User Tag List

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    652 (100%)

You know if this policy apply here in London?

you know if is better to print these I take with you in every buy?

Do you have any actual response to this issue from the company here in London that you can share?

I would glad if anyone there can help

Thanks.

Walmart letter to president and Director, Corporate Affairs.. Brace your selves
    After seeing many many many bad comments or rants about WM and how all their associates deal with us couponers I figured I would put unclear coupon policy to rest once and for all.

Any comments on this are very welcome. I think that we should e-mail Mr. Cheesewright and get this issue delt with ASAP.

Aren't you all tired of getting treated one way at one store and differently at another. Or treated with respect and care by one cashier and like at theif from another. Well I know I am!

Regardless of their desision I want a final one and one that comes from CORPORATE. So here is the e-mail I sent March 14th:

"" First let me start by saying that I really love shopping at Walmart because it is very close to my home, affordable and easy to shop at since the aisles placements are well planned. I’ve been an avid Walmart Shopper for years and never had any major issues until very recently. I decided to contact you and Mr. Cheesewright after getting the run around from customer service as well as other associates.

Lately, a few months now, I’ve had major issues with your unclear and ever changing coupon policy and would love for the executive panel to put one in place. One that makes sense and finally put these ever so changing rules to rest! I am tired of getting the run around thought your customers help line as well as with your stores managers.

I’ve been using coupons for years and have never really had issues before, except every so often, but lately it is getting to be a very hard task to shop at Walmart while using coupons. I have asked many times for an official policy from Walmart but only received one typed out from customer service and it’s never the same. I have seen many different copies of your unclearstore policy and I would like to clarify these issues I’ve had with your stores pertaining to coupon redemption. The policies that are sent to customers do not help at all since they are all different. I am part of a coupon community that includes many thousand members and we all have the same issues with Walmart. Issues like:

1. Not accepting coupons because they are exceeding the price of the item
    2. Not accepting multiple coupons on one bill because the coupon mentions “one per purchase” (which in fact only means one per item. One per transaction would mean one per bill)
    3. Getting scrutinized by cashiers, head cashiers and managers because of our coupon usage.
    4. Cashier bluntly refusing to redeem our coupons because of “what ever reason they have that day”
    5. Marking down the price of the coupon (even though a coupon mentions “store will be reimbursed the face value”)

Last Thursday I went to my local WalMart and purchased the following;

Gillette hair gel 1$ (had 2 coupons Buy 3 Get 5$) so I took 6
    Nivea hand cream 1$ (had 10 coupons Buy 1 Get 2$) so I took 10
    Glade 1$ (had 4 coupons Buy 1 Get 2$) so I took 4
    John Frieda hair conditioner 3$ (had 2 coupons Buy 2 Get 5$) so I took 2

I also got 6 Orange juice at 2.97$, 2 Salad dressing at 1.99$, 2 bottles of Olives at 1.97$ as well as a video game for my son at 19.97$

When I got to the check out counter the cashier told me, very bluntly and rudely, that she could not apply the full coupon value to the items purchased because it was exceeding the sales price and therefore she had to price down the coupons to equal the price of the items. I pointed to her that the coupons clearly stated that Wal-Mart was going to get reimbursed the full face value but was denied the rebate anyway, by the head cashier this time. All coupons I used mentioned the following; “We will reimburse the face value of the coupon plus our usual handling fees” as well as “taxes are included in the coupon”. She proceeded to mark down the coupon value but never indicated the amount on the actual coupons.

The Quebec law clearly states that when a coupon indicates that the taxes are included, the cashier must calculate the taxes and then reduce the coupon value. See page 51 of: http://www.revenu.gouv.qc.ca/documents/en/publications/in/in-203-v(2010-07).pdf. There are also similar laws all over Canada.

I did not want argue yet again over this same old issue, because it was clearly a loosing battle, and left her adjusting the coupon prices. I left the store flustered and contacted a few companies regarding the coupons I used. I was confirmed by these that the retailer will in fact get reimbursed the face value of the coupons if it is mentioned on these. After boiling over the issue and discussing it with my husband, I then realized that WalMart made, yet again, 18 dollars extra because the coupon prices where adjusted. After verifying past invoices I also realized that have lost an average of 5-15 dollars every week for the past month because of this issue and I’m getting really frustrated by that. It does not seem ethical or right that you get to keep the extra money.

