User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Diabetics who shop SDM...Do you get points on your supplies?

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

For SDM shoppers who are diabetic and buy supplies without prescription, do you get Optimum points on your purchases?
    Stuff like strips, syringes, insulin?
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

Please visit our beautiful Ragdoll Cats and Kittens @ www.lionsroyale.com

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I buy my dh the needle tips for the pen and yes I get points ... always buy on 20x day or redeem my points for them on bonus redemption day.

I can't say about the other supplies - but you would think they would be too. Everything else is covered under a drug plan for my dh.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jokm1234 View Post
    I buy my dh the needle tips for the pen and yes I get points ... always buy on 20x day or redeem my points for them on bonus redemption day.

I can't say about the other supplies - but you would think they would be too. Everything else is covered under a drug plan for my dh.
    OK, thanks!
    I called SDM about it so I could get great deals tomorrow and mega points. But they weren't sure! Maybe. It should be. LOL Those were the answers I got.
    I have a backup shopping list anyhow so if it's not, I will use COUPONS! lol

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yep, I get optimum points for all my insulin, syringes, test strips, infusion sets, etc. And, of course, I do this on the 20x the points days. Sometimes I have to go to a few different shoppers to get my insulin as I only use Humalog and they will only give 4 boxes at a time at some but it's worth stocking up. Obviously tons of points on these days. I guess having this disease does have one perk
    kidsteph likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by snowy713 View Post
    Yep, I get optimum points for all my insulin, syringes, test strips, infusion sets, etc. And, of course, I do this on the 20x the points days. Sometimes I have to go to a few different shoppers to get my insulin as I only use Humalog and they will only give 4 boxes at a time at some but it's worth stocking up. Obviously tons of points on these days. I guess having this disease does have one perk
    I agree - I hate having Type 1 diabetes, but really do clean up on the SDM points. I buy my insulin, test strips, infusion sets and reservoirs (insulin pump) supplies only on 20x point days and earn 20*$7200*10 = 1.44 million points per year. I have cashed in on numerous cameras, about 6 Nintendo DSs, about 5 phones, etc. etc.

Pump supplies are covered by the Ministry of Health assistive devices program ($2400 per year) and the rest are covered 100% by my workplace drug plan.

I order the supplies on 20X point days (since I buy 10 insulin vials and 10 test strips, I pay on 20X day and get them to order, so as not to leave them short for other customers). You don't need a prescription to get insulin and supplies in Canada, but you do need a prescription to get reimbursed thru a drug benefit co.

I get the pharmacist to write me up a receipt, which I submit (along with a copy of my dr's prescription) to my benefit co. for full reimbursement. I get reimbursed before my VISA bill comes in, so all is great.

Perhaps you can do as I do and order up your insulin on 20X days and pick up the following week. I don't like to leave them low on supplies so I am agreeable to picking them up the following week.
    Last edited by kidsteph; Fri, Jul 1st, 2011 at 10:37 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

"I get the pharmacist to write me up a receipt, which I submit (along with a copy of my dr's prescription) to my benefit co. for full reimbursement."

Doh!! kidsteph!!...thats what I have been missing !!...the Dr`s script...now I haven`t seen a script for my supplies in ages...does anyone know if SDM has it on file and could I get a copy from them? Or does it need a current date from the Dr ?
    I currently get points only on my pump supplies 20*3000*10....$2400 from the province $600 top up from my wife`s plan...my plan doesnt cover adults.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
    I have nothing to do today and hope to be half done by noon.

Hollyhill
    Trading Score
    357 (100%)

It depends on what province you are in..

In BC you can not get 20X the points on diabetic supplies, I sure wish we could...
    Looking for: Yogurt (FPCs)

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

You guys are AWESOME! I had no idea I could be getting points for these supplies. They are more expensive than Costco pharmacy but it sure makes sense to buy when you get the 20x or when we get over 18000 points for $75. LOL
    Yippeeeeee!!
    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on this.
    Everything I get is out of pocket. No reimbursement from drug plans etc. Oh well.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I know my sister and her husband do this for her husband's pump supplies! 20x the points is a good deal, might as well get something when you're spending so much!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Holly I would ask a couple of others because my sis is in BC and she gets points on hers.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

We were buying the pump supplies for my son from Diabetes Express.com, and it was cheaper (by about $46.00 for 2 months), but the 20X points certainly make it worth while buying from SDM. We continue to get the insulin and teststrips thru Walmart as we are under a program there and we don't pay for them. Our SDM pharmasist has been great! When we need more supplies, we just have to give him 2 days notice and they can get them in for us. Wonderful service for this!

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Thanks a bunch for all the info. I went today and got test strips and the MEGA bonus points. Now I'll be sure to watch for the 20x days and buy supplies!

Hollyhill
    Trading Score
    357 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tidytaurus View Post
    Holly I would ask a couple of others because my sis is in BC and she gets points on hers.
    It only works if it is non prescription. So you pay for your supplies as a non prescription. But then it does not go towards your Pharmacare Minimum, and you can not send in the receipt for reimbursement.

