User Tag List

Page 2848 of 11781 FirstFirst ... 1848 2348 2748 2798 2838 2846 2847 2848 2849 2850 2858 2898 2948 3348 3848 ... LastLast
Results 42,706 to 42,720 of 176701
Like Tree1334441Likes

Thread: Club Q Q107-Loyalty Club (Southern ON Only) v4

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

pfww is holiday

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

"Frankenfish" Found in B.C. Waters!

A Burnaby man says he saw a snakefish, an invasive species, in B.C. waters. (Shutterstock)

VANCOUVER -- It’s known as "Frankenfish."
    It can grow up to a metre long. It’s a top-level predator that has wiped out native species in U.S. lakes. It can creep over land to other bodies of water, eating small animals as it travels.
    It’s a snakehead fish, and B.C. environmentalists hope they can capture the one a Burnaby man says he saw and videotaped Sunday in Central Park waters — before it’s too late.
    “Of all the invasive species I might be worried about for B.C., the snakehead would make the top-10 list,” said Matthias Herborg, an aquatic invasive species expert with the provincial Ministry of Environment.
    Herborg said if the fish turns out to be a northern snakehead and begins breeding and spreading to other water sources, it would be “another nail in the coffin for our native species.”
    A large, voracious predator, the snakehead fish is an eco-nightmare, reproducing at a terrifying rate. The female lays up to 15,000 eggs at once, up to five times a year. And northern snakeheads would be sturdy enough to survive in B.C. waters, according to Herborg.
    Just as disturbing, snakeheads are completely legal to purchase in B.C. Experts suspect the fish was either a pet that grew too big for its fish tank and was released at the pond, or a live-food specimen someone dumped in the lagoon.
    “They’re aggressive. They’re big. They’d probably snatch up those ducklings pretty quick,” said former fish store retailer Mitchell Wentzell, pointing to an unsuspecting duck family paddling serenely on the pond. “You hear of this kind of thing more and more. In Florida, you hear pythons there are invading (areas). It’s becoming a huge problem.”
    Snakeheads are a growing problem in the United States, and are permanently established in the Potomac River along the Atlantic coast. They haven’t become established in Canada yet, Herborg said.
    The City of Burnaby alerted the ministry to investigate after video footage posted online showed what appears to be a snakehead in Central Park waters.
    Rod Gonzales said he filmed the fish at the park’s lower pond Sunday afternoon while feeding fish with his three-year-old son.
    “At first I didn’t know what it was, and as I zoomed in I realized it was a snakehead,” Gonzales said.
    Herborg said a government team would conduct some sampling, probably next week. To find the fish, they will likely use techniques such as netting, trapping or electro-fishing — stunning the fish so they float to the surface but later come to again.
    The city has already placed mesh over the pond’s outflow to prevent the fish from swimming downstream.
    “Eventually the water does flow into the Fraser (River), but regional fishery staff reckon, at least at the moment, it’s unlikely the fish could get through because it’s very narrow, shallow and dry,” Herborg said.
    But can’t it crawl over land?
    “Fish need a reason to do that,” he said. “At the moment, whatever’s in there has a lot of gold fish and baby koi to munch on.”
    But Herborg said there was no concern for the public or pets.
    “A larger one might eat a duckling. But it’s not a crocodile -- it’s still just a fish
    rockit, kenrod, WolfDio and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

OMG! doesn't she watch 'swamp people' ?!!
    rockit, user-id, ecat444 and 7 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you had your wedding ceremony in a place like this..................you might be a redneck.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by waynethegolfer View Post
    These trees grow in the forest near Gryfino , Poland . The cause of the curvature is unknown.

Congrats on your third heart wtg! what a neat pic by the way!

Keep your head down waynethegolfer's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Man oh man I'm cleaning out the garage and found a lot of racoon poop. Time to evict.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just bought 5 colorful hanging plants - bright pink and purple - gotta love spring time!!!!

