User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

With Summer quickly approaching I was wondering if anyone knew of any ways of going to the movies cheaper. I am aware of Pizza Pizza' offer as well as the back of certain cereal boxes. I have two boys who like to see all the new releases. Gets really expensive after a while, $50 each time, any suggestions would be great. I have Cineplex and Empire theatres located close to me.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

This thread is currently associated with: Cineplex & Scene Rewards, Pizza Pizza

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you have a second run theatre get your sons to wait to see the newest movie.I split my money between going to Cineplex,using free Cineplex passes and the cheap second run theatre.Play the www.icoke.ca game you might win points when get enough points you can purchase 2 Cineplex tickets when they are offered and you might win a Cineplex pass playing this game.Get an Aeroplan card. I turn my 4000 Aeroplan miles into 4 Cineplex movie tickets www.aeroplan.com Get them each a Scene card www.scene.ca to earn points towards a movie.
    Last edited by Poirot; Wed, Apr 20th, 2011 at 01:09 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for the info. What is a second run theatre?

Harbinger of Cheerios MercuryBlue's Avatar
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Bittorrent? :p

(TOTALLY kidding, btw.)

I see a lot of movie coupons/promotions in the late spring and during the summer. As was already mentioned, they usually seem to be associated with pop/chips and cereal. I've seen a LOT of 'get a free ticket when you buy a box of cereal' promotions.

Do you have any small local theatres? We have a small theatre in town here in addition to our big one and they have REALLY good prices on admission and concession. They do weekend matinees and it's only four bucks per person to get in (versus the big cinema, which charges anywhere from 8-10 bucks a person, depending on their age). Often the movies that they play aren't super-new releases (it might take a month or two of being in big theatres for it to show up in the matinee lineup) but for the price, I find it's worth the wait.

I'm waiting very impatiently for Cars 2 to come to theatres- I can't wait to take my little guys to that matinee!

EDIT: Maybe that's what you would call a 'second run theatre'... I've never heard that term used before, but it sounds like that's what I'm talking about, lol.
    Last edited by MercuryBlue; Wed, Apr 20th, 2011 at 06:09 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

At our Cineplex they have Telus Tuesdays which is free drink & popcorn with movie ticket purchase which helps cuz you dont have to pay extra for popcorn & drink. Scene cards are also awesome but already mentioned by previous posters but get them each their own cards so its something special for them to bring to the theater but you will have to do seperate transactions for each card.

We use GC usually to pay for the movies which we usually buy at Zellers to get the HBC points or receive as gifts for birthdays or christmas. Perhaps if you buy Easter gifts that might be something that they would enjoy!

Not that this helps with your going to the cinema problem but we rent movies from the public library kids and young adult dvd's are free to rent and all the other dvds are $2.10. Membership and books are also free but have late charges you have to watch out for and you can view the catalog of books online so you can search for specific books or movies without having to walk aimlessly through the library to find its already checked out or its not one of the books they carry and go to places like Amazon to read reviews and get recommendations on other similar books.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Forgot to mention 40,000 Petro points will get you $25 Cineplex gift card or $25 Empire gift card www.petro-points.com and Esso Extra www.essoextra.ca 4500 points for Cineplex night out ticket or Empire movie for two.
    Last edited by Poirot; Wed, Apr 20th, 2011 at 09:00 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tkkd View Post
    Thanks for the info. What is a second run theatre?
    A theatre that has movies that have been out a while and no longer popular.An example of a second run theatre is Carnival Cinemas http://www.carnivalcinemas.net
    Last edited by Poirot; Wed, Apr 20th, 2011 at 09:07 PM.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

you can also get 2 for 1 admission coupons at airmiles for pretty darn cheap, icoke also regularly has passes up.. it takes a bit to earn up enough points but it's really helpful (there is even a game up now that you can play and earn points)
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Our local public library is offering afternoon movies for children. Some of the movies are as new as 1 month after the theater has shown the movie.

This summer, the public library will partner with a movie theater to show one movie within one week after it has opened, at a reduced rate. Library patrons buy the tickets at the library and go to the movie theater to view.

Check out what deals and movies your public library is showing for students this summer.

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

M&M/Malteasers promo - collect 8 tops and get 2 free movie passes!
    Like last years promotion but valid til Dec 2011!
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/192611-...passes-canada/

I know El Paso kits had some movie coupons inside boxes. Not sure if that's still going on?
    Wanna get prizes and gift cards just for surfing the web?http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Tuktu60

Thread Information