User Tag List

Winnipeg Airmiler
    Trading Score
    215 (100%)

I went to a STORE in Winnipeg. I had a coupon for $2.50 and my item cost me .99. I asked about the policy that the store had where they will not give you the credit for the full amount of the coupon and I was told, "If you have a coupon for $2.50 you can only use .99 cents of it."

It got me wondering. I can't accumulate two/three of the same item to get the max vaule out of my coupon. That means they get an additional $1.49 that they can literally pocket. To me that is theft. If as a cashier I was over in my cash it was a serious problem. I remember you always had to balance. So you tell me who is 'pocketing' the difference? I think there would be a good case to investigate for fraud that no one in the coupon business is thinking about to be honest.

The fraud being the stores who are taking those coupons and keeping the difference. I wonder if any of the stores who won't accept the coupons for larger balance think about that potential repercussion. I wonder if the stores who accept the coupon and won't give you the difference have ever been reported to the coupon company for investigation. You either give them the customer the full credit of the coupon, or you don't accept it - period.

I think this is something that someone out there needs to point out to these stores... I tried, but I think I have to write a letter...
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

which store in Wpg did you go to ?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

[QUOTE=debragirl31;3662144] So you tell me who is 'pocketing' the difference?

It is the store who pockets the difference. I had the same problem at RCSS on an item that was $1.49 and my coupon was for $2.00 off they would not honor the coupon for the full value, they would only honor $1.49 of it. It was a Procter and Gamble product and I wrote to them about this issue. I just recieved a letter back from them and they told me that RCSS would get the full value of the coupon plus a handling fee returned to them. So in the end it is actually RCSS who is ripping off Procter and Gamble, and I the consumer loose. RCSS would not let me apply the overage to other products I was purchasing, ( I can understand not giving me cash back) but at least let me apply the overage to something else considering they are getting the full value of the coupon back plus handling fee! You can write a letter to the manufacturer of the coupon, that is all I can suggest. Anyways that is my two cents on this issue that is very frustrating!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just use those coupons at the end of a large shop and they manually type in the coupon amount without even looking at what the original price was. I don't think I've ever not gotten the overage. I'm positive I've done this at Walmart, Superstore, & Zellers.
    Good luck!

Trading Score
    26 (93%)

Shrugs. If it's in their policy that they don't give overages, then just shop somewhere that does. Personally I have no problem with Safeway giving me 99c since it covers the product AND I get a 2.50 coupon from the bag which means I got the free product plus my coupon back. That's a flipping good deal on it's own and a deal that most people would be happy with. When did it stop being good enough to get something for free, and only really considered a couponing success if manufacturers pay for some of the couponers groceries too?

I think that is just a sad state of affairs and it's little wonder couponing has such a bad rep.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort - Herm Albright (1876-1944)

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

I will take free ...if they want to keep the difference fine with me....

Trading Score
    26 (93%)

Yep. I'm not against overage. Heck, I love walmart's overage policy to bits! It's just that between here, facebook and other resources, I've been seeing a lot of negativity towards stores not granting overage. It just gets me. I've seen multiple people using the terms fraud in reference to the stores. I just.. I can't speak for all safeways but the one I shop at actually writes the item cost on the coupon so they only claim that amount precisely to avoid fraud. As much as I love the walmart overages, that seems far more fraudulent because the manufacturers are then paying for items other than their own product and I know for sure that is not their intent..lol

I guess it's all perspective and at the end of the day, it's each to their own.
    Just wanted to share some different ways to look at it.. you know me and my positive spin on things. LOL
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort - Herm Albright (1876-1944)

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    83 (100%)

I d have to agree with you wpgafwife. I am not trying to attack any one in any way by saying any of this so please try not to take any offense to it....Don t most coupons state no cash value or something like that...So to me when a company give you cash value for the coupon weether it be cash back or towards your basket would be more fraudulent then anything. I understand that the stores make billions each year so it does hurt to see them get even more for nothing. But just because it doesn t work in your favor there s no need to get in a fuss about it. Greed only gets us so far...can t always get something for nothing.

Trading Score
    26 (93%)

Quote Originally Posted by stacymarie View Post
    I d have to agree with you wpgafwife. I am not trying to attack any one in any way by saying any of this so please try not to take any offense to it....Don t most coupons state no cash value or something like that...So to me when a company give you cash value for the coupon weether it be cash back or towards your basket would be more fraudulent then anything. I understand that the stores make billions each year so it does hurt to see them get even more for nothing. But just because it doesn t work in your favor there s no need to get in a fuss about it. Greed only gets us so far...can t always get something for nothing.
    Well put and far more clear than what I said..lol I really ought not to type so late at night. *grins*

Winnipeg Airmiler
    Trading Score
    215 (100%)

I went to a Safeway and they took my .99 coupon did not write the amount on it and put it into their 'til. I got a call from the Manager advising that the clerk should have written the dollar value on it, and that in fact they did a check on the cashier's til. They found my transaction and my purchases, and then found that at the end of the day the cashier balanced exactly. I had 20 coupons which gave a $1.49 credit.

I don't think I was being 'greedy' in looking at this issue and in fact was correct that there was a fraud occuring within the store. I worry about the effect that it has on us all as couponers when this happens.

Thanks though to everyone for your thoughts. No offence taken at your comments. When you put yourself out there it is nice to see different perspectives.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I think that's the reason most cpns should have a place to write down the value of the product ..unfortunately very few do .

So if there was a place to write down the value of the product on the cpn ..this particular store could have written 99 cents on it ..so you get the product for free + the MFR doesn't get ripped of either .

The price should only be written down if the product price is below the cpn value ..if product price is same or higher than the cpn then they shouldn't write the price so as to save time .

Trading Score
    26 (93%)

Quote Originally Posted by debragirl31 View Post
    I went to a Safeway and they took my .99 coupon did not write the amount on it and put it into their 'til. I got a call from the Manager advising that the clerk should have written the dollar value on it, and that in fact they did a check on the cashier's til. They found my transaction and my purchases, and then found that at the end of the day the cashier balanced exactly. I had 20 coupons which gave a $1.49 credit.

I don't think I was being 'greedy' in looking at this issue and in fact was correct that there was a fraud occuring within the store. I worry about the effect that it has on us all as couponers when this happens.

Thanks though to everyone for your thoughts. No offence taken at your comments. When you put yourself out there it is nice to see different perspectives.
    Yeah, cashier should always put the amount on the coupon. Slip ups happen though I guess. Sometimes I find with Safeway, as with many stores, the cashier coupon training seems to be very hit and miss and can vary drastically from checkout to checkout. It can be very frustrating. I wonder at times how they expect us to get their rules right when they don't know them half the time. lol and yes, it's always good to see different perspectives. You gave me much to think about too

Glad it got sorted.

Thread Information