryer kill them? I don't know...I think I'd just pay someone to take care of it before it gets worse or you get eaten alive!
    I've heard of heat but wondered how hot it would have to be so I looked it up online: 120F or HIGHER! OMG, does a persons home heating system go that high?

Ya could leave the house and turn the heat as high as it will go and shut all the doors and windows and see what happens though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information