User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Shopping for front load washer + dryer - Help!

Awesome
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I'm looking to purchase a front-load washer & dryer (and pedestals) & I'd like to stay under $2000, preferably closer to $1500 for the pair. I'm so hopelessly confused about what to buy.

Guy at Sears recommended a Kenmore washer (49057 or 49052) & dryer (89057 or 89052). The pair is on sale for $1500 & they come with a 3-year protection agreement (as opposed to just the usual 1-year warranty). There's also a delivery rebate & the hydro rebate, plus 5x the points. On top of that, I have a coupon from the company I did a home inspection with for 10% off Kenmore appliances. The pair would cost me $1850 total, and about $150 in gift certificates due to the bonus points.

However, the salesperson told me that the washer is "5 star rated" online. I looked it up and it's got a SINGLE customer review giving it 5/5 stars. I would hardly classify a single customer review as "5 star rated." In fact, I can't find any other reviews. *shrugs*

At Future Shop I looked at a Samsung WF330ANW washer & the pair would cost about $1935 total. Overall the reviews online are great, and I had almost made up my mind that we'd get these ones.. but I still see quite a few negative reviews on the FS website for various Samsung models. How is Samsung overall for washers & dryers?

Does anyone have any input? I'd like to stay away from Whirlpool & Maytag. Anyone have a copy of Consumer Reports?
    This thread is currently associated with: Future Shop, Sears

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I'm not sure if it's the same for washing machines in dryers, but in fridges you can't really avoid any manufacturer. Some will be say, name brand of Kenmore but made by Whirlpool, etc.

We bought a new washer and dryer a few years ago, found that the front loading washers were MUCH more expensive, so much more that we didn't go that route. I understand they're especially great if you're on a well and don't have an endless supply of water as we do in the city, as they don't use as much. And they're apparently easier on your clothes, and more water is removed during the spin cycle. But for us anyhow, I don't think the benefits outweigh the extra cost.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Awesome
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Yeah, they are more expensive for sure. But I like that they use less electricity & water, and they are generally said to get clothes cleaner than top-load while being gentler on your clothes. I also like their high capacity so I don't have to do a bunch of smaller loads. And, they're puuuurdy.

You're right about the brands intermingling. If I remember correctly, Kenmore is now made by Samsung. Whirlpool bought Maytag. I've heard so many horror stories about Maytag, and I heard that Whirlpool used to be good but they've started manufacturing in Mexico since the economic downturn & their quality has gone downhill. I believe Whirlpool also uses a belt drive as opposed to direct drive -- direct drive is supposed to be better.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i researched this a while back and came across a consumer reports forum thread discussing this.

after spending a long time reading the whole thread (it's long!) i realized that samsung front loaders with their vibration reduction are very dependable. there are a couple of technicians that also gave a lot of input in the thread.

i was quite surpeised that ppl had had a lot of problems with whirlpool and other major brands. even LG

give it a read, it's interesting. i just left it open and sat down a few times to read it through to the end.

normally you have to pay to subscribe to the consumer reports website, BUT the forum is free for all to read!

i said that i have decided on samsung, narrowed it down to their 337 model at the time, but their 350 model is new and offers steam as well. i haven't exactly bought it yet! haha. but i intend to soon!

http://forums.consumerreports.org/n/...washers&tid=45
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

I think this is the same one i just recently bought but i bought the blue. It was around the same price - then not even 2 weeks after we bought it ,it was on sale again ..cheaper still! So we took the bill back and got the difference credited to our credit card with absolutely no problems at all.
    The chaps delivered when they said they would ,were really quick, polite(which i always appreciate!) and took away our old ones too.
    As for the machines, well at first the "song" it sings to tell you its done got on my nerves BIG TIME ! but i switched the sound down and it doesn't irritate me as much,lol..in fact i appreciate it cos i don't always hear it until the end of the"song" and at least its a reminder to deal with the wash!!
    I also appreciate the fact that it has a timer on it - not that i've used it yet- but for people need to do a wash in a cheaper time(4 am or something) , you can set it up to do that.Choosing the setting is actually easier than it looks!
    Love the big drum - my comforters went in with no problem!
    Note this is taller than the older style front loader...
    I went for Sears cos it seemed like the best deal around at the time, i also got bonus points which is free money for me,lol..and also the service. I have never liked Future Shop service...just my opinion!...and have never had any issues with Sears(and hopefully never will!)
    Come on -Join me ! Get Points, get Free stuff

http://www.gifthulk.com/refer/kazm-l
    And if you need a link for Zoombucks or Irazoo ....let me know!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

About who makes what at Sears w/Kenmore -

The 2 entry level front loaders are made by Frigidaire. Up until 2010 the remainder were made by Whirlpool.

