User Tag List

Thread: Local food bank

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just a thought for others . I called our local food bank to see what kinds of donations they accepted and to my surprise they take almost everything. I used some coupons to purchase products (already on sale too), that I would never use and I have donated them to my food bank. I hate to see a good coupon go to waste. They even take samples of products. Every little bit counts! I also used my coupon for free Corn Flakes that I recieved today for the Food Bank. Even if you can't use it, I hope this post will inspire someone else to think of their food bank
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I contacted our local women's shelter, and they will also gladly accept the actual coupons - the lady I emailed thought it was a great idea!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    257 (100%)

The food banks have a hard time getting shampoo, soap, etc so samples anything helps. If you look at it if you can't afford to feed your family and you need the food bank then deodorant and soap is on the list after food. I donated my maternity clothes to one because my little one was very premature so I only wore them for about a month and there are women who needed them.

scoobie76
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

I have been nabbing ever coupon I could possibly find to be able to help out a food bank here in Durham, personal item ones too. They were there years ago when my family needed them so just wanted to give back

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

http://foodbankscanada.ca/HungerCount.htm

If you've ever wondered where the food comes from, goes and is needed most there are some valuable statistics in here. The 2010 numbers are there, 2011 is being processed now. (I volunteer @ Feed Nova Scotia )

*Loves coupons*
    Trading Score
    116 (100%)

WOW I AM glad that everyone is having a positive from the food bank......
    Unfortunately I took a trunk full of bags and boxes of everything you name it.... and a guy that opened the door (that they take donations from) and looked at me I said I have some things to drop off.. he said where?.... so I opened up the door and he said I have to get a cart.. he went and got one and I put most of the stuff in the cart.. then he said bye and went in the building and closed the door..... I just thought a thank you would of been nice......and the food bank by my aunts place told her that they want brand name stuff and not the no name........
    I mean come on there are people out there that are hungry and would take anything yet the food bank say brand name stuff........ Don't make scene to me..... SO after all this......I would rather just go and drop off things that I have to someone that I know are in need of things... and that way I know that the things that I have dropped of is really going to someone who needs it......

another note.... This is just my experience and I am sure that, not all food banks are like this...so I am not by anyway trying to put down any food banks.. I know that there are people out there that food banks are there only means of living......
    Thank you to Everyone On SmartCanucks for helping me save

Trading Score
    297 (100%)

We donate every couple of months! Our Food Bank burnt down in Feb & we donated 5 bags & laundry, personal items!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I have also called around, and was very surprised to hear that they didn't want the carton of diapers I planned to drop off, or any of the personal care / household cleaning stuff (to be fair, one of them was for the homeless, and I guess they probably have less need for cleaning stuff...but shampoo and things like that, I thought they could use).

I wonder if they would be able to organize a "how to coupon" seminar for their clients. It would probably be a big help to people who need to make sure they stretch their dollars as far as possible.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    257 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by screamy View Post
    I have also called around, and was very surprised to hear that they didn't want the carton of diapers I planned to drop off, or any of the personal care / household cleaning stuff (to be fair, one of them was for the homeless, and I guess they probably have less need for cleaning stuff...but shampoo and things like that, I thought they could use).

I wonder if they would be able to organize a "how to coupon" seminar for their clients. It would probably be a big help to people who need to make sure they stretch their dollars as far as possible.
    Wow I know one of the soup kitchens here run by Nuns are always looking for soap, etc. They help people who need clean clothes for interviews etc and they hand out clothes and personal supplies to people who need them. It is mostly visited by men and they don't have a lot of space so they ask for mostly men's items but they never turned away any of the supplies given to them. If the homeless can't use the cleaning supplies the places themselves can.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Yeah, I guess they didn't consider the fact that free dish soap could be used to wash the soup kitchen's dishes. But when I tried to convince them to take some stuff, they just dug in. It was pretty confusing.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow, I am surprised to see such a response. Sorry to hear about the bad experiences though. I live here in a small town. Our surrounding population is around 120, 000 people I think, not that it should make a difference. To "Screamy" I like the idea of a "How to Coupon" night, I just might have to suggest that to them. I think I might be a little helpful in that category too

Just want to say thanks to those who have responded. This is one of my first post on the board and I find this site quite helpful. I am a newbie. Only been into the coupon world for about 2 months but saved close to $300 already! Thanks folks!

Thread Information