I know because I went over this with the SDM Pharmacist, three different times. So for me it would mean paying %100 out of pocket for the whole year instead of half the year.

I do get the dextrose and lancets on 20X days because they don't get covered by pharmacare anyways...
    Looking for: Yogurt (FPCs)

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was just at Shoppers Drug Mart today at about 4 o'clock this afternoon, to get in on the deal "if you spend $75 or more get 18,500 points" as of June 29 - July 3.
    I needed to get my insulin, which I started to get exclusively from Shoppers, ever since they had the Optimum Rewards program so I would routinely get large number of points worth a good deal of free supplies by the end of the year, worth at least three or four bottles of insulin (FREE!!) each year. HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS!!!
    As of a last week Shoppers Drug Mart, NO LONGER GIVES POINTS ON INSULIN!!!!!!!! When I complained to the pharmacist, he checked with the manager on staff and she checked the employee website and printed off the exclusions list for Optimum members which included insulin. She told me to call the Optimum phone number (1-800-SHOPPERs or 1-800-746-7737 in Ontario) and when I did, the woman I talked to, was unsure of what was on the exclusion list for points she went off the line and checked. When she came back she said yes, that was correct, BY LAW, they can no longer offer points due to the fact that the Ontario government guidelines consider the "points" as equal to a cash value, and can't be given for insulin products. This means that I didn't spend any were near enough to get the 18,500 points.
    As I see it, the number of hours that I work and only at minimum wage, pretty much all my money goes to my diabeteic needs, with little left over, with no benifits any longer of getting ANYTHING free with the rewards program, I really have no reason to shop there any longer due to the governments interference. Since I find that Shoppers product pricing is somewhat higher due to the fact they give points, I am better off shopping elsewhere to save money, as I will never get enough points anymore if my largest expenses come from my diabetes and no longer qualify.
    If anyone else has stummbled upon this and are as frustrated as I am over the government screwing us over again, chime in, and maybe let me know where I can go to log a complaint to the Ontario government over this since this seriously costs me more now, without getting freebies. Why would the government meddle with such a requirement NOW, when they haven't done so before now?? It makes no sense!? I'm just the little guy and have enough trouble making ends meet, yet the government seems to want to make more difficult. That's just my rantting right now since I'm so frustrated at the moment.
    I tried Googling this but got no hits on a Ontario site that could give me a reason as to the new change. Anyone out there have a clue as to where to go?
    Please help!
    Craig.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Craigers4 View Post
    I was just at Shoppers Drug Mart today at about 4 o'clock this afternoon, to get in on the deal "if you spend $75 or more get 18,500 points" as of June 29 - July 3.
    I needed to get my insulin, which I started to get exclusively from Shoppers, ever since they had the Optimum Rewards program so I would routinely get large number of points worth a good deal of free supplies by the end of the year, worth at least three or four bottles of insulin (FREE!!) each year. HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS!!!
    As of a last week Shoppers Drug Mart, NO LONGER GIVES POINTS ON INSULIN!!!!!!!! When I complained to the pharmacist, he checked with the manager on staff and she checked the employee website and printed off the exclusions list for Optimum members which included insulin. She told me to call the Optimum phone number (1-800-SHOPPERs or 1-800-746-7737 in Ontario) and when I did, the woman I talked to, was unsure of what was on the exclusion list for points she went off the line and checked. When she came back she said yes, that was correct, BY LAW, they can no longer offer points due to the fact that the Ontario government guidelines consider the "points" as equal to a cash value, and can't be given for insulin products. This means that I didn't spend any were near enough to get the 18,500 points.
    As I see it, the number of hours that I work and only at minimum wage, pretty much all my money goes to my diabeteic needs, with little left over, with no benifits any longer of getting ANYTHING free with the rewards program, I really have no reason to shop there any longer due to the governments interference. Since I find that Shoppers product pricing is somewhat higher due to the fact they give points, I am better off shopping elsewhere to save money, as I will never get enough points anymore if my largest expenses come from my diabetes and no longer qualify.
    If anyone else has stummbled upon this and are as frustrated as I am over the government screwing us over again, chime in, and maybe let me know where I can go to log a complaint to the Ontario government over this since this seriously costs me more now, without getting freebies. Why would the government meddle with such a requirement NOW, when they haven't done so before now?? It makes no sense!? I'm just the little guy and have enough trouble making ends meet, yet the government seems to want to make more difficult. That's just my rantting right now since I'm so frustrated at the moment.
    I tried Googling this but got no hits on a Ontario site that could give me a reason as to the new change. Anyone out there have a clue as to where to go?
    Please help!
    Craig.
    My last order of insulin was in early June and I got the points. Actually the shoppers optimum program always said that insulin was not eligible, so I have been surprised to get points all along.

Do you get points for buying test strips?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information