User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Perhaps the only reason why the owner does your hair is because he/she doesn't depend on tips to pay his/her bills as he can sit there and make money off other hairdressers.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

i've tipped cashiers in the past

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Please do not tip the cashiers. They are not allowed to accept it and could get fired. Most companies have this type of policy. What was said earlier, is the best thing to do, and I would go one further, let the cashier know how much you appreciate the service they have given to you, as well as going to the service desk to send of a comment letter about your experience. Or you could even go on the store website and email a letter. Believe me the letter will get to the right people. I've been in retail for years, and years, and years....Now I feel old!!! LOL!!! There is nothing better that positive feedback from customers, and having it in writing really does go along way for the person's career, and yearly reviews.

Happy Savings Everyone!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by taylyn View Post
    Tipping does not solve the issue. Management should pay their staff minimum wage. Why one server gets a $20 as a tip to open a $100 bottle of wine while another gets $10 to open a $50 bottle when it's the same process of opening it is beyond me. If tipping were a non-issue and management would pay their staff minimum wage, everyone would be on the same playing field. The expectation used to be 5-10% - now some servers get upset of you don't give them 20% on TOP of the bill. If someone gave me less servicve because I do not tip, they sould be fired - they are getting PAID to do a good job regardless. I find the practice ridiculous and agree with european customs, it's out of control in north america. If people want to tip then that's fine and their decision, I expect the same consideration by choosing not to, that's all I show my appreciation by doing business at their locations! For example, I get my hair colored/done every 4 weeks. I do not tip on every visit - it's too expensive and equates to 4 less colors per year. They would rather have me a customer every 4 weeks then go elsewhere, everyone wins I pay the price they post, they get my continued business and referrals. Anyways, that is my personal view on it, I won't get offended if someone does tip everyone
    Someone like you ..who doesn't tip , why would you agree with the European Customs ? In most European countries the tip is already included in the meal price in the form of service charges / gratutities so you are indirectly forced to tip irrespective of whether you get good or bad service . You don't get a choice . Why should I pay a forced tip for bad service ? ..The tip is hidden in Europe .

In North America atleast you get a choice , if the service is bad you don't have to tip if you don't want to ..and if the service is good you can tip if you want to . So either way you get a choice & are not forced to tip in the form of included tip as in Europe.

So what do you do in Europe ? ..tell them to remove the service charge or gratutity which is already included in your bill because you don't tip .

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I asked a cashier that was super great if I called HO about my wonderful experience if they get credit and they sure do, HO will call their manager and then its gets to them. So far I have done this for 3 of the cashiers at walmart, I just thank them for being great and ask their name in order to call HO about my service and they gladly give you their name.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

Tipping cashiers is a big no-no...cashiers are not supposed to accept cash or gifts from customers as it could be seen like the cashier having taken money out of the till (possible theft, possible dismissal...all in all, it's bad...)

If I receive good service in a store, I tell the person who has served me how well they did, then I look for the manager (or get them called) and give rave reviews on that cashier/salesperson...They are usually so thankful and tell me that they will mention it in their next employee review, or during a manger's meeting...

When it comes to tipping in restaurants, we're not big tippers but we do leave something. I worked as a waitress before and never expected it...but as others have posted, most places the waitresses MUST split their tips with the cooks/busboys/etc...so it doesn't leave much for them at the end of the day if you don't tip them...whether you decide to tip or not will also reflect on what they will think of you next time, trust me... Have you ever seen the movie "Waiting"? There's a line in the movie that reflects tipping waitresses... "Don't mess with the people handling your food!" IMHO

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

I can see this thread getting ugly
    LF: $ 4.00 off any covergirl, 2.00 axe,RLF ARMSTRONG cheese, black diamond, 3.00 gain. 2.00 Majesta. Have 5.00 walmart gc.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i'm not against tipping.. if thats what it is a TIP it should never be expected or assumed.. if i have a very good experience where the service person went above and beyond (took extra time and care) i'm not against tipping (for example my last haircut, the woman talked to me about styles, made some suggestions after i showed her a few images, and took her time.. a good 45 minutes cutting my hair-i've had some hairdressers rush through taking 20 min) she was polite and friendly.. i gave her a tip, not a huge tip but knowing she could have rushed through it and didn't(she did it right working with my type of hair.. thin.. but LOTS of it) i appreciated that.. BUT i did not tip the taxi driver because hey.. he was just doing his job, he did not have to wait for me (i was waiting for him outside) he did not have to carry a bag or open the trunk, he didn't even get out of the car! and he expected a tip! that i don't agree with
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    31 (100%)

From where I work, tipping is a no no. But whenever we get a comment card from our customers who values our cashiers, (thanking for the great service etc.. esp on a very busy day), it brightens everyone's day esp the cashier mentioned. We also make sure that the H.O. gets the comment card. Some people think it is an easy job, but no. Ive been there and in those 8 hours, I get to encounter different kind of people that sure will make my day miserable.

