User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    shaykeija
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Well I am not in food service and not a cashier. But we get tips on a regular basis. Why? Because we treat out customers great, and they appreciated it. One of my staff got a $20 tip. I laughed and told him the guy just wanted a date.LOL We do stuff for seniors and most of the time we charge them nothing. They will most of the time give $5 and say that is what it is worth to them. Other tips we received, a crap load of home made wine, Nona cookies, and a $400 coo coo clock. The nicest tip I received was a solid oak nativity set. Took a truck to get it home. 2 stories with a ladder hay and the man went to a gift shop and bought all the animals, Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus made out of bone china. Wired with a star and angel and lights. This old guy had lost his wife and when he was lonely he would come and sit in our shop and talk. He did this for months. What I did not know is that he was an artist and my piece was the last one he did. He died 6 months later.
    Last edited by Shaykeija; Tue, Jul 19th, 2011 at 11:18 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sarajk View Post
    Hydro staff will be getting over time.
    so $40 vs $8....slight difference.

On that note, working as a bartender I have had people buy hydro staff that has just come off their shift a beer for their hard work.
    And they left tips.
    Sure they get overtime, they deserve it for what they do! Min wage is higher than $8, at least where I am, so waiters make more than that. Not $40 an hr of course, but they aren't working outside in the conditions and aren't made to work overtime and don't have to work overnight if they aren't in a 24/7 restaurant. They aren't climbing over broken trees risking injury around power lines either. I just think there is a lot of hard working people out there who don't get tips. So I guess I just don't get the justification in giving to some and not others.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

there are tons of jobs out there that pay minimum wage that are far more physically exhausting than waitressing, and they don't have the opportunity of having a job 'perk' of tips....................many people go into the restaurant industry to be servers, specifically for the tips ......many of them make double their salary in tips, as well.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kelsie94 View Post
    This topic has been quite interesting. On the weekend, my husband went into the local beer mart. He opened the cooler, took out the box of beer, brought it to the counter and paid for it. The guy behind the counter....who just rings in the sale.....picked up and jingled a glass jar that had the word "tips" on it. Can you imagine? My husband just shook his head, said "you've got to be kidding me" and walked out! How can someone expect a tip for essentially doing nothing! The strangest part is that there was actually money in that tip jar!

It's strange that they picked it up and jingled it, I wouldn't tip after that either. The people I know who work at a liquor store like to draw cartoons on the tip jar or write something lighthearted asking for change. I think that works a lot better. A lot of people aren't worried about throwing 50 cents in the jar, and it adds up at a busy place. Still weird that he shook the jar though, maybe he was new or something.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    45 (100%)

ive been tipped before... like 5 bucks ... i work in a mall right next to a starbucks... so they always tell me to go get a coffee!! its pretty awesome!! they say they're going to get me a drink ( and i dont like takinhg drinks from strangers ) so they just give me the money for later! i think its fun sometimes!!
    check out a trade bundle i have....
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/194029-...ewbies-canada/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When I was young my grandparents would take me out for dinner sometimes. My grandparents were nice but incredibly cheap like some people we've all heard about. He used to leave a $2 tip no matter what the bill was, and he somehow thought he was being nice for leaving anything at all. I started sneaking money under a plate when we were about to leave because I didn't have the heart to tell them how embarrassing it is to eat out with them once the bill comes.

The sad thing is though, some people have no shame, even after you explain to them that they will personally cost a server money, they are so selfish they only see a few bucks saved for themselves.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    267 (100%)

I used to work in a restaurant.. I never made more than Min. wage, and the type of establishment that it was, I hardly got tips, since it was mostly regulars coming in. However, If i picked up a bar shift (8pm til 4am) I could make anywhere from $5 to $200 in tips depending on the customers. I always refused tips, as I was just a teenager working part time for some extra spending money. We didn't have a tip pool kind of thing there, but when my Sister worked at Crabby Joes as a Hostess, she made less than Min. Wage.. And had to split tips with everyone there. She would always see a 'tip out' on her pay stub, but it was never more than $10 a month.

