User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Shopping for front load washer + dryer - Help!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Who knew there was so much to know about washer/dryers?!
    thanks for this thread, OP and contributors... Our washer sounds like it's going to go off its rockers (i'm so scared that the drum will fly off toward me when I open the closet door) and glad to know that people have done the research for me already...
    haha totally me!

it was a washer we inherited. it was a little loud anyways, but lately it's sounding like it's trying to achieve liftoff when it spins!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

HI, posting my buy in case there are out there looking for the same.

We are extremely happy - did 4 loads yesterday. We got an LG pair
    WM2140 and DLE2140 - front loading, stackable or not.
    Bought from the Bay - $1149 (sale) for the pair, with taxes, shipping, stacking kit, free installation, and $25 to take away both of the old ones, the total was $1467.83.

Very happy with the quiet power (large capacity - double our old) and features. Uses very little water and only costs $10 of energy per year. highly recommend.
    Last edited by grumpy; Sun, Jun 26th, 2011 at 09:08 AM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We've got Samsung Front Loaders

http://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/js...ump&navCount=4

Overall, quite satisfied with them. They do a great job cleaning clothes, no major mold, smell issues. We do leave the door open and occasionally run though one of the afresh tabs just in case. We've had them since 2008. We have had one repair on the dryer (heating element). It was a few weeks ago, shortly after we moved. We bought a 5yr extended warrenty though, so it was all covered. It wouldn't have been anything that my DH wouldn't have been able to handle though if we hadn't purchase the extended warrenty, but since we did -- bonus. We paid something rediculous when we bought them (without pedestals), around $2300.

My MIL (who also lives with us) recently bought herself these for her apartment in the basement. They are stacked. I'm pretty sure she paid under or around $1500 for them (on sale).

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...82d88730e9en02

We used the dryer while ours was out of commission (huge bonus of having a granny suite). Really fast drying time, and red -- awesome.

When we were buying our main things we were looking for was a direct drive motor and all stainless steel drums. We also liked that the Samsung's have a clean out on the washer, and a hose just in case something goes awry. For us, it was pretty well a toss up between Samsung and LG.
    Last edited by oddduck; Sun, Jun 26th, 2011 at 11:37 AM.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

i have a Maytag neptune top load with front load technology
    had the top relaced because of rust problems and will need again soon....
    i found once a site with complains about these and it'S sister (front load) and apparently the rust problem isn't the worst people have with those ....
    had a Maytag before and no problem in many years of use..that'S why we chose a Maytag to replace it

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just bought a Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum washer and dryer a week ago. It is a top load high efficiency washer (no agitator) and steam dryer. I have had to wash all my darks twice because it leaves white streaks on everything. I even tried cutting the detergent back to about half of what it calls for and it still left streaks. I also find the washer very loud. I have read the manual over and over again thinking I am not operating the washer correctly but I seem to be doing everything as it states.The set is going back tomorrow. I hate the washer. I have decided to try the Samsung WF330ANW front load washer and dryer pair.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We purchased an unpaired LG Dryer at Home Depot on clearance for $399 (reg. $699) and then contacted FS to buy the matching LG Washer for $699 (minus $100 NS Energy Efficiency Refund and saved the 15% tax). In all it cost under $1000 before taxes

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Glad I stumble across this thread. How can you tell which manufacturer make which brands? Does it state on the box / machine? I always thought Whirlpool was made by Whirlpool .

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the same for washing machines in dryers, but in fridges you can't really avoid any manufacturer. Some will be say, name brand of Kenmore but made by Whirlpool, etc.

We bought a new washer and dryer a few years ago, found that the front loading washers were MUCH more expensive, so much more that we didn't go that route. I understand they're especially great if you're on a well and don't have an endless supply of water as we do in the city, as they don't use as much. And they're apparently easier on your clothes, and more water is removed during the spin cycle. But for us anyhow, I don't think the benefits outweigh the extra cost.
    Yes, there are only a few manufacturers with appliances under a few names, including Kenmore.
    There is now a top load washer with similar energy efficiency as front loads, at a lower price.
    Consumers Reports is a great place to compare and for the best price for value, the Consumers Report "Best Buy" is usually a good way to go.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I've been thinking of upgrading ours too. But I'm not convinced they'd save me enough money to make it worthwhile. Our electricity rate is based on use. The more electricity you use, the lower the rate. So it's not exactly motivating to save electricity. I wonder how long it takes for these machines to "pay for themselves"? We pay for water, so that'd be a savings.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When my old top loader died I bought a front loader. This was 5 years ago. I bought a Kenmore from Sears. I've had no issues with it. Once in awhile, if it's really loaded, it sounds loud. When not in use I keep the door open to let air circulate and use Affresh washer tabs to keep it smelling nice. And make sure you use detergent labelled HE. A neighbour told me her friend using regular detergent and it screwed the machine up somehow.
    Last edited by toban; Mon, Mar 18th, 2013 at 09:58 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a front loading samsung washer and dryer.

i do laundry when I feel like it, which is generally during the day when rates are high, and my hydro and water bill is peanuts. I think I pay between $110 and $120 a month total for both when the ac is not running....and I do 2 loads of laundry a day. Before I bought my new machines I was spending $140 a month for water and hydro, and the rates were about 30% cheaper.

Plus I have hard water and use a lot less detergent....well worth the cost IMO.
    anisa and Insane like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

we bought a LG front load , matching dryer when we moved into our new house.
    the washer lasted 3 years,and 3 months.
    then it stopped.
    we contacted the company.
    told a call out would cost 159.99 . with no garentee it would or could be fixed. we would be required to pay that amount up front,and then they would get back to us with a date. it could take up to 2 weeks.

I am sure you can tell just how inpressed i was.
    the serivce person on the phone was..... unpleasent to deal with. I did not request a person to come out
    I was told the lifetime garentee was did not apply, and if it was something that the lifetime garentee covered, well..... it was still 159 for them to come out.....

we no longer own these.
    Insane and colourcube like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I was told to run an empty cycle with bleach every month to clean out my front loading machine and hoses.

To eliminate odor that can develop in front loaders run an empty cycle with a cup of vinegar. Also as some people mentioned above leave the door open until the machine is dry.
    Last edited by colourcube; Wed, Mar 20th, 2013 at 03:48 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

loved the Samsung ones, I couldn't justify spending more to get a lesser warranty.
    Welcome to my Guild Wars 2 Gold,mmoggg blogs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information