So next time that you appreciate a good cashier service, take time to write a comment card, make sure you write the name of the cashier, store and location. Or if you are too busy, just take note of the name and later on at night, go to the stores website, and comment there. For sure they will be happy about it.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I spend a couple of months every winter in Mexico and never forget to tip the bag boy or girl at the grocery stores,walmarts,etc. They share with the cashier and the stocking staff. I would find it rude not to tip them. But up here in Canada,I've never considered tipping them. Although I am a generous tipper in restaurants,gas stations,hotels(including the staff at the complimentary breakfasts,which many people do not).

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by funky View Post
    Perhaps the only reason why the owner does your hair is because he/she doesn't depend on tips to pay his/her bills as he can sit there and make money off other hairdressers.
    Perhaps not. I was seeing her before she bought the salon. And those girls make a good living Why does it bother you so much? If one can't pay their bills and are "dependant" on tips, then find a better paying job - why is it MY responsibility to subsidize someone like that? Did you ever think this salon values customers and their business, especially ones who pay a lot of money in any given year, refer other clients and are loyal to them? If any business provided me with less service because of a "tip" amount I would not go there again. I pay their price, I am not robbing them lol If employees are dissatisfied with their earnings, I suggest they do more to improve their own situation. I am a single parent and made min wage back in high school. I chose to do what was necessary to improve that to make the living I do not, not being satisfied with minimum wage. Everyone else is free to do the same. If you want to tip everyone under the sun then do so - do not disrespect me because I choose not to.
    "Define yourself do not live by definition"

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Actually even some restaurants here have started to include tips in the bill for groups of more then 8.

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by funky View Post
    Actually even some restaurants here have started to include tips in the bill for groups of more then 8.
    yea i noticed that
    i was at real sports bar and grill in toronto and they automatically add a 'gratuity' and expect you to add more!

Coupon Crazy
    Trading Score
    181 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by taylyn View Post
    Perhaps not. I was seeing her before she bought the salon. And those girls make a good living Why does it bother you so much? If one can't pay their bills and are "dependant" on tips, then find a better paying job - why is it MY responsibility to subsidize someone like that? Did you ever think this salon values customers and their business, especially ones who pay a lot of money in any given year, refer other clients and are loyal to them? If any business provided me with less service because of a "tip" amount I would not go there again. I pay their price, I am not robbing them lol If employees are dissatisfied with their earnings, I suggest they do more to improve their own situation. I am a single parent and made min wage back in high school. I chose to do what was necessary to improve that to make the living I do not, not being satisfied with minimum wage. Everyone else is free to do the same. If you want to tip everyone under the sun then do so - do not disrespect me because I choose not to.
    It is never expected to tip the owner of an establishment; etiquette says that they have set their prices to where they expect to make a profit. So you aren't wrong by not tipping the owner who does your hair.

As for food servers, I think that you are way, way out of line by not tipping them. You are in effect stealing from them because they have to declare 15% of what they sell as tips (and in today's world it's very easy for Revenue Canada to get that information from the computerized systems) and pay tax on it regardless of whether they get that much or not. They also have to tip other employees based on their tip, so if they get nothing from you, they have to take cash out of their pockets so serving you actually cost them money.

You may not like the system, but that is the way things work here. And you're darn right if I was ever a server in a restaurant for you, you would get the slowest service while I took care of my customers that I was actually getting paid to serve, rather than the one who would cost me money. Feel free to complain to the service industry that you don't agree with tipping, but don't take out your beliefs on the poor people who are busting their butts to take care of their families.

And heaven help you if you ever go on a cruise and don't pay your tips- you'll get exactly what you deserve.

Yes, I'm angry, because I believe you are being selfish and stealing from these employees. I'm not a big tipper myself- I figure 15% is plenty. I don't tip taxi drivers often, nor do I put money in "tip jars" at coffee shops or the like. But there are some situations where it is beyond inappropriate NOT to tip, and I can't believe you refuse to understand that.

It is entirely irrelevant what other countries do. You're right; I don't tip in China or Thailand. But when in Canada, you need to follow Canadian practices.

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Calm down in here please.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information