I refuse to tip rude/snotty servers. If the food/service/staff is friendly and nice, I will tip 5%, sometimes 10% depending on the staff/establishment. I recently went to a bar and grill out of town with my hubby for a date. The place was advertised as a nice place to go... We were in a room that was smaller than our 3bedroom apartment. It had 5 tables to choose from , or a bar. The waitress we had ignored us most of the meal, she came to take our order, and didn't come back until our food was gone. She didn't ask if we liked it, she just asked "You want dessert or your check?" .... No tip for her.

Anyways, I usually give cashier's coupons aswell... I ALWAYS leave positive feedback for them if they were great, however, if their snooty they get bad feedback.
    Click here to view my Wishlist & Tradelist!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I am not going to give my opinion here i am going to keep it to myself however I will clear up one thing at least in ontario min. wage for servers is less than min. wage for everyone else.
    TWO 20% KONG PRODUCT AVAILABLE FOR TRADE<dl style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-size: 14px; font: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; width: 881px; clear: both; "></dl>

Trading Score
    19 (95%)

I think I will give this a shot!

I use to work as a waitress. back then we got 6.55$/hr which was wayy less then minimum wage (at the time min wage was 8.25). The tips are what helped me make a decent pay. Here, in Quebec we get taxed on tips regardless if you get them or not! The percentage, which I can't recall what it is ( I think it's 8% of each bill), is taken off your pay period. I ALWAYS tip 15% ( which comes to the total tax value here in Quebec) if the service is so so I will bring the 15% down to about 10%.

But even so, having myself being a waitress at one point in my life I know for a fact that tips are what makes your salary a decent one.

Here's an interesting story:

I got tipped 25 cents on a 60$ order once. I gave an excellent service and was very friendly to the table (business men). When I saw my tip the gentlemen left me I was fuming, but being the clever one here's what I did. I went to the peanut machine, got a small shot glass, took his quarter, placed it in the machine and filled the glass with peanuts. Went back to the table, placed the glass in front of him and told him very condescendingly '' here's what you get for a Quarter!'' I handed him another quarter and told him '' Oh! and by the way here take this one back. I think you need it more then I do!''

What I didn't know was that he was taking ''potential''' future customers out for lunch. One of the guys sitting with him stopped me from walking away and asked if a quarter was all I got. I said yes. He then told his future ''business partner'' Lets hope you wont do business that way because you can count us out''. He then ( the second guy) handed me a 20$ dollar bill and apologise for the first guy's rudeness. I gave a big smile to the first guy and told him ''thank you. Come again!''

Anyway, a long story just to say that I know how maddening it can be to not be tipped accordingly.

Tipping service people yes! Tipping cashiers at WM. I don't think so!
    Last edited by quebecqueen; Wed, Jul 20th, 2011 at 11:11 AM.
    Earn free points, get a chance to win a great contest.. Follow this link it's worth you time I swear

Or this link as well for Quebec residents..Free GC and more..

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood1818 View Post
    I am not going to give my opinion here i am going to keep it to myself however I will clear up one thing at least in ontario min. wage for servers is less than min. wage for everyone else.
    Yes, if it's a Licensed premise and they serve liquor directly to customers, than as of this past May, they make $8.90 per hr (Liquor Servers Min. Wage) instead of $10.25 an hr (General Min. Wage) in ON.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by taylyn View Post
    I don't believe in tipping - at all. The posted price is what I pay. I believe it is not my job to subsidize others who make a lesser wage. I get a salary to do my job and I certainly do not expect clients to pay me more. And a cashier and tipping? Absolutely NOT. They get paid to be a cashier - if they want to earn more, there are ways of doing that rather than expecting customers to hand over THEIR hard earned money.
    I agree with you, well said. I'm sorry but I do my job without getting tipped, these people get money for their job. I would rather donate that money to charity. I give them a smile and a thanks.
    Last edited by maliha44; Wed, Jul 20th, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
    Wanna get paid giftcards and Paypal cash? Join Swagbucks right now!
    Don't you want free giftcards, prizes and money just for clicking?
    I've earned $180! Join Superpoints today

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38

sorry I should mention this is a clip from reservoir dogs... youtube seems to think it's ok but there is a tiny bit of swearing
    Last edited by muggos0101; Sun, Jul 24th, 2011 at 02:23 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread Information