Beginning 2010, all front loaders from Kenmore are LG made with the exception of the 2 Frigidaire made models..

* GE's 3.1 and 3.5 front loaders are also Frigidaire made.

I'd get the Kenmore WAY sooner than a Samsung.
    But that said, two of my sisters who had frontloaders have gone back to toploaders!
    One couldn't stand how long it took to do loads, and the other had a Maytag with serious mould issues which never got resolved.

We have a Kenmore big capacity toploader and LOVE it!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    But that said, two of my sisters who had frontloaders have gone back to toploaders!
    One couldn't stand how long it took to do loads, and the other had a Maytag with serious mould issues which never got resolved.

We have a Kenmore big capacity toploader and LOVE it!
    I heard the same mould story from a friend of mine with a front loader. She bails water from just inside the door at the end of the laundry cycle.

I also heard that they are making some top loaders with comparable energy efficiency of front loaders.

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

I've never had a mould issue with my front loader(i had one before too).This style is also very popular in Europe, in fact i didn't know top loaders existed before coming to Canada, and mould was not anything i ever heard as an issue. I always leave my door open after a wash to eliminate any odours...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I'm a HUGE fan of Samsung....all the appliances I have are by them. First off, you can PM at Future Shop, which is what DH and I did, and they threw in free delivery for us (we're in a town 12 km from the major centre which to delivery guys means they try and rape us with $150 delivery charges NO JOKE!) AND FS also threw in the hoses - lol but as it turned out Samsung actually provides the hoses (I guess lots of manufacturers don't???). Anyway, I love my machines, and yes they do take longer to run 54 min for a small load, 57 min for a med load and 109 for a heavy load (give or take). My mom actually bought the same set as me, except she got hers from the Brick and it had another brand name on it...upon some investigation both hers and mine are indeed the exact same machine. DH actually found our set online at FS and we had the store PM the online price of $1300 (yeah killer deal!). From the research we had done, Oct/Nov is the best time to buy washer/dryers with the exception of boxing day sales - which we kicked ourselves about, because the pair was on at Leons for $1000 AND they would have stored it for us till April when our house was done.
    LOL! literally my washer just sang it's little "I'm done" song...what a coincidence

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

the moldy smell issue has come up apparently in some front loaders, but not all.
    i think that was a while back tho, and from what i understand it was a few dif models.

front loaders are hugely popular in other countries, so they can't be all that bad
    think about it, laundromats use them, all over north america. they are gentle on your clothes, and fun to watch

can't wait to buy my samsung.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

In regards to the moldy issues.....the number one thing is to leave the door open to let it dry out (I don't ever close it, just leave it open all the time). If you can't do that keep an old towel or roll of paper towl to dry out the gasket. I've never even used my Affresh tabs, and I've never ever noticed a smell

Awesome
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Thanks for the feedback guys! We caved & bought the Kenmore set. We narrowed it down to a really nice Samsung pair (so pretty!!) and the Kenmore one I mentioned. The Samsung pair would have been about $400 more. I confirmed that the Kenmore pair was made by Samsung, and because of the 3-year warranty Kenmore is offering right now, as much as I loved the Samsung ones, I couldn't justify spending more to get a lesser warranty.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blawblaw View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys! We caved & bought the Kenmore set. We narrowed it down to a really nice Samsung pair (so pretty!!) and the Kenmore one I mentioned. The Samsung pair would have been about $400 more. I confirmed that the Kenmore pair was made by Samsung, and because of the 3-year warranty Kenmore is offering right now, as much as I loved the Samsung ones, I couldn't justify spending more to get a lesser warranty.
    lucky you! happy laundering
    R

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Who knew there was so much to know about washer/dryers?!
    thanks for this thread, OP and contributors... Our washer sounds like it's going to go off its rockers (i'm so scared that the drum will fly off toward me when I open the closet door) and glad to know that people have done the research for me already...

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Hate to tell you this grumpy but that was mine plus an irritating little leak before i called the repairman in - drum needed to be replaced which that plus installation would have been nearly the price of a new machine - we bought new before we had NO choice, and i don't regret it at all,lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information