User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Both my local Sobeys & Metro are already 24 hrs open ..now even Loblaws is going to be open 24 hrs ...I shop often at night ..sometimes you get really good deals at night especially on some deli & bakery products as they don't want them to be kept for longer than 24 hrs

Check your local Loblaws if its going to be 24 hrs ..there is also a list posted somewhere & they have signs at the entrance of the stores which are going to be 24 hrs

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...163002323.html

Loblaw is following the overnight path set by its competitors by turning some of its stores into 24-hour operations.

The food retailer previously refrained from catering to customers all night long.
    But with an increased number of locations of nationwide, rival Sobeys catering to nocturnal aisle-surfers, along with several other regional competitors, few in the grocery business seem to want to risk falling asleep anymore.

During the past few years, the registers never stopped ringing at some of the Loblaw-owned Real Canadian Superstores in the two or three weeks leading up to Christmas. Walmart first experimented with 24-hour holiday season openings in 2006, and has expanded the number of participating annual locations since.

While critics have charged large stores don't need to be open overnight, retailers inevitably say locations have to keep their lights on for stocking and cleaning, and the extra hours just require hiring another cashier or two.

Plus, an increased number of shift workers have appreciated the convenience of being able to fill their carts at any time of day.

Still, the move hasn't always been so simple. Loblaw negotiated with the United Food and Commercial Workers union last fall for a new deal in Ontario that included the right to operate its stores 24/7. Online postings noted the first of these in Toronto and Ottawa over the weekend.

Not every place in Canada is open to the idea of large retailers that never lock their doors, though.

Sunday shopping limitations have continued to force weekend overnight closings in some provinces. And a few cities evidently still have bylaws that indicate the earliest and latest times in which most stores can sell merchandise to the public.

Pressure to allow around the clock openings recently mounted in Hamilton, Ont. Big-box retailers, which aren't allowed to open between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m., have complained business is being lost to neighbouring municipalities.

Hamilton TV station CHCH, incidentally, announced it will premiere Canada's first live TV morning news show with a 4 a.m. start time this fall.

(Reuters Photo)
    This thread is currently associated with: Loblaws, Metro, Sobeys, Walmart
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Wed, Jun 22nd, 2011 at 04:51 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Some 24 hr stores listed below .. more to follow

Quote Originally Posted by jazzlo View Post

Good News- Loblaws has recently added more 24 hrs stores- full list of stores below

Leslie & Lakeshore
    Vanier Market
    Victoria Park Market
    Dupont & Christie
    College Square Market
    Burnhamthorpe Market
    Queens Quay Market
    Kanata
    Bayview & Moore
    Rideau & Nelson
    South Keys
    Yonge & Yonge
    Forest Hill Market

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

http://www.canadiangrocer.com/top-st...al-cities-7707

Loblaw to open 24 hr stores in several cities

By Canadian Grocer | June 20, 2011

Loblaw will turn some of its stores into 24-hour operations to compete with other retailers like Sobeys who are operating overnight in some locations.

“In order to accommodate our customer’s needs, select stores, including Loblaws and Zehrs are open 24 hours,” said Julija Hunter, vice-president of public relations, Loblaw.

It’s not a completely new venture for the retailer. In the past few years, Real Canadian Superstores were open 24 hours in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

In 2006, Wal-Mart was the first to offer 24 hour holiday hours, and since then has expanded the overnight hours to other locations.

While some charge that retailers don’t need to be open 24/7, retailers say that lights are kept on anyways to stock shelves and clean.

With the increasing number of shift workers in cities across Canada, the convenience of 24-hour shopping opportunities makes sense.

Last fall, Loblaw and the United Food and Commercial Workers union agreed on a new deal in Ontario that included 24-hour stores.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

As a nocturnal, late night shopping is always a great time for me to go! Can't wait.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Loblaws will probably convert stores to 24 hours based on their proximity to Sobey's and Walmart Super Stores. Looks like Loblaws is preparing for the U.S. based stores that have announced that they are moving north to Canada.

Thanks for the post.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Almost always on a regular basis I get bread , dinner rolls etc @ Sobeys for 50 % OFF ( yellow stickered ) when I go there at around 11.00 PM or so ..this is there in house store baked bread I am talking about .

I also get some good deals in Metro @ Night if they have stuff left over at their deli like cooked BBQ Chicken etc ...they even announce at my METRO sometimes at night ( around 11.00 PM or so ) that the deli is closing down for the night so come and get everything for 50 % OFF ( rest of the store is still open 24 hrs )

Hopefully Loblaws will have some good deals at night .. more pink stickered items etc

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I think it makes sense ..as the stores are open at night anyways for the cleaning crews , stockboys etc .

My 24 hr Sobeys has 1 cashier at the till after 11.00 PM ( which is more than enought ) ..and they have 2-3 stockboy's stocking shelves , skids etc at night ...& maybe an assistant manager or somryhing like that .

So they only have about 5 people or so from 11.00 PM - 7.00 AM ..but they do good business at night ..so they are still fairly profitable at night ..its a good from the business point of view .

I see lot of shift worker's & even young people hanging around the mall at night who come in 2 grab a few things to eat

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

That would be awesome in quebec(drummondville) oh well we can dream...

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I still don't understand what kind of people would go shopping say 2-3 in the morning.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I doubt we will get one, they changed Metro back to 7-11 instead of 24 hours and Sobeys is horrible to shop in late at night as the loss prevention guy follows you the whole time
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by EdLeafs View Post
    I still don't understand what kind of people would go shopping say 2-3 in the morning.
    Me.

I work overnights - I grocery shop on my lunch break on the rare occasion.

When I'm on a 'day' off I don't switch around to a daytime schedule so I will also go out and do stuff during the hours I'm awake - thank goodness for Shoppers, Metro, etc.
    I'm always open to trading for pet product coupons (especially free products and high value coupons) - I donate these items to shelters and rescue groups.
    My motivation - My Dog. Read his story here: www.freewebs.com/michelle_and_dinglehopper

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

me too sometimes I shop during my late night lunch break..what else are you gonna do for a lunch break at 2am..lol...wish my Superstore was on the list..here's hoping

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by EdLeafs View Post
    There are lot of shift worker's who shop at night .

There are transit worker's ( bus driver's , subway driver's etc ) , cab driver's , cops , paramedics , nurses , factory worker's ..even employees of other service sector's like McDonald's , Pizza Pizza , Block Buster , Cineplex movie theatres , restaurant worker's etc who have really late night shift's ..even if their location is not 24 hrs they will get off at 1.00 - 2.00 AM in the morning ..they will generally shop on their way home ..

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

and people who can't stand shopping when there are screaming kids running all around the store
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    297 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    and people who can't stand shopping when there are screaming kids running all around the store
    =====================

That would be me!!!!

Our Sobeys was open 24hrs but now closes at 11pm or midnight! Due to plant closures so not as much business!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information