User Tag List

Fast Saver
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Thought i'd do a quick review on the Hawaiian Tropic Sunscreen since a lot of people are probably planning on getting it at Dollarama.

I usually use Life Brand Sunscreen because of the scent. I love the scent of sunscreen, and I spent quite a while in Shoppers last summer smelling every single one- and this was the only one with a true sunscreen scent. It works quite well, but figured I'd try Hawaiian Tropic for a buck!

Its pretty thick and almost sticky when you first apply it, but in no time absorbs in your skin and leaves almost a powdery finish. It feels dry vs the Life brand feeling a tad greasy and oily.

For scent wise- its not as strong as a typical sunscreen, which is great for those non sunscreen scent lovers! Its the regular sunscreen scent with a bit of coconut and hawaii flowers. Not floral, but more of a soft scent.

Only SPF 30, so still got a nice tan, but didn't burn.

On a side note- I hated the cap, if you leave it open while applying sunscreen some oozes out of the bottle. Not a huge issue if you stand it upside down, but just watch out if you lay it on it's side when the cap is open.

Hello Sun!
    This thread is currently associated with: Dollarama, Shoppers Drug Mart

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by collegesavings View Post
    Snip/

Its pretty thick and almost sticky when you first apply it, but in no time absorbs in your skin and leaves almost a powdery finish. It feels dry vs the Life brand feeling a tad greasy and oily.

/Snip
    Hello Sun!
    This is exactly why I stick with Hawaiin Tropic. It really isn't greasy! I have never been able to find a reasonably cheap sunscreen that dries as nicely as HT. I can actually use this one on my face

Fast Saver
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Copasetic View Post
    This is exactly why I stick with Hawaiin Tropic. It really isn't greasy! I have never been able to find a reasonably cheap sunscreen that dries as nicely as HT. I can actually use this one on my face
    They have a special face one, but I havent tried it yet, dont want to spend the money
    Do you use the regular one on your face? I have sensitive/oily skin. I find the less I put on my face the better it looks. Hopefully I wont have wrinkles later on in life from all my sun exposure Looking for a hat, but there aren't many for guys!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

They have a special face one, but I havent tried it yet, dont want to spend the money
    Do you use the regular one on your face? I have sensitive/oily skin. I find the less I put on my face the better it looks. Hopefully I wont have wrinkles later on in life from all my sun exposure Looking for a hat, but there aren't many for guys!
    I saw the special face one, but I don't want to spend the money either. Maybe I'll get it if it goes on sale.

The regular one is great for my face because my skin tends towards the dry side, but if I was oily I probably wouldn't put it on my face. There are mineral make ups that have SPF in them. So if you can wear face powder, it might be a good way for you to get SPF

Fast Saver
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Copasetic View Post
    I saw the special face one, but I don't want to spend the money either. Maybe I'll get it if it goes on sale.

The regular one is great for my face because my skin tends towards the dry side, but if I was oily I probably wouldn't put it on my face. There are mineral make ups that have SPF in them. So if you can wear face powder, it might be a good way for you to get SPF
    Thanks for the advice! But I'm a guy and dont wear make up

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Keep looking for a hat!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I have this one too, also from Dollarama I find the sunscreen is hard to spread and takes a little longer to absorb into the skin compared to my usual brand, Ombrelle. The finish is powdery which is nice. It's not supposed to be for face but if it works, that's fine. My only concern would be wrinkles if you find that it kind of tugs while you rub into your skin.
    Last edited by mimi-; Sun, Jul 3rd, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
    Enjoy chatting on forums or blogs? Get paid $0.05+ per post at Postloop!

Fast Saver
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mimi- View Post
    I have this one too, also from Dollarama I find the sunscreen is hard to spread and takes a little longer to absorb into the skin compared to my usual brand, Ombrelle. The finish is powdery which is nice. It's not supposed to be for face but if it works, that's fine. My only concern would be wrinkles if you find that it kind of tugs while you rub into your skin.
    Maybe try mixing it with a little of your regular face lotion, not something for dry skin, maybe an oil free or water based one that is slightly thinner than the sunscreen

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

That was cute! This thread has been fun to read. You really don't know who you're talking to on these forums. I guess we shouldn't assume it's all women on here - actually I have noticed a few men lately.

What's cool is that on a later post you are giving advice on mixing the sunscreen with face lotion. Way to go! Soem guys coulnd't be bothered to get involved in a discussion like this. I like that you had input

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (80%)

I love HT. It is a little thick but it smells so nice and works really well. I take 6-7 kids to the beach everyday and this one protects them all even if they're in the water for hours.

Thread Information