I tried to find an ‘official’ policy on the Canadian web-site but found none. Every time I wanted extra information about Walmart Canada corporate revenue or policy it kept on bringing me to the Walmart.com website. So I looked at the WalMart corporate office’s website and found a coupon policy that states; Quote:

“Walmart Coupon Policy
    Walmart accepts the following types of coupons (see guidelines below):
    · Manufacturers' coupons
    · Print-at-home internet coupons
    o Must be legible, have "Manufacturer Coupon" printed on them, have a valid remit address for the manufacturer, valid expiration date, and have a scannable bar code.
    · Competitors' coupons that feature a specific item for a specified price
    o for example, $2.99
    · Soft drink container caps
    · Checkout coupons
    o (also called "Catalinas") that are printed at our competitors' registers, have "Manufacturer Coupon" with specific requirements printed on them, a valid remit address for the manufacturer, valid expiration date, and a scannable bar code.
    Walmart does not accept the following coupons:
    · Print-at-home Internet coupons that require no purchase
    · Competitors' coupons for dollars/cents or percentage off, buy one get one free, and double- or triple-value coupons
    The following are guidelines and limitations:
    · Only one coupon per item is permitted.
    · Coupons must have an expiration date and be redeemed prior to expiration.
    · Coupons may exceed the price of the item. Change may be given or applied toward the cost of the basket purchase.
    · Walmart only accepts coupons for merchandise that we sell.
    · Coupons must be presented at the time of purchase.”
    You might say that these policies are only for the US but it is clearly stated on your corporate website that “Walmart serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 8,969 retail units under 55 different banners in 15 countries. With fiscal year 2010 sales of $405 billion, Walmart employs 2.1 million associates worldwide.” No matter where you are in the world it is clear that Corporate is the main man, since they include all the countries in their total revenues as well as the tally or employees world-wide. They get the income from all worldwide Walmart no matter where you are located in the world. The rules should be the same anywhere you shop at since all total earnings go to corporate anyway. The unbeatable price rules are the same so why not the coupon policy then? While pushing my research further I also found on the CRS Canada website that;

“People are often surprised to learn that Walmart Canada operates largely as an independent company within the global Walmart organization. While ideas like the Walmart operating philosophy and values come to us from our parent company, most decisions that impact our business and our customers on a daily basis are made in Canada.” Which are most probably products purchases and employee regulations since they differ from US laws.

Again, on your website it is clearly stated that the operating philosophy and values comes from the parent company. Should I believe that the coupon policy is not part of the operation’s philosophy or values at Walmart Canada? Am I also to think that Walmart Canada actually reduces the coupon price when redeeming these with manufacturers? Since there are so many thousand coupons in circulation I don’t see how Walmart can keep track of which coupons have been reduced and which ones have not. I have a really hard time believing that you don’t get full reimbursement for these specific coupons. Unless it is a buy one get one free coupon, where the price is written on the coupon, Walmart will receive full value of the coupons and therefore should allow us to get the full value as well. WalMart already makes billions of dollars a year and is now making all the extra dollars from “Adjusted coupons”. On one of the circulating policy I viewed from Walmart Canada’s customer service associates it is clearly written that; “The checkout associate should be accepting the coupon in accordance with the coupon instructions.” Well the “Instructions” mentions that you will be fully reimbursed for the face value so how come your associates don’t follow “that” policy?
    I also found many comments from the CEO Mr. David Cheesewright where he mentions, quote: “The really exciting thing about being a global company of our size is that we are able to share the best ideas from around the globe and our size means that when we make a change it has a global impact.” As well as, quote “One thing we are very passionate about is working together across our global operations to ensure that we quickly share the best ideas, wherever they come from.” (See: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/david-cheesewright-on-social-responsibility/article711477/page2/)

I am positive that the idea of sharing the coupon policy is a good one and that not sharing this idea in Canada would have a negative global impact on the coupon users. Which, if I’m not mistaken, are all ‘your’ customers after all. I really don’t see what the fuss is all about but I (we) do not appreciate being threaded like thieves every time we pull out a coupon. It just burns me (as well as many other Canadian coupon users) that a billion dollar company that brags about all the money it makes and includes Canada in their revenues do not give us the same opportunities they give all their other customers (here being our neighbors, your American customers). Are our dollars we spend less valuable because we are "just" Canadians?

I do no longer wish for your associates to make me feel like I am robbing your company every time I use my coupons (which is how I feel every time I get scrutinise at checkout). One of the reasons why I use coupons is because without them I would not be able to afford name brand products and these allow us to do so. And by the same token, using coupons has allowed my family to get extra outings we would otherwise not be able to afford with a family of four living on one income (being the one of my husband). I have yet to steal from anyone in my life, but one thing is for sure your stores make me feel like I’m a thief every time I use my coupons. Why does Walmart Canada give us such a hard time?

