User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I wouldn't consider using Air Miles for anything other than air tickets in the province -
    from our place, a flight to YVR can run up to $550; we can get the tickets for 950AM + $140taxes (low season) -> obscene 0.43/AM. Better yet, using the BMO Gold AM, another 25% off... [and AM web site makes it easy to actually find tickets - I have to get 4 for the family!]
    Two ways to look at it: outrageous Air Canada ticket prices - or really useful AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

sucks !

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    28 (94%)

flights are the best option...when in BC

Ontario feel lucky you can collect @ LCBO!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BCCouponClipper View Post
    Ontario feel lucky you can collect @ LCBO!
    Yes, it is cool-they have been running this bonus points promo and I have gotten some great extra points in the last little while as we entertain alot and I buy wine every two weeks or so. Certianly not as good as Safeway but every little bit helps. I am TRYING to save for Disneyland California tix!

I'm here for the Survivor Pool

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Flights are good value if you're traveling from smaller regional airports but from main airports like Vancouver to Toronto the values can drop to around to around $0.10/AM.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Considering it is a free program I choose to be grateful for what I get.
    My mother never had such programs available to her during my youth.
    She did however clip the coupons thru the flyers...
    $o.48 per OLD SPICE deoderant was my deal of the week.

Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by carlyincanada View Post
    Oh no!! Glad I ordered 2x $20 shell gas & 2x $6 car washes....& got them just before the mail strike!!!
    Same here.. I also cashed in 2x$20 shell gas...just before the strike got it too..

Free Amazon Gift Cards/Paypal $$ -Join Swagbucks now!! Get $50/month just by searching .. Message me for tips

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Naanu

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Oh no!! Glad I ordered 2x $20 shell gas & 2x $6 car washes....& got them just before the mail strike!!!
    They weren't affected by the increase. Same as before. In fact the $20 gift certificate, which used to be the worst offer, now has a better exchange rate ($0.1143) than the rest of the cards which come in at $0.11.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I just ordered my favourite gift card (via rail, take the train a lot) before its value goes up...and I stopped my automatic exchange of HBC rewards to AM. A few of the posters mentioned waiting until the strike was over - I'm not sure why though, its up to air miles to get it to us regardless of the strike, and they usually take a few weeks anyhow to arrive. If you have the points and want to spend them, I wouldn't wait until the strike is over and take the chance that the value will change.
    I did the math and right now you have to spend $3500 at Metro to earn enough air miles to redeem for a $20 Metro GC....crazy...this doesn't count bonus AM, so to be fair it will be less than that, but not by a lot. Without any bonus points, shoppers gives you about 3x this back, and they have so many promotions and bonus point offers it is even that much higher.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Bee,

Here in Western Canada (and Thunder Bay) we have Safeway which gives tremendous amounts of AirMiles. Even though Safeway is higher priced using coupons and manufacturers bonus offers on sale we sometimes get products and make a small profit at the same time. Better than free. We get paid to shop in effect. I'll spend $100 this week and anticipate picking up 500-600AMs with a value of $55 - $66 on average (but as I exchange for Best Western Gift Cards it'll be about $70 - $80 to me).

Often I shop for the Food Bank and with the AirMiles and tax donation receipt I make a profit. Food Bank wins and I win.

This blows away SDM or any other points program out here.

Unfortunately you don't have Safeway your way.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

[QUOTE=bee4256;3548615]A few of the posters mentioned waiting until the strike was over - I'm not sure why though, its up to air miles to get it to us regardless of the strike, and they usually take a few weeks anyhow to arrive. QUOTE]

Air Miles is in the same boat as EVERYONE else in Canada with this strike, so whether you think they have to get it to us regardless is kinda silly because not one person can get anything to anybody else in the country because of the strike. If it were an electronic gift card, then yes they still should get it to you, but when it's something that has to come in the mail then I don't think it's fair that you made such comments.

I'm waiting on a cheque from cancelling my life insurance policy and in no way am I holding the company responsible for getting my $$ to me even though Canada Post is on strike. IMHO

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by operabob View Post
    Last I looked the BW Card was still exchangeable at a rate of $0.133/AM which was and still is one of the better ones.

After the raise I converted for about $1,000 worth of cards.

If you use BW regularly the value is even higher than that as:

1. BW often has Free Night offers such as the Stay3GetaFRee Night that is on until Aug. 14. The free night will probably be good until around Dec. 31. As I will use this offer naturally it boosts my value by a third to $0.177/AM.

NOTE: Staying 2 nights in a row counts as one stay I believe. To get around this I book 2 separate nights in a row one right after the other. The CSes I've talked to at BW also suggest checking out at the desk after the first night and checking back in to make sure it goes through. (CS people at BW are among the best out there in my experience).

2. BW also kicks in 20 AMs per visit as well. However, currently they have an offer on where you get 60/visit. Regardless, this boosts the value to me above $0.18/AM. I'll be staying 3 nights during the period so I'll pick up an extra 180 AMs approx. value = $19.80 ($23.94 at BW though).

3. As I often use BW for business purposes and use AMs from my personal accounts to purchase the GCs I get to write the value off against taxes as well.

Finally,

Right now BW has an offer on GCs: B$100G100AMs as many as you want. I'll probably buy at least another $400 worth for non business stays for 400AMs = $44 ($53.20 at BW).

BW GCs can also be used in the restaurants and bars of the hotel.
    But you would have got the bonus airmiles even if you had paid with Cash rather than Gift Cards. I dont really see how it improves the point return.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

It improves it because I wouldn't have stayed in the first place other than I'm using AirMiles I didn't pay for from donating goods to the Food Bank.

I have often been able to get $1.40 in value for $1 spent.

Colgate toothpaste has been a recent example a couple of times.
    Last edited by operabob; Tue, Jun 21st, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Actually, I'll make it simpler.

It takes 750 AMs to buy a $100 BW GC.

That means the actual real calculable value is $100/750AMs = $0.133/AM

The BW I stay at most often costs me about $90 after taxes. We'll say $100 for example's sake.

For actually staying there they kick back 20 AMs so the true exchange rate could be considered to be 750-20 = 730.

That means the rate is now $100/730 AMs = $0.137/AM. It's been boosted.

But as they're kicking back 60 AMs at the moment effectively the card cost 750 - 60 = 690.

That means the real calculable rate on the gift card is now $100/690 AMs = $0.145/AM.

The value of each Airmile to purchase that card has been effectively boosted from $0.133 to $0.145 an increase of 9%.
    OB

Who Says Men Can't Shop!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by operabob View Post
    Bee,

Here in Western Canada (and Thunder Bay) we have Safeway which gives tremendous amounts of AirMiles. Even though Safeway is higher priced using coupons and manufacturers bonus offers on sale we sometimes get products and make a small profit at the same time. Better than free. We get paid to shop in effect. I'll spend $100 this week and anticipate picking up 500-600AMs with a value of $55 - $66 on average

Wow!!!! That is awesome! I thought I did well spending 60 today at metro and getting 65 AM!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information