User Tag List

Page 3280 of 11781 FirstFirst ... 2280 2780 3180 3230 3270 3278 3279 3280 3281 3282 3290 3330 3380 3780 4280 ... LastLast
Results 49,186 to 49,200 of 176708
Like Tree1334446Likes

Thread: Club Q Q107-Loyalty Club (Southern ON Only) v4

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Jon Lord

Deep Purple, 1968–1976It is in this period that Lord's trademark keyboard sound emerged. Ignoring the emergence of the Moog synthesizer as pioneered in rock by players like Keith Emerson, he began experimenting with a keyboard sound centred on the Hammond organ but heavier than a blues sound and often featuring distortion.[4] This delivered a rhythmic foundation to complement Blackmore's speed and virtuosity on lead guitar. Lord also loved the sound of an RMI 368 Electra-Piano and Harpsichord, which he used on songs like "Demon's Eye", and "Space Truckin'". In 1973, Lord's original Hammond C3 gave out, and he purchased another from Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac. Around this same time, Lord and his keyboard technician, Mike Phillips, combined his Hammond C3 Organ with the RMI.[4] (Lord kept this particular Hammond C3 until his retirement from the band in 2002.)
    Lord pushed the Hammond-Leslie sound through Marshall amplification, creating a growling, heavy, mechanical sound that gave a rhythmic counterpoint to Blackmore's lead playing. It also allowed Lord to compete with Blackmore as a soloist, with an organ that sounded as heavy as a lead guitar. Said one reviewer, "many have tried to imitate [Lord's] style, and all failed."[5] Said Lord himself, "There's a way of playing a Hammond [that's] different. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that you can play a Hammond with a piano technique. Well, you can, but it sounds like you are playing a Hammond with a piano technique. Really, you have to learn how to play an organ. It's a legato technique; it’s a technique to achieve legato on a non-legato instrument."[6]
    In early Deep Purple recordings, Lord had appeared to be the leader of the band, though it never made chart success in the UK until the Concerto for Group and Orchestra album (1970). For example, the band's first hit song, a cover of Joe South's "Hush", features an extended organ solo and no guitar solo. Later, Lord's willingness to play many of the key rhythm parts gave the guitarist the freedom to let loose both live and on record.
    On Deep Purple's second and third albums, Lord began indulging his ambition to fuse rock with classical music. An early example of this is the song "Anthem" from the album The Book of Taliesyn (1968), but a more prominent example is the song "April" from the band's self-titled third album (1969). The song is recorded in three parts: (1) Lord and Blackmore only, on keyboards and acoustic guitar, respectively; (2) an orchestral arrangement complete with strings; and (3) the full rock band with vocals. This enhanced Lord's reputation among fellow musicians, but caused tension within the group.

Whitesnake, 1978–1984
    Lord's job in Whitesnake was largely limited to adding colour (or, in his own words, a 'halo') to round out a blues-rock sound that already accommodated two lead guitarists, Bernie Marsden and Micky Moody. He added a Yamaha Electric Grand piano to his set-up and finally a huge bank of synthesizers onstage courtesy of Moog (MiniMoog, Opus, PolyMoog) so he could play the 12-bar blues the band often required and recreate string section and other effects. Such varied work is evident on tracks like "Here I Go Again", "Wine, Women and Song", "She's a Woman" and "Till the Day I Die". A number of singles entered the UK charts, taking the now 40-something Lord onto Top of the Pops with regularity between 1980 and 1983. He later expressed frustration that he was a poorly-paid hired-hand. His dissatisfaction (and Coverdale's eagerness to revamp the band's line-up and lower the average age to help crack the US market) smoothed the way for the reformation of Deep Purple Mk II in 1984.

Burning my way through another year!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by ecat444 View Post
    Boy, 3, kills dad after finding loaded gun

QMI AGENCY First posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 12:15 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, July 16, 2012 12:45 PM EDT
    Michael A. Bayless/Facebook

An Indiana man is dead after his three-year-old son accidentally shot him, police say. On Friday night, Michael A. Bayless, 33, was watching TV with two of his children in Salem, Ind., when his three-year-old son found a loaded handgun in the area where they were watching TV, Indiana State Police said.
    The boy accidentally discharged the gun, and Bayless was hit. He was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.
    Bayless was at home with his wife, three children and another young family member at the time of the accidental shooting, police said.
    No one else was injured.

That is horrible - one of the big problems with having a loaded gun around your house!!!!
    Friggin' yanx and their right to bear arms. Your right it's a tragedy.

Keep your head down waynethegolfer's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

goood morning all, day two of my work week and I guess I'm ready.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I see I've gone pink. Thanks all

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

2:12 am "deuce" - kiss
    rockit, WolfDio, Lee03 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by waynethegolfer View Post
    I see I've gone pink. Thanks all
    Not from embarassment I trust. Congratz WTG

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Another variation on guide dogs for the blind...

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Name:  waffle.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  18.1 KB

it's warm out already.
    ice cream for breakfast? why not?
    alohamom, rockit, ecat444 and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good morning Q folks. Looks like a nice day to stay in with air conditioning.

practice makes perfect divotman's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good morning all. Hope all is good. Having a day break from golf. 57 rounds this year so far and counting.
    Golf Anyone

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good morning to another hot & humid day....can`t wait for the evening rain to bring a return to comfortable temps.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by divotman View Post
    Good morning all. Hope all is good. Having a day break from golf. 57 rounds this year so far and counting.
    Wow....I`m only at 35 rounds

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mechman47 View Post
    I used a Burger ticket to get another beer at the end with no problem!
    Just because...
    They just looked after us large!
    Burger ticket for beer...awesome deal

Thread Information