I would greatly appreciate a rapid response to this major issue from a member of the administration team, who is able to take a major administrative decision like this one, as oppose to a customer service representative, along with your final decision on this matter. I really don’t think that it should be up to a store clerk, a head cashier, a customer service representative or a store manager to make this decision which will impact all of your stores nationally. Until then, I will sustain my self, as well as many other people I know, from shopping at Walmart.

I would like to add that I really don’t think, with the competitive market we now live in, and with Target coming soon to Canada, that Walmart can allow it self to loose even more customers. Even if you make billions of dollars per year it does not give you the right to make us loose out on valuable savings, savings which are, if I may add, your main policy internationally.

In conclusion; if Walmart Canada decides to continue keeping the extra money from our valuable coupons for them selves, I, and many others like me, will stop shopping at your stores all together. I will also, since we always share valuable shopping experiences and policies, make your final decision known to the coupon community.

In great hopes to receive a positive response from you,

With my kindest regards,
    A present Walmart avid shopper""

#1:
    Thank you very much for sharing with us a detailed account of your shopping experience, and the frustrations you have encountered. I have shared your email with our national customer relations manager who will contact you directly to address your concerns.

Sincerely,
    Susan Schutta

Susan Schutta Director, Corporate Affairs
    Phone 905-821-2111 ext. 8012
    [email protected]
    Wal-Mart Canada Corp.
    1940 Argentia Road
    Mississauga, ON L5N-1P9
    Save money. Live better.

#2:

We acknowledge receipt of your e-mail and thank you for highlighting your concern.

More time is needed to review.
    Once this review is complete, we will get back to you.

Thank you.
    Respectfully,
    Maria Della Grotta
    National Customer Relations & Research Manager
    Phone 905-821-2111
    Fax 905-821-6354
    [email protected]

Walmart Canada Corp.
    1940 Argentia Road
    Mississauga, Ontario L5N 1P9
    Save money. Live better.
    This thread is currently associated with: Independent, Target, Walmart

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    49 (100%)

I haven't tested the new coupon policy yet, but I would think it would apply to all walmarts

Princess of Paying Less katie333's Avatar
    Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I tested out the policy yesterday at Argyle mall, and other than verifying the usual things like expiration dates and matching products, my order was checked through no problem. I used the Gillette coupon, the St Ives which are both free or less than free.

Young cashier, she was also pretty efficient. She wasn't all that friendly, but frankly, I'm going to search out her line if I can. (not that I should have to, I'm hoping all cashiers there will treat these the same).
    Kate

Have a question about cross border coupon shopping? PM me!
    Earn free GC and more with Swagbucks!

Trading Score
    221 (100%)

I have used it at the Whiteoaks twice now with no problems. Didn't even need to break out the policy lol

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I'm trying it out on Saturday...I have had great luck with the boys checking out..they put everything through then I give them the coupons....the older women want to match up the coupons and then make a personal decision on whether to take the coupon at face value....just wondering if the "new coupon policy" was used in the conversation during the transaction?

Trading Score
    221 (100%)

The last time I went to the superstore walamrt. Te girl and i were talking about it for awhile. She was excited that she had someone with lots of coupons b/c she never had before lol. It's funny b/c on the show ppl always stand and watch. The guy in front of me saw my coupons and said oh are you going to spend under $25? I said actually if I have this right I will spend under $5... He stayed there for my 20 min checkout just to see lol. Everyone in line was watching and some other lines too. It was kinda made me nervous having everyone watch lol. I ended up spending $3.75!!
    just wondering if the "new coupon policy" was used in the conversation during the transaction?[/QUOTE]

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by amanda4 View Post
    The last time I went to the superstore walamrt. Te girl and i were talking about it for awhile. She was excited that she had someone with lots of coupons b/c she never had before lol. It's funny b/c on the show ppl always stand and watch. The guy in front of me saw my coupons and said oh are you going to spend under $25? I said actually if I have this right I will spend under $5... He stayed there for my 20 min checkout just to see lol. Everyone in line was watching and some other lines too. It was kinda made me nervous having everyone watch lol. I ended up spending $3.75!!
    just wondering if the "new coupon policy" was used in the conversation during the transaction?
    [/QUOTE]

OMG!!! I LOVE IT!! I would have stood there and watched too! lol

I emailed walmart canada two weeks ago when I started reading so many posts on here about the new coupon policy and got back an email saying they don't have a policy. I really am interested in what you hear back-mind you it's been a while since your initial email...

Thread Information