I'm in Yorkville right now, got a deal at a spa so going there shortly for a bit of pampering! Totally forgot about it until midnight last night, I only had noon wrote on the calendar and wondered what that meant until it hit me! Luckily I remembered or I would have got charged for nothing instead of getting a good deal!

Some tired pups!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

pf password: trip

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

pfww is trip

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My oh my I'm a three heart guy. Thanks all.
    Well done

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by WolfDio View Post
    I Like my Decorations at this Moment!!

Matching Set.
    My oh my I'm a three heart guy. Thanks all.
    Nice hearts (and stars!) They look great!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by ecat444 View Post
    "Frankenfish" Found in B.C. Waters!

A Burnaby man says he saw a snakefish, an invasive species, in B.C. waters. (Shutterstock)

VANCOUVER -- It’s known as "Frankenfish."
    It can grow up to a metre long. It’s a top-level predator that has wiped out native species in U.S. lakes. It can creep over land to other bodies of water, eating small animals as it travels.
    It’s a snakehead fish, and B.C. environmentalists hope they can capture the one a Burnaby man says he saw and videotaped Sunday in Central Park waters — before it’s too late.
    “Of all the invasive species I might be worried about for B.C., the snakehead would make the top-10 list,” said Matthias Herborg, an aquatic invasive species expert with the provincial Ministry of Environment.
    Herborg said if the fish turns out to be a northern snakehead and begins breeding and spreading to other water sources, it would be “another nail in the coffin for our native species.”
    A large, voracious predator, the snakehead fish is an eco-nightmare, reproducing at a terrifying rate. The female lays up to 15,000 eggs at once, up to five times a year. And northern snakeheads would be sturdy enough to survive in B.C. waters, according to Herborg.
    Just as disturbing, snakeheads are completely legal to purchase in B.C. Experts suspect the fish was either a pet that grew too big for its fish tank and was released at the pond, or a live-food specimen someone dumped in the lagoon.
    “They’re aggressive. They’re big. They’d probably snatch up those ducklings pretty quick,” said former fish store retailer Mitchell Wentzell, pointing to an unsuspecting duck family paddling serenely on the pond. “You hear of this kind of thing more and more. In Florida, you hear pythons there are invading (areas). It’s becoming a huge problem.”
    Snakeheads are a growing problem in the United States, and are permanently established in the Potomac River along the Atlantic coast. They haven’t become established in Canada yet, Herborg said.
    The City of Burnaby alerted the ministry to investigate after video footage posted online showed what appears to be a snakehead in Central Park waters.
    Rod Gonzales said he filmed the fish at the park’s lower pond Sunday afternoon while feeding fish with his three-year-old son.
    “At first I didn’t know what it was, and as I zoomed in I realized it was a snakehead,” Gonzales said.
    Herborg said a government team would conduct some sampling, probably next week. To find the fish, they will likely use techniques such as netting, trapping or electro-fishing — stunning the fish so they float to the surface but later come to again.
    The city has already placed mesh over the pond’s outflow to prevent the fish from swimming downstream.
    “Eventually the water does flow into the Fraser (River), but regional fishery staff reckon, at least at the moment, it’s unlikely the fish could get through because it’s very narrow, shallow and dry,” Herborg said.
    But can’t it crawl over land?
    “Fish need a reason to do that,” he said. “At the moment, whatever’s in there has a lot of gold fish and baby koi to munch on.”
    But Herborg said there was no concern for the public or pets.
    “A larger one might eat a duckling. But it’s not a crocodile -- it’s still just a fish
    Ewwww.... I don't mind fish or snakes but that is nasty. I hope they don't make it to Ontario...

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Man oh man I'm cleaning out the garage and found a lot of racoon poop. Time to evict.
    Careful with your disposal tools, etc. Wayne... I hear that racoon poop can be toxic.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee03 View Post
    Careful with your disposal tools, etc. Wayne... I hear that racoon poop can be toxic.
    I agree. Deadly stuff. Parasites, roundworm etc. Keep the kids and pets away. Clean everything you use.

Thread Information