User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Anyone in and around Montreal go for recycle walks or dumpster diving?? I tried to convince my husband to do a recycle walk with me last week... and he was pretty horrified by the thought!!

I'd love some tips on where to go... or some great stories that you guys have!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

I'm going to be trying for the first time tomorrow in Westmount. But I have the feeling that this isn't the best location :S

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

I 've done it on the West Island,i will go to the apartment buildings and search the Blue Bins
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by YOU AND ME View Post
    I 've done it on the West Island,i will go to the apartment buildings and search the Blue Bins
    Where in the west island do you go? I'm often in beaconsfield, but there's not many apartment buildings around there... have you had any success at all?

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

I only search the top portion of the bin,i've found cereal boxes with the FPC.Stouffers pin ,i-coke pins.Last week when i went out an old man was looking for bottles,he said that this was his area,i told him man you can have it i'm only looking for couponsI think he thought i was after his bottles LOL

Sguyot,i live in Pierrefonds sometimes i will do DDO.It was a lot easier before we got the big bins you can only search the topsas they are big bins
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Rebuilding my stock pile!
    Trading Score
    49 (100%)

I did my first last night! I live in Longueuil, and I walked about 2 blocks to some apartment buildings. I found 2X FPC from cereal boxes, $12 in Glad coupons, and $1.15 in bottles! I am more than pleased with this walk!

I am going to be doing this every 2 weeks (recycling day!)

I suggest hitting the apartment buildings since there were like 8 bins all lined up beside each other, it was a huge time saver. Also, I feel like less people are watching since there are less windows and they're busier streets.

Brings scissors to cut the coupons off the boxes of cereal.
    Also a reusable bag so pile everything into.

Good luck!

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sammmmmmm View Post
    I did my first last night! I live in Longueuil, and I walked about 2 blocks to some apartment buildings. I found 2X FPC from cereal boxes, $12 in Glad coupons, and $1.15 in bottles! I am more than pleased with this walk!

I suggest hitting the apartment buildings since there were like 8 bins all lined up beside each other, it was a huge time saver. Also, I feel like less people are watching since there are less windows and they're busier streets.

Good luck!
    You are so much braver than me!!! We live two streets appart and I don't think I will ever feel confortable to do it. When the recycle bin were much smaller (I mean the open green bin) maybe but now with the big blue bin... don't think so
    Hi! I'm a shopaholic... hum no, scratch that, I'm a dealaholic!!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm cheap (or frugal or cost cautious, call it what you want) for reasons of my own but this is where I draw the line.

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

i won't do this for coupons and don't dive but I do take furniture occasionally or books from recycling bins....only stuff that is clean (not padded like mattresses due to bedbugs).

My grandfather in law....a real cheap quebecois he dumpster dives and swears by canadian tire and pharmaprix. Canadian tire was pursuing him actually so know there are cameras and they track licence numbers. They throw away every floor model of everything so he just can't see it all go to waste. I think it's funny. I would love to see a Quebec judge do anything but laugh at an 80 year old who climbs in dumpsters to prevent waste, but i wouldn't go the same repeatedly if you want to try it. I think my grandfather in law has a restraining order against him for his favorite canadian tire. I personally wouldn't jump over fences or into dumpsters but I do think canadian tire is missing the boat not donating floor models atleast to charity...to each his own.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    95 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinatou View Post
    i won't do this for coupons and don't dive but I do take furniture occasionally or books from recycling bins....only stuff that is clean (not padded like mattresses due to bedbugs).

My grandfather in law....a real cheap quebecois he dumpster dives and swears by canadian tire and pharmaprix. Canadian tire was pursuing him actually so know there are cameras and they track licence numbers. They throw away every floor model of everything so he just can't see it all go to waste. I think it's funny. I would love to see a Quebec judge do anything but laugh at an 80 year old who climbs in dumpsters to prevent waste, but i wouldn't go the same repeatedly if you want to try it. I think my grandfather in law has a restraining order against him for his favorite canadian tire. I personally wouldn't jump over fences or into dumpsters but I do think canadian tire is missing the boat not donating floor models atleast to charity...to each his own.
    I can't even imagine why they would pursue that. Someone in management MUST realise that one man's junk is another man's treasure. Like you said, why throw it out and not give it to charity at least???

The only thing better than saving money is VOLLEYBALL!!!

Trading Score
    19 (95%)

Quote Originally Posted by sammmmmmm View Post

Good luck!
    Hey sammmmmm I'll go with you one day if you want.. It should be a fun thing to do..My hubby will really fall on his but..
    Earn free points, get a chance to win a great contest.. Follow this link it's worth you time I swear

Or this link as well for Quebec residents..Free GC and more..

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I'm really on the fence about recycle-walking.
    It would be so easy for me. So many little green bins in my neighborhood.
    On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it... for many reasons.
    I suppose if the moment was right, and there was a shiny untouched P&G or Redplum staring up at me... then maybe. Maybe. If no one was looking.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinatou View Post

I had heard of a colleague's friend who used to go dumpster diving at Costco. He said that he would take the stuff and sell it at flea markets afterward.

But good to know that they have cameras, definitely less tempting now!

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

I would not do it on my street. Plus, we have the big closed bins...

But I'm sooo jealous of the people who are doing it. Maybe if Candiac had small green bins, open so easy to look inside???

I'm curently eyeing the back parking of a dépanneur with a nice row of blue bins. OMG, I sound like either a nut, or a thief. Or a nutty thief (says my DH).

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

We have the large closed bins here too and, well, the houses are too far apart so it'd take me forever, lol. Don't think I'd be able to muster courage to look into the bins anyways. I used to get really paranoid when I saw folk looking through our recycling box where we used to live (that's before I started couponing)...I never really knew what they were looking for so I was kinda suspicious .

A little story...my older son always used to take the dogs out for walks on Thursday nights. I could never figure out why that particular night of the week but, he always went out, regardless of the weather. Unbeknownst to me, he was collecting i-coke points and aeroplan miles from recycling boxes. I only found out about it when he came home one night asking if he could go to Calgary (we didn't know anyone there) as he had collected just enough miles to fly there and back again...he was 16 at the time, lol.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information