User Tag List

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I just found out that my sister-in-law is having her first baby!

I would love to get her a "baby's first year" journal, organizer, and/or calendar. Maybe something that could also hold info re: baby's check-ups, immunizations, etc. I live in a small town and would likely have to purchase it online. Can anyone recommend their favorite journal/organizer? My sister-in-law is not the frilly type and is not into scrap booking, so the simpler, the better. *L*

Also, if you had to name your top one or two "couldn't live without" baby books (re: childcare, what to expect, tips, etc), what would they be?

Thanks for your suggestions!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Hallmark usually has a good selection for those type books. Or maybe even Chapters. This is not baby book related but here's an idea for you. The day the baby is born, save the newspaper. I did for my girls and I'll give it to them when they have their first child. It's neat, years later to see what was going on in your hometown and world wide the day you were born. Although it's easy enough to look that stuff up online now, having the paper is different. I wish I had thought to also keep flyers. They would get a kick out of seeing what we paid for stuff back then.
    "Never will you get a better psychological subject than a hungry cat" Dr. E. Thorndike
    "Never ask a hungry cat whether he loves you for you alone" L. Camuti

mle
    Female
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Congratulations

While the journal a nice idea, with the life of a new mom I can only imagine how busy she must be. I know that as much as I would want something like that, I'm not sure it would ever get used. It might be a better idea to give her something a little more practical if she's that kind of mom. Or maybe something sentimental that she is more likely to use, like a picture frame or an engraved jewellery/keepsake box.

Chapters/Indigo may have some nice ones. They have a variety of agendas and things like that. Check homesense and winners as well- they always have great stationary there for great prices. Maybe even a photo album. I was going to recommend moleskine notebooks but a chemical in their covers apparently has a cancer warning or something so I would not recommend that to anyone pregnant! Shame, they do look lovely.

EDIT: Like I said, the regular moleskine notebooks have a warning about possible cancer causing ingredients. however, paper backed and other certain kinds are not. If the amazon page says "prop 95" warning you'll know.
    Last edited by mle; Fri, Jun 17th, 2011 at 04:26 PM.

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mle View Post
    Congratulations

While the journal a nice idea, with the life of a new mom I can only imagine how busy she must be. I know that as much as I would want something like that, I'm not sure it would ever get used. It might be a better idea to give her something a little more practical if she's that kind of mom. Or maybe something sentimental that she is more likely to use, like a picture frame or an engraved jewellery/keepsake box.

But if you're really stuck on the journal idea I've always enjoyed moleskine products: http://www.moleskine.com/
    They have a variety of quality journals, organizers, and sketchbooks that are bound in a variety of plain colour or simple covers. You might be able to find them in a local art store or order them online, but I don't believe you can order them off the website. They even have a specific baby journal, or you can opt for a plain one:
    http://www.moleskine.com/catalogue/c...by_journal.php
    I have to be honest, I received one as a gift, and I've never opened it I feel guilty every time the person who gave it to me asks me about it.

In the way of books, if she is planning on breastfeeding I highly recommend Dr. Newman's Guide To Breastfeeding. I never would have survived the first couple of weeks without it.

The best gift I received (and it's gonna sound stupid) is a medical kit that had all types of different medicine droppers, a nasal aspirator, etc. It was by Nuby.

Another item that got a ton of use was one of those vibrating bouncy chairs.

Sorry to go off topic on you

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I appreciate your input as clearly, I don't have children of my own. *L* I never would have thought to save the newspapers from the day the baby is born, that is a great idea. I will keep my eyes peeled for the other books and items you have mentioned, too.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyLaeticia View Post
    In the way of books, if she is planning on breastfeeding I highly recommend Dr. Newman's Guide To Breastfeeding. I never would have survived the first couple of weeks without it.
    I particularly like this suggestion. My mom breastfed all 6 of us, my mom is full of information, but books and breastfeeding support is always a good thing.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

With my first, I had the baby book it's 3/4 filled out but with big chunks missing, my second child, the first page was filled out but not much else, by the third child I gave up on the book and just used the family calendar and marked down all the firsts on the day and kept the whole calendar. I found this the best because I was always at the calendar anyways writing down appts, times,etc... so it was easy to just jot down whatever first for that day, first food, first smile in her column.
    Another idea is a memory jar, (or other large container) with a pad of note paper and nice pen. she can keep it in a convienent place and just jot down any baby info (dr stats, firsts, special moment...) and through it in the jar. Then in later years its fun to just reach your hand in and pull out a paper and remember back.

Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I bought these two books for myself and they are very easy to fill in and are really great. They match too and are unisex and I have received nothing but compliments from my friends who look at them. Plus, they are fairly cheap (I bought them on amazon.com) and the Belly book and Baby book have room for a lot of extra things too. Take a look and see what you think. The belly book is here and the baby book is here. The other thing I liked about this particular series of belly/baby books is that they have the birthday book (for up to 18 years!) and a grandparent book that go with them as well.

I have asked for a breastfeeding book as well and What to Expect: First Year.

Congrats on being an aunt! Hope that helps!
    "Call it magic, call it true/I call it magic when I'm with you" - Coldplay, Magic

Thread Information