User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

I know most people tell them what they paid, but if you come back and say I only spent $3, they may be suspicious...seems to be a grey area. I think your saving grace will be that it's grocery. but again watch your limits on the items your allowed.

so I would claim the value and then specify that it's grocery and have your receipt ready to hand to the officer. I cross at least once a week, so as long as your honest and have all your paperwork ready, they shouldn't give you any trouble.
    Last edited by PrincessCoupon; Thu, Jun 2nd, 2011 at 10:52 AM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by amoureux View Post
    We live 4 km from the border so I cross over 3-4 times a month.

Depending how close you are to the border, it is well worth it just for gas!

I almost never pay any tax when I cross back over and I declare every single penny. I have only paid a few times over the past 3 years and that was never on a grocery run.

You can bring almost any food item back - the government of Canada's beaware.gc.ca site will give you all the details but in summary, the restrictions are pretty minimal. i.e. you can bring back up to 20 kg of milk per person, up to 20 kg of meat/poultry per person (can be frozen or fresh), up to 20 kg of fresh veggies per person (just restrictions on apples and potatoes into BC), up to 15 cans of fruit per person, etc etc.

I haven't couponed in the US other than using ones readily available in store. Some items (like milk) are just so much cheaper in the US that it is a deal in and of itself! Other stuff is the same price as here. Now that I am starting to coupon here I think I will start trying to collect coupons for the US.

Good luck - it is fun to go down even just for the variety. I mainly go for some products that we like that are not available here.
    a dozen eggs = 89cent at my local US store. the sucky thing with milk is you can't buy it in a bag.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I want to do a coupon trip to the states, any suggestions on how i would go about getting coupons for the states?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Limits are:

$50 if your stay is more than 24 hours, but less than 48.
    $400 if your stay is more than 48 hours but less than seven days
    $700 if your stay is more than 7 days.

Outside those limits, they have the right to charge you for taxes/duties. Most times, if they don't, it's because they can't be bothered for one reason or another.

Even if you do have to pay taxes, the prices are so much better in the US that it's still cheaper than what you would have paid here. It's still a good idea to keep your receipts as proof of what you paid.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

ya how do you get coupons for groceries in the states? I'd like to make a trip sometime this month... thanks

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    Limits are:

$50 if your stay is more than 24 hours, but less than 48.
    $400 if your stay is more than 48 hours but less than seven days
    $700 if your stay is more than 7 days.

Outside those limits, they have the right to charge you for taxes/duties. Most times, if they don't, it's because they can't be bothered for one reason or another.

Even if you do have to pay taxes, the prices are so much better in the US that it's still cheaper than what you would have paid here. It's still a good idea to keep your receipts as proof of what you paid.
    but they only charge you tax on stuff that is taxable. groceries are not taxable. and not a lot of stuff has duty anymore.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I posted the wording and limits from the official web site, and whateve you do, be truthfull.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm an American, my boyfriend is Canadian - it truly does depend on the guard you get. Couponing here in the states can be great with the deals you can get. I always recommend having your receipt on hand. Stay within your limits on dairy, alcohol, and tobacco - and the rest is usually considered fine.

Also, as far as stores... I highly recommend if you are close enough to travel over the borders, CVS and Walgreens are two great stores because they both offer a rewards program (register rewards - like extra money in your pocket) on certain items (you can always check their online flyer ahead of time).

You can stack coupons at Walgreens, always remember if you have a BOGO sale you can still use a BOGO coupon and get all items for free (not sure how it works in Canada), and if you use a BOGO coupon on a regular or sale item - you can use an additional manufacture coupon. --Side note: CVS and Target will both offer a small reward for using reusuable bags.

Grocery Stores vary from region to region, out my way the main three are Pick n Save, Dominicks, and Jewel. Pick N Save is the only one out this way that doubles coupons, they do so on Wed and Saturday.

With the right sales and the right coupons, you can walk out with a lot of stuff at a fab price. Best of luck on your shopping here in the states!
    Last edited by CanadiansUSGF; Thu, Jun 2nd, 2011 at 11:48 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessCoupon View Post
    but they only charge you tax on stuff that is taxable. groceries are not taxable. and not a lot of stuff has duty anymore.
    But how likely is someone vacationing in the US for seven days only going to back with basic groceries? Seems like the perfect opportunity to grab bargains on other stuff.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

I didn't read the one week part. if that's the case, you give them your grand total and then say "but $xxx is grocery"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information