User Tag List

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

So I go into my local Sobey's this evening because I have the $0.50 off Oasis juice coupons (x2) and wanted to get the dollar deal and when I get there, there was a man clearing the entire shelf. All the real good kinds were already in his brimming cart which was overflowing with cartons of juice. I grabbed four (paid the full $1.00 on two because it was still a good price), then I finished my shopping.

When I came back around the front of the store, there he was again. There was another display of the oasis juice at the front of the store and he was emptying that one as well. No idea if this fellow was couponing, but I felt a little angry...I have been having a crappy day anyways, but I couldnt help but feel cranky about this...was I wrong? No one on this planet (not even JimBob and Michelle) need this much juice.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

He could have lots of thirsty children and their friends.Maybe he was auditioning for Extreme Couponing or maybe buying for a camp.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (80%)

In my area alot of corner stores stock up on sale items to resell. Especially pop, juice and water.

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Meyou View Post
    In my area alot of corner stores stock up on sale items to resell. Especially pop, juice and water.

I agree. I have seen people do this as well. Sometimes grocery store sale prices are better than what it costs small shop owners to get from their suppliers!

In fact, I saw one A&W owner go to McGavins Bread Basket and buy their day old hamburger buns en masse. I wonder what the A&W head office would have to say about that if they knew!!!!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

I would have said something like " leave some for the rest of us, will ya?"

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Awe that really sucks!

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Meyou View Post
    This is sad. A place by my house sells the 710mL pepsi's that clearly on the back say "not for individual sale". I see these on sale at shoppers and GT all the time for like $2 for a 6 pack and they sell them $2 per bottle!

But back to the op, I hate shelf clearers this is why I am actually glad to see when stores put limits on the amount of deals they can take out of the stores!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Hopefully this guy was organizing a family reunion or something and not being a hoarder. Be glad that you didn't buy 100 bottles of juice just because you had a coupon or it was cheap. Shelf clearers are rude!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsjen View Post
    This is sad. A place by my house sells the 710mL pepsi's that clearly on the back say "not for individual sale". I see these on sale at shoppers and GT all the time for like $2 for a 6 pack and they sell them $2 per bottle!

But back to the op, I hate shelf clearers this is why I am actually glad to see when stores put limits on the amount of deals they can take out of the stores!
    I've seen quite a few places where I live sell 710mL individually.

Trading Score
    44 (100%)

I'm not sure there's a rule about clearing the shelves...it's just courtesy to your fellow smart canuckers. I was pretty ticked this morning to find that there wasn't a single can of gilette shave gel for $1.50 on the shelf...if I had seen that person's cart I think I may have given them an evil look or more. Seriously, even if you are donating it you don't need to take every single item on the shelf!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Witnessing it is one thing, but seeing an empty shelf and saying - someone cleared it - is generally untrue, especially with Walmart. When I see a hot sale on or an empty, or almost empty shelf of a sale item, I sometimes place a "marker", something to tell me if the shelf is restocked, or even re-faced, the next time i'm there. 90% of the time, WM doesn't restock sale items on shelves until they raise the price again. WM South Common did that this time around with the ladies shave gel, and they did it a few weeks ago with the mens. The last time I saw the ladies gel at S Cmn was on Sunday, so their stock did last at least 10 days. The first day for the sale (Friday the 8th) I counted the stock, because I was buying quite a few for donation. There were 8 types on the shelf, 60+ of each kind, so almost 500 cans. Every time I went in there were fewer and fewer until they were gone.

I'm pretty sure they won't restock the lower priced Aspirin for awhile either, watching both SA Cmn and Capilano on that one.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lanand View Post
    Witnessing it is one thing, but seeing an empty shelf and saying - someone cleared it - is generally untrue, especially with Walmart. When I see a hot sale on or an empty, or almost empty shelf of a sale item, I sometimes place a "marker", something to tell me if the shelf is restocked, or even re-faced, the next time i'm there. 90% of the time, WM doesn't restock sale items on shelves until they raise the price again. WM South Common did that this time around with the ladies shave gel, and they did it a few weeks ago with the mens. The last time I saw the ladies gel at S Cmn was on Sunday, so their stock did last at least 10 days. The first day for the sale (Friday the 8th) I counted the stock, because I was buying quite a few for donation. There were 8 types on the shelf, 60+ of each kind, so almost 500 cans. Every time I went in there were fewer and fewer until they were gone.

I'm pretty sure they won't restock the lower priced Aspirin for awhile either, watching both SA Cmn and Capilano on that one.
    I hear ya. I wanted to go back to see if they restocked the glad zipper bags (also completely gone) but I doubt they will. Not sure its worth my time to go back just for one box!! It was somewhat amusing to watch this guy because every time I looked at him he had a new cart, filling it up. I would feel like a dumbass. But...I guess he has his reasons.

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

If I saw a major chain store selling the can't sell separately. I would contact their head office or I would contact Coke or Pepsi just because it ticks me off.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Alevry78 View Post
    So I go into my local Sobey's this evening because I have the $0.50 off Oasis juice coupons (x2) and wanted to get the dollar deal and when I get there, there was a man clearing the entire shelf. All the real good kinds were already in his brimming cart which was overflowing with cartons of juice. I grabbed four (paid the full $1.00 on two because it was still a good price), then I finished my shopping.

When I came back around the front of the store, there he was again. There was another display of the oasis juice at the front of the store and he was emptying that one as well. No idea if this fellow was couponing, but I felt a little angry...I have been having a crappy day anyways, but I couldnt help but feel cranky about this...was I wrong? No one on this planet (not even JimBob and Michelle) need this much juice.
    Seriously...the store manager really should have stepped in and limited his purchase (Especially if he was clearing out their entire stock).

If he is a fellow couponer, he SHOULD have called ahead and had the store pre-order the items.

Firstly, he wouldn't look like such a hoarder and secondly...it's just plain courtesy to the rest of us who'd like to catch the deal as well